Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 13 Jul 2016 12:15 #78561

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
I would love the certification of Apple to be worth more than emergency loo paper!!

The certification does not do anything by and of itself. It is a matter of how you use it as a tool. Get a college degree, and no one shows up at your door asking you to come work for them. You have to show demo reels, do interviews, have a catchy resume. Same thing. It is a tool, and works for some situations, not for others. It has proven to be useful to many, many of my students over the past decade who were fresh out of school, trying to get their first gig. But to a seasoned pro, you should have the resume already and not need a new cert showing you know how to do what you've done for years already. Nothing is a magic button that makes folks hire you. YOU have to get the job, not the paper. Personally, I'd have advised a seasoned pro to not bother with the Pro User certification. I'd have advised a newbie fresh out of school to get it.

And there are those, many, who's job's demand they get the certification, so they get some specific funding, or recognition, or something it is tied to relatively.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by BenB.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 13 Jul 2016 12:17 #78562

• canelson
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 46

MsJustine wrote: what are we waiting for?

Sorry everyone! My bad. I'm pretty sure there where ready to deliver the new version yesterday, but on monday I sent new user feedback, maybe they stopped the compilation and delivery because of that. If you see a new feature called Canelson in the next version you can thank me... :P
--
Matias Canelson
www.canelson.us

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 13 Jul 2016 12:33 #78565

• davechap
  • davechap's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • I'm like a 900 page Harry Potter novel.
  • Thank you received: 19
I posted timeframes between releases last month. If we don't see the 10.2.4 update between now and Friday, it will be the longest amount of time between updates for FCPX ever. Looking at the history, if there is an update coming this week, it will be tomorrow or Friday. Wednesday isn't a day that's been used much.

But, maybe a 10.2.4 update isn't that pressing.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 13 Jul 2016 12:43 #78567

• robertdee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
I'd rather wait till Sept/Oct for a 10.3 release with bells and whistles than get a 10.2.4 finger food revision this week :-) Still using it daily, still earning money with it :-)

Last edit: by robertdee.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 13 Jul 2016 12:44 #78568

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 662

davechap wrote: …
But, maybe a 10.2.4 update isn't that pressing.

Question is: does a minor/maintance update make any sense, when soon in October a new macOS comes up?

Stuff like 'Scenes' will most likely be integrated into FCPX… (as Faces and Places were).
So, no Kabbalah needed to calculate when earliest the next major update will come… or not come.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 13 Jul 2016 12:48 #78569

• davechap
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Lol, Karsten, that's the whole point of this thread. It's a fun way to place (no money) bets to guess the date of the next release.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 13 Jul 2016 12:58 #78570

• manoucho
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
It does feel long though

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 13 Jul 2016 13:02 #78571

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
Seems to be taking a long time, why should a new OS affect Final Cut Pro? This lack of anything from Apple is of concern, Apple is not shy about watchOS, MacOS, tvOS, iOS, yet is holding back on 2 less popular apps, Logic and FCPX.

With the classic, Apple reached 7.0.3 and then nothing, 0.3 was the last update, is 10.2.3 the last update? Both ended in a 3!! :dry:

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 13 Jul 2016 13:09 #78572

• Karsten Schlüter

MsJustine wrote: … why should a new OS affect Final Cut Pro? …

:silly: ROTFLMAO!!! :silly:

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 13 Jul 2016 13:13 #78573

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
What is so funny? I don't understand, it is a serious question.. Just how could a new OS affect Final Cut Pro so much it is preventing all updates until such time as the new OS is released?

Not everyone is going to rush into an update, so that means El Cap users are stuck and whatever the new OS is, some mountain name, they get gimmicks???

That would be harsh frankly.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 13 Jul 2016 13:56 #78574

• ButchM
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Where is it written that Apple owes us any update beyond bug fixes?

Name one other pro app developer that has issued new updates, features and enhancements for five years ... at no additional cost to the end user.

I think we are becoming spoiled and feeling entitled.

The next update gets here when it gets here ... it's no big deal how long it takes ... especially if it comes in at a price tag of zero.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 13 Jul 2016 14:02 #78575

• davechap
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Calm down, calm down. No one is making demands here. If you don't like this thread where we are continually guessing (for fun) the next release date, then you don't have to read it. No need to spoil it for the rest of us. If you want to see what spoiled brats look like, head on over to the Blackmagic Design forum :)

Last edit: by davechap.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 13 Jul 2016 14:07 #78576

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
I would love to see great new features, zoom into clip when in listview, that would speed up editing so much, color clips, so you can see what is what...

I think this is a fun thread, I love seeing what people are thinking, is it 10.2.4, or 10.3, or nothing, what about a real audio mixer, so needed!!!

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 13 Jul 2016 14:31 #78578

• ButchM
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

davechap wrote: Calm down, calm down. No one is making demands here. If you don't like this thread where we are continually guessing (for fun) the next release date, then you don't have to read it. No need to spoil it for the rest of us. If you want to see what spoiled brats look like, head on over to the Blackmagic Design forum :)

Who is spoiling your fun? ... I simply shared a different perspective. Don't add any additional connotations to what I shared that was not intended. It's simply a point of view for consideration.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 13 Jul 2016 14:33 #78579

• davechap
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

ButchM wrote: I think we are becoming spoiled and feeling entitled.

ButchM, I think this sums it up.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 13 Jul 2016 15:22 #78582

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 361

MsJustine wrote: Seems to be taking a long time, why should a new OS affect Final Cut Pro?...

In the workstation market segment, hardware, OS and applications are closely related. While you can update FCPX independent of the OS and hardware, if specific features are added to either hardware or OS such as new GPUs with new APIs or the Metal API or preliminary aspects of the new Apple filesystem, the application must be written to use those.

From a development standpoint it would be very resource-intensive to ship a major update to FCPX then have to re-release that in a few months when some new hardware or OS comes out. It all has to be re-tested. That includes internal tests, alpha/beta testing, limited production testing, incorporating fixes for reported bugs, then releasing new builds. Oftentimes for every development engineer there are two test engineers.

The more changes or feature enhancements to the hardware, OS and application layer, the more stringent and prolonged the testing must be. It is common that certain high-end applications such as FCPX expose issues in the OS or hardware which otherwise go unseen.

Some of the OS features may not be outward-facing but could be optimizations to memory management, threading, event synchronization, etc. However the app must be tested after those OS features are locked down and unchanging, which means the app may be held off from release a while.

It is often more efficient to hold off the app and do a synchronized release if major new hardware or OS is in the pipeline. There may also be marketing advantages if the app exploits new OS or hardware features which competing apps will take a while to learn.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 13 Jul 2016 15:27 #78584

• ButchM
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

davechap wrote:

ButchM wrote: I think we are becoming spoiled and feeling entitled.

ButchM, I think this sums it up.

What part of 'we' did you miss?

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 13 Jul 2016 15:42 #78585

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
@ Joema:

Well said, and you hit the nail on the head.

@MsJustine:

I think it's no secret that a new version of FCP X will be released in the next few months. There were previews of some of its new features at NAB, and the people who saw them (under NDA) were pretty excited. What more can I say?

- Ronny

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 14 Jul 2016 02:57 #78599

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
"...yet is holding back on 2 less popular apps, Logic and FCPX."

Justine, are you aware that LPX has had several almost mind blowing updates this year already? FCPX is alone in not having any significant updates so far this year.

Yeah, there's an update coming. That's all I think we're allowed to say after the NAB FCPWorks presentation. That and I can definitely assure folks that the pro apps dev teams are VERY seriously working on the pro apps, they are NOT forgotten nor has anything been put on a back burner. That is a simple fact.

When the next update will come, no clue, they did not say. Did say it was coming, but not when. Think I'm safe in spilling that little bit of information. But you don't have to have attended the presentation to figure that out, that's just common sense.

Now, I can smoke some pork ribs that my family and friends would die for. They beg for me to smoke ribs at least once a month. It takes 3-4 hours on the grill, not counting prep time. Or I can actually, and have done them in 2 hours total. But then no one thinks they're anything special. So, do I take a long time for killer ribs, or do it quick because the kids are impatient? HHHmmmm... if I were grilling ribs at Apple Inc, what would they tell me to do? HHHHmmmm.....?

Now I'm hungry, later y'all...

Last edit: by BenB.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 14 Jul 2016 07:40 #78606

• Karsten Schlüter
... ok, tea leaf readers, how would you interpret this:

(source: latest mail from rippletraining.com)

:woohoo:
Attachments: