Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 28 Apr 2016 07:42 #76157

• Unfenswinger
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 5
Unless you were at the demo it's not obvious why there was an NDA especially at a reasonably public venue at a trade show which are usually used to get the message out rather than keep things quiet.

With respect, I suspect most of us believe FCPX has a very bright and exciting future without the need to attend a demo so it's the details that really matter and speculation is just a bit of fun and no need to get wound up by.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 28 Apr 2016 09:11 #76159

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 662
... funny, how that NDA-thing gets so much attention.

Outside our lil' habitat, on many trade-shows, 'anybody' can visit demoes, but has to sign an NDA... for example when comparisons to competitor products are shown, the advocats would ask for such a sheet

I remember 83/84 (?) when Philips demoed CD first time.... all you needed was to identify as 'journalist' and sign a paper...

trivia:
impressive demoe, a huuuuge desk, nicely lit size of a cassette player a top-loading CDplayer. On request "Is this an actual working prototype?", the presenter allowed a view under the desk: ... tons of electronics, cables, boxes, stuff.... :woohoo:

ooops, did I violate an NDA right now??

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 29 Apr 2016 12:15 #76224

• chrisb
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
So...

An update to iMovie just dropped.
This is usually a good indicator of what to expect of FCPX updates.

There seems to be a really interesting indication of something big(!) coming to FCPX soon (highlighted in green)

Attachments:

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 29 Apr 2016 12:18 #76225

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
Nothing included in that iMovie update pertains to FCPX, just adding FCPX functions. So no, there's no indicator of what may come in FCPX in this iMovie update. Unless you think a New Project "button" is a major new feature.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 29 Apr 2016 12:21 #76226

• chrisb
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Was a sarcasm smiley really *that* necessary? ;)

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 29 Apr 2016 12:32 #76227

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Wait, the next update will have sarcastic smilies? THAT is the pro feature I personally MUST HAVE! :pinch:

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 29 Apr 2016 12:53 #76229

• chrisb
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Not only that, rumour also has it that there will be overall performance improvements...

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 09 May 2016 23:03 #76514

• daviddelreal
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Sooooo.... 10.3 tomorrow????

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 09 May 2016 23:12 #76515

• davechap
  • davechap's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • I'm like a 900 page Harry Potter novel.
  • Thank you received: 19
While we are waiting, Adobe just moved from a 30 day free trial to a 7 day. FCPX is still a full 30 days to try it out. Not sure the reasoning, but it comes across very poorly.

blogs.adobe.com/adobecare/2016/05/09/upd...eative-cloud-trials/

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 09 May 2016 23:22 #76516

• daviddelreal
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6

davechap wrote: While we are waiting, Adobe just moved from a 30 day free trial to a 7 day. FCPX is still a full 30 days to try it out. Not sure the reasoning, but it comes across very poorly.

blogs.adobe.com/adobecare/2016/05/09/upd...eative-cloud-trials/

Crazy. I'm cancelling my subscription in a couple weeks when it ends. FCPX, Motion and Compressor pretty much fill my needs along with Pixelmator, Photoshop Elements, DaVinci Resolve and Digital Performer/Pro Tools for audio. No need to feed the Adobe CC machine anymore. Also, with all of the great 3rd party plugins now available for FCPX it seems that there's no reason to use anything else.

Looking forward to the next release.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 10 May 2016 02:18 #76518

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
The same high pressure tactics a used car salesman uses. ugh...

Glad I'm a "Bro".

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 10 May 2016 04:50 #76519

• Karsten Schlüter

davechap wrote: While we are waiting, Adobe just moved from a 30 day free trial to a 7 day...Not sure the reasoning, ...

well, the reason is to make more 'trial' .... those who 'testing' it by completing their wedding movies get hasty now :pinch:

to ensure that trial lengths align more accurately with how trials are being used, we are making some adjustments to the program.Beginning May 9th, 2016 the length of the trial period for Creative Cloud will be standardized worldwide to 7 days.

Interesting move...
a) no more need for new customers, Adobe sells enough subscriptions?
b) Adobe targets 'pro' only, hobbyists like me should purchase AP/elements ....?
c) those who need a longer test-period should pay a month ... or two … ka-ching! =30$

.... easy to answer, hm? "pay for a test ride" .... enough will do.
will effect other companies, I'm sure.-

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 10 May 2016 04:57 #76520

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60
Perhaps many people were using the 30 day trial to open and revise old projects to avoid a one month rental.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 10 May 2016 08:44 #76521

• Unfenswinger
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I freed myself from Adobe dependency years ago when they began selling their Master Collection online. At the time the £-$ exchange rate was around 2:1 but the Adobe pricing effectively meant UK users were paying 2x what a US customer was paying.

I struggled early on with the GIMP but when Pixelmator and now Affinity Photo and Designer arrive it became so much easier to ditch Adobe, I love Affinity Photo. I always preferred Motion to AE and used Shake for compositing now I use Fusion. When I was doing a bit of Web work I used Flux a little known App that blows Dreamweaver out of the water for creating clean code.

Clearly for the Adobe money making bloatware racket 30 days trial period is far too generous. I'm very happy to spend my money with all these smaller developers who are often much more responsive to customer feedback and don't just see customers as resources to pillage.

End of rant...

Roll on the FCPX update. If the energy was so high at the NAB demo it must be 10.3 coming and I'm excited to see what direction the Pro Apps team are taking FCPX. I'm surprised that absolutely no hint of what the new features are coming has leaked out online, those Apple NDAs must put the fear of god in people or everyone at the demo were thoroughly decent people who would never leak the goods...

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 10 May 2016 08:54 #76522

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
  • Thank you received: 46
Ufenswinger you raise 2 great points, the cost of rental outside is often more than in the USA, something I feel Adobe and others have failed to grasp, the only real reason I am on FCPX, costs are once off, take the hit once, job done.

The 2nd is yeah, not a single leak, gosh Apple Pro dev should design submarines, completely watertight/airtight, it must be so tempting to say something, and how many watched over the 2 days, and not a single confirmed letter of the alphabet leaked!!!

The CIA must wonder how Apple does it, total silence, now just the big wait to see what the silence has been about...so frustrating to have missed out...FOMO massive here... :blush:

PS..can you wear out a button on an app??? I have pressed update hundreds of times... :silly:

Last edit: by MsJustine.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 10 May 2016 09:16 #76523

• Karsten Schlüter

Unfenswinger wrote: …Roll on the FCPX update. ...

I have no clue of hardware, and I'm aware the nMP has AMD products inside, but reading arcticles about the new Nvidia GTX1080, its features, its pricing, its power consumption, the timing (release weekend before WWDC) and the need to 'adopt' software to new hardware=developer task ....

=> I wouldn't be surprised to see a demo of nMP2 with a new vers. of FCPX on 13th of June ....
ok, many ifs.... :silly:

.. and it would explain the secrecy... why talking about the improved render speeds, complex realtime effects, 16k support etc of FCPX10.3, when you can not buy the hardware yet...?

... my 5¢ …

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 10 May 2016 09:18 #76524

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
  • Thank you received: 46
um...Apple often announce new things in advance of the actual launch date, a new macOS will be announced June 13th, but only come to the app store a few weeks later, so with that in mind, get the publicity out, today, then on WWDC day, announce a spanking new MacPro, and release the actual update 1 hour after WWDC presentation, I am sure sales would hit a record!!!

Just want to know what others know, my FOMO is through the roof... :oops: :oops: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Last edit: by MsJustine.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 10 May 2016 10:27 #76525

• Unfenswinger
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Karsten Schlüter wrote:

Unfenswinger wrote: …Roll on the FCPX update. ...

I have no clue of hardware, and I'm aware the nMP has AMD products inside, but reading arcticles about the new Nvidia GTX1080, its features, its pricing, its power consumption, the timing (release weekend before WWDC) and the need to 'adopt' software to new hardware=developer task ....

=> I wouldn't be surprised to see a demo of nMP2 with a new vers. of FCPX on 13th of June ....
ok, many ifs.... :silly:

.. and it would explain the secrecy... why talking about the improved render speeds, complex realtime effects, 16k support etc of FCPX10.3, when you can not buy the hardware yet...?

... my 5¢ …

My suspicion/guess call it what you like regarding FCPX is Apple are doing something that hasn't been done before in the next FCPX update and probably it isn't tied to hardware. One of the FCPXWorks presenters hinted that it would definitely be some thing that would be copied. From that hint I deduce whatever the new feature/s is it's not in the competitors' products. They've obviously got a great foundation with FCPX's core and can extend it where they like as we've seen with the features they have added. I just hope the update isn't 360Video/VR related....

I just replaced my 12 core cMP with the 5k iMac instead of the nMP because there's nothing that the nMP offers my workflow. If Apple had given me a really good reason to get the nMP or waited for the nMP 2.0. I can edit multiple streams of UHD with LUTs, grades effects and titles in realtime so I couldn't make the case for the nMP 2.0 and I have the luxury of not working on last minute work so I don't need instant renders (not that the iMac is slow, far from it).

Look out for an Apple branded eGPU chassis in the future, I reckon an iMac + eGPU will be the new MP. I don't think there's much of a market for the Mac Pro any more. I've always had Mac Pros and I bought an iMac so there's one less customer and I don't anticipate >4K being of much use to my clients at all so 8K or 16K nah, not in my lifetime.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 10 May 2016 11:14 #76527

• Karsten Schlüter

Unfenswinger wrote: ... Look out for an Apple branded eGPU chassis in the future, I reckon an iMac + eGPU will be the new MP. I don't think there's much of a market for the Mac Pro any more. ....

... which asks for a TB3 equipped iMac... but, yeah, interesting concept, add a 1k$ shoebox and convert your desktop into a supercomputer :woohoo:
And as your story tells - who's interested in a designate MacPro anyhow? The hobos under the editors (Peter will ban me for that phrase eternally :silly: ) ... but then you need some beast of display on location = a supercharged Retina iMac seems 'better'..... less handy, but better.

Only catch:
nMP is 'Assembled in the USofA' .... 2y ago lots of PR-drumrolls on that. Stopping production would give bad press ..... but maybe they can assemble watch-bands too .... (we all heard Cooks comment on qualified workers...).

anyhow, thilling future ..............

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 10 May 2016 11:46 #76530

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
" those Apple NDAs must put the fear of god in people or everyone at the demo were thoroughly decent people who would never leak the goods..."

Both, because Apple's lawyers are WAY more expensive and bigger than yours, and they're all just good, honest "professionals" who attended.

As far as the comment about competitors replicating the new features that may or may not have been shown, that's a given. Every new feature FCPX has introduced, has been copied, in a much less efficient manner, by Adobe PPro. Something PPro users are very hesitant to talk about. Several told me at NAB Show 2016, "well Adobe added metadata stuff to PPro, so what?" So what, is that it is a separate application, and still isn't nearly as powerful or flexible or easy or act as FCPX, period. So let them copy away, just like they did with legacy FCP.

A letter of the alphabet, as a hint? Ok, I'll give you a letter that starts a word that has to do with what I saw at the FCP Exchange Apple presentation. "G" Does that help at all? No? Well, you asked, you got it.

Future FCPX updates have always, and will always, work with the power inside the OS, not the hardware, primarily. FCPX or any other Apple software update has never been dependent on "future hardware".

Bear in mind that the iMac has used mobile device class CPUs and GPUs in its life. Mac Pros have exclusively used enterprise desktop class CPUs and GPUs. So it takes a much bigger jump in CPU and GPU power to update them. And CPUs and GPUs simply are not advancing as fast as they once did. Just food for thought.

Personally, my advice is to chill, and wait for later this year to see anything hardware or software that is worth while. I don't know anything factually, just my best educated guess, based on Apple's history.