Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 29 Oct 2016 18:37 #81612

• EditorGuy
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 36
Also, we were told yesterday that a TON of improvements and changes were made under the hood to the underlying technology. This helps stability, performance, and helps open avenues to future new features.

If one doesn't think this is a major upgrade, I'm inclined to think one hasn't used this version much to its full potential.

Anyway, being able to assign roles to individual audio channels. Being able to not only adjust and keyframe volume, pan, and effects on a per channel bases, at the same time apply those adjustments to the audio clip as a whole, too. Being able to search custom metadata lanes, Select ranges of audio in the audio effects browser, and copy that stuff directly into an Event without touching a Timeline. There's tons of stuff that is very helpful. This is a very major upgrade.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 29 Oct 2016 18:53 #81613

• damiangrady
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6

CBlakeston wrote: Editors before 10.3:
Waghh. Apple doesn't care about us. They don't do enough.

Editors after 10.3:
Waghh. Apple doesn't care about us. They updated all the wrong things and didn't implement 'x' feature I need for my specific edge case workflow.

When did we become so entitled?

Here here.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 29 Oct 2016 19:03 #81614

• Gabba84
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
So far I'm quite happy with the new version. The new UI is minimal as usual but also more "professional" than before (just look at the magic wand icon). The "show audio lanes" (which I renamed "Impress client button") its really useful. I was hoping for a way to choose between more than one "better performance" options, because I must admit that premiere can playback at lower quality files that final cut, on the same machine, can't. I'll send a feedback about that :). Anyway, I'm the kind of editor who ask for speed and performance, for not having to transcode 6k Red footage, because deadlines don't allow the waste of time of making proxies. Stuff like that. Talking about editing speed fcpx is still the winner, when handling native codecs and avoiding transcoding premiere rules. Luckily, the first point is still the more important.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 29 Oct 2016 19:26 #81617

• robertdee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Don't get the complaining - huge update that will take time to settle in n with. Massive changes. Just saw Resovle has been updated to add support for FCPX's new xml which should be great for those of us who roundtrip. Assuming Fusion by proxy as well then.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 29 Oct 2016 19:27 #81618

• drewboyd
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
10.3 is awesome. Love role lanes, but one of the simplest things is my favorite new feature --- CMD + Up / CMD + Down to cycle through "above and below" storyline clips. Been a long time coming and it makes everything so much easier.

Let's remember this embarrassment of riches next time there is a long window between updates. The most efficient NLE just ran laps around Premier and Avid.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 30 Oct 2016 02:04 #81625

• ButchM
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10

CBlakeston wrote: Editors before 10.3:
Waghh. Apple doesn't care about us. They don't do enough.

Editors after 10.3:
Waghh. Apple doesn't care about us. They updated all the wrong things and didn't implement 'x' feature I need for my specific edge case workflow.

When did we become so entitled?

+1 ... perhaps those folks disappointed with 10.3 should demand their upgrade fee be refunded ... oh wait ... :dry:

I'm never 100% content with major UI shifts, but I usually adapt quickly and end up observing how the prior UI looks outdated in short order.

From a form and function standpoint, I think that 10.3 is going to allow me to do more work, more efficiently which will definitely enhance my bottom line ... all at no additional cost to me.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 30 Oct 2016 05:21 #81628

• nils.dettmann
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
Actually I don't see too many people complaining.
Somebody was wishing for CinrmaDNG support and a short discussion about that.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 30 Oct 2016 12:09 #81639

• Vlastavision
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
People can say many things about the new Final Cut Pro but they can't call it iMovie Pro anymore. This is the version I've been waiting for since 10.1, while Marcus Moore aka Disproportionate Pictures was the main analyst of future versions. He had some great ideas that guy! I'd love to hear his opinion on this new version! Finally he got Role based lanes that he had been waiting for for years now! He's no longer active on twitter or here so I'm wondering what's going on! :)

I love this new version of FCPX! The interface is beautiful, I'm a big fan of how Apple completely updated the interface twice in 5 years, while Avid still haven't done it once in almost 30 years! They should do something about it though, as I often jump from FCPX to Avid for different projects and after working in FCPX and then in Avid I feel like I've travelled 20 years back in the past. It still doesn't even support retina! With this new version of FCP it's going to be even worse! This is the most beautiful NLE interface ever for me. No question about that.

Good times to be a FCPX editor! No question about that! It's going to be even better when we get a role based mixer, but it's pretty perfect now as well.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 30 Oct 2016 12:42 #81640

• Steve McGarrigle
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Just a master buss with some mastering grade effects would be nice so you don't have to make everything into a compound clip simply to adjust the overall output volume.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 30 Oct 2016 12:52 #81641

• EditorGuy
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 36
"Just a master buss..." Great idea, we all want it, but won't appear with the wave of a magic wand. How long do you think these audio role magical things we just got took to develop? I imagine it took a whole lot longer than 8 months.

There is a Roles-Based-Mixer coming, I've been assured of that, but it is a massive amount of work to design and implement with programing code that is bug free, efficient, and FAST. Thus, here's the point everyone should really understand right now.

Just think about what we just got; you have to have a system by which you can wrangle in, control, manage all of those dynamically changing individual Roles and sub-Roles, before you can buss random audio sources through a singular mixing matrix. Roles that change minute by minute, get created left and right, get merged with each other, deleted constantly, and track all of that, BEFORE you slap down a Roles-Based-Mixer in front of your UI. What we just got is the foundation necessary for this.

BTW, each sub-role, in the Roles Editor window, has a "handle" on it's right side. That's so you can drag it on top of any other sub-role, that belongs to its own, or any other Parent Role, and it will merge with that other sub-role. All clips that were tagged with that original sub-role will lose that tag, and adopt the sub-Role tag of the new one you merged it with. Just FYI...

Last edit: by EditorGuy.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 30 Oct 2016 13:35 #81647

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
  • Thank you received: 46
Yes, very likely some form of roles based audio mixing is coming, Apple must have tried to get this idea to work on the 10.2 UI, and found it problematic, and working backwards, from having a roles based audio mixing system, they found and I am only guessing, that it would be easier to rework the UI than try and shoehorn in the roles based mixing system.

I call it a roles based mixing system, as it is going to be more than just what we think, do we need linear audio track like mixing system as we had on classic Final Cut?

Or do we need something that is basically invisible, more like Color or Resolve with the ability to add icons and lines to each icon representing the filter, in my mind, that is a more workable system, it is visual and you can see at a glance the path the audio is taking.

The color coding and all the new ideas of 10.3 is most definitely heading towards a system of editing, we have yet to even really consider.

What I would love to see is more plug in's on the App Store, where I can buy locally instead of paying inflated rates due to currency exchange and be hit by my bank for the privilege for being able to buy offshore.

Is it a good idea to have everything in one place, under the control of Apple? Um, I am conflicted, as a consumer I see this as a good idea, if I hand off a project, and the editor does not have the plug in, it would be easy to update via the App Store, but I fear Apple making it too expensive or limiting or something bad, I don't know, for developers how would they feel about having a "plug in-app store"?

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 30 Oct 2016 14:37 #81648

• manoucho
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 46
Guys don't forget to rate the FCPX app in the app store has it is still suffering from rates from 2011

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 30 Oct 2016 15:09 #81649

• Triumph
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Just to let you now.

First I am a user of MXO mini 2 with MAX and did not upgrade to a higher OS because Matrox has stoppend support after Yosemite. (I tested it before with macOS Sierra but that did not work, hardware was not recognized)
Because of FCP X 10.3 I needed to upgrade to at least El Captain.
After upgrade to 10.11.6 I tested FCP X 10.2.3 with MXO and compressor MAX and the both did work.
That I did a upgrade for FCPX Motion and Compressor and queues what it worked.
Not tested extensive but MXO 2 work on my calibrated monitor en MAX did work also from Compressor 4.3.

So for now I am happy.