Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 14 Jul 2016 07:43 #78607

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
  • Thank you received: 46
ooooh, interesting.. rooibos makes for poor tea-leaf readings...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 14 Jul 2016 12:23 #78611

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
They do a lot more than FCPX training, and come out with new and updated courses all the time. Could be for DaVinci, could be for Adobe, Screenflow, catching up with LPX's latest few updates. I don't read much into that. They're in the video training business, if they are not creating new training videos, they die. The training business, even online video training, is in the mud. It is all but dead. Ripple, Larry Jordan, Linda.com, etc, are all racing to keep up and stay above water. Don't see anything in that which relates it directly to FCPX.

PLUS, and Ripple makes this claim publicly and often, and have even told me personally, they do not get advanced copies of FCPX before public releases. But, do we believe that?

If I read the tea leaves, next FCPX release will be sometime later this year, major overhaul, cost $299, and work off of a telepathic interface, as well as use Siri to explain that she doesn't understand your edit and you should try again.

Last edit: by BenB.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 14 Jul 2016 14:24 #78614

• davechap
  • davechap's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • I'm like a 900 page Harry Potter novel.
  • Thank you received: 19
Well, not Larry Jordan. (sad face)

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 14 Jul 2016 14:32 #78615

• davechap
  • davechap's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • I'm like a 900 page Harry Potter novel.
  • Thank you received: 19
I've seen people mention the FCPX Summit in October as a release date. Here's what I'm thinking...

FCPX 10.3 will probably be paired with a hardware announcement. Either the new Macbook Pro, Mac Pro or both. If the leaked images of the next Macbook Pro with a LED touch bar are true, FCPX could make use of that. I don't think Apple would ever release (or hold a release) to meet a timeline of a third party event like FCPX Summit. While I'm sure the FCPX folks will be there—and show off the newest version—it would already be released in the App Store.

If there's a maintenance release, it will be 10.2.4. At this point, I'm not thinking we will see 10.3 until Apple announces a press event to show off new hardware.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 15 Jul 2016 07:51 #78636

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
This makes so much sense for me as an editor, omg, I would sell my car to buy this, 21 inches of screen real estate, 2 dedicated screens, and a large main editing screen, as well as HDMI...

www.techdigest.tv/2008/12/concept_mac_tri.html

Why why why is this not for sale!!!!??? :oops: :blush: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 15 Jul 2016 16:17 #78649

• thefluentone
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I love the ribs analogy. There's a difference between grilling and a proper BBQ. When I smoke a turkey or a Brisket, I've got it out between 45 min. to an hour per pound. Hell I build software and I can tell you a feature I've been working on since January was supposed to be put out in April. But testing revealed changes that had to be made else where in order to fully support the feature and I'm just now today wrapping up for delivery next week. I would not be surprised that a seemingly small feature could require a ton of verification and testing. I haven't had any problems editing with FCPX bug wise so the attention to details is appreciated. I know it was mentioned bout 162 passing the longest update, but combined with the previous update its also the largest lock of 315 days for two updates. :cheer: As per reading tea leaves I'm going to fix this Jasmine tea and get back to testing scripts.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 20 Jul 2016 10:30 #78746

• robertdee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Is this where we add features we think would be good to add? Can't remember now. Here's one that occurred to me this morning:

An option to render any/all clips with third party filters on them in a timeline as movies so that when you share a job with another editor/client they have the assets they need without having the necessary plugins. Might be tricky with transitions but a handy solution to the problem with sharing projects with third party plugins would be good.

Last edit: by robertdee.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 20 Jul 2016 11:57 #78750

• waternyc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
@robertdee I guess the only option to go with would be to say "nothing is impossible". That would be a great start.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 20 Jul 2016 11:59 #78751

• waternyc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
@ MsJustine I think this would be better solved with flexible screen technology that is to come.... :P

Last edit: by waternyc.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 20 Jul 2016 12:12 #78753

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
Nah, folding screens the way to go, dedicated screens for apps, FCPX needs 3 screens, on a13 inch, I need a magnifying glass, if not 3 screens, then at least 17inch macbook pro, and please Apple at least 2x 2USB 3.x slots per side, 4 or more USB3.x slots, 2 is simply way too few for FCPX..

If I had more than 2, I could use Duet, buy a 2nd ipad, there, a sale of a 2nd and maybe a 3rd to replace my aging ipad mini v2 bought in 2013.... But no Jony knows better, and 2 is better than more than 2... :blush:

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 20 Jul 2016 12:17 #78754

• waternyc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
completely respect what you want and need, but I was talking about something like this "rolls up to inch and rolls out to 60 inches..."

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 20 Jul 2016 12:20 #78755

• waternyc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
completely respect what you want and need, but I was talking about something like this "rolls up to inch and rolls out to 60 inches..."

and

and

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 20 Jul 2016 12:21 #78756

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
Yeah yeah, meany Jony will still demand mac book "pro" be hobbled with 2 semi useful ports, and 13 inches!!!! :oops:

Still 4 ports I would have thought better than 2, but it seems Jony jas been watching too much Top Gear, in Top Gear, less is more, so thus 2 is better than more than 2!!!

I wonder if that roll up comes in curtain size... Would love to replace my curtains with editing storylines in 8k

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 21 Jul 2016 22:18 #78789

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 195
My my isn't this a busy little thread.
One thing I've been pondering is that the current version of FCPX10.2.3(x) only requires Mavericks 10.10 or greater. I really thought given all the new code they added in El Capitan10.11.X we would see 10.3 by now.
There were lots of improvements in underlying OS code and frameworks and I can really imagine some really great additions being built on that code. Some of that code seems tailor made for FCPX and Motion. Nope nothing so far.
Now there is this year's OS improvements in Sierra10.12 already in second Beta and due to be released this fall. Again there are some additions to the frameworks that could be utilized in FCPX and Motion.
Will Apple release 10.3 based on El Capitan, or wait till Sierra this fall?

Is this why the delay for 10.3?

If 10.3 is based on EC and released soon, then the new version is almost 1 year out of OS cycle. If they hold off, and base it on Sierra and maybe new hardware, this would move it to cutting edge possibilities.

There are many new hardware chips coming out and new I/O standards being implemented. Intel chips, TB3, USB-C, HDMI, DP even new wifi standards. Most of the main Macs are due for updates.
Bye-bye all ports but USB-C??

Finally there is the upcoming new File System APFS in the works, release late 2017(?) I'm kind of excited about it. Again I can see some aspects of it that will improve FCPX/Motion and many other apps. A person can dream, Right? Never too early to start "Waiting on FCPX 10.4" :woohoo:

Just to give everyone additional things to ponder about.

Happy Editing, Greg

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 22 Jul 2016 06:19 #78791

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 662

VidGreg wrote: … Is this why the delay for 10.3?

If 10.3 is based on EC and released soon, then the new version is almost 1 year out of OS cycle. If they hold off, and base it on Sierra and maybe new hardware, this would move it to cutting edge possibilities.…

…that's why I'm kiddin' here with posting "25.Oct" as release-date for vers 10.3:
Sierra is announced for late summer, so that could be a the Tuesday.....

Wrote in some other thread about my speculations of SCENES (aside Faces and Places) integrated into FCPX; I guess, that new feature is heavyly based upon macOS 'parts'. Not to mention future hardwares, you listed in your post, Greg.

A new, first-digit-number version of FCPX ignoring new OS' features makes no sense.
At last for me.

… and could be even later - allthough public-beta, any new OS needs some time to ripe ... esp. in pro enviroments.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 22 Jul 2016 09:32 #78794

• waternyc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
...cutting edge possibilities? :huh: :woohoo:

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 22 Jul 2016 16:25 #78804

• Julian
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32

MsJustine wrote: This makes so much sense for me as an editor, omg, I would sell my car to buy this, 21 inches of screen real estate, 2 dedicated screens, and a large main editing screen, as well as HDMI...

www.techdigest.tv/2008/12/concept_mac_tri.html

Why why why is this not for sale!!!!??? :oops: :blush: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well you could do something similar with Duet Display and the iPad Pro if you wanted a solid portable multi-display solution. I don't think it works with two external displays, but I loved editing with Duet Display and having my iPad as my viewer.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 22 Jul 2016 17:42 #78806

• Scrubelicious
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
FCP X is either about to be killed off or massively updated

Nice read.

www.redsharknews.com/post/item/3635-is-s...to-happen-with-fcp-x

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 22 Jul 2016 18:09 #78807

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60
Given the NDA secret meeting with anyone who happened to drop in, I'd say the latter.

What's perplexing is the secrecy without apparent financial or strategic motive.

After all wouldn't it be more fun chattering about the details of tidbits revealed then the date of birth?

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 22 Jul 2016 19:49 #78808

• robertdee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10

Scrubelicious wrote: FCP X is either about to be killed off or massively updated

Nice read.

www.redsharknews.com/post/item/3635-is-s...to-happen-with-fcp-x

This article has been on FB as well. In my opinion it barely counts as speculation. My cat could have written a more informed article. I remember some article on this site a while back that was talking about the end of FCPX that was also highly dubious. Makes me suspect that it's some corporate competitor trying to put poisonous rumours out there - the writer doesn't even use their name.