fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: FULL cut and paste of project timeline?

FULL cut and paste of project timeline? 19 Jan 2018 10:02 #93497

• RSK
  • RSK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey all!
I can't believe I'm only now realizing this, which can only mean I've actually ever needed it in the last 6+ years, but… is there in fact no way to cut and paste an entire section of a timeline?? No way to set a range and have that section and all the connected clips go along for the ride??

Surely I must be missing something, right? A hidden shortcut or me just being unwillingly obtuse? Just something quick and simple that includes everything and not just the primary storyline?? Why would it even work that way? Seriously!

And no, I do not want to have to make an edit or compound clip or the likes first, since that would triple (if not more) the effort and time needed for such a simple, rudimentary task.

Cheers,
Robin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by RSK.

FULL cut and paste of project timeline? 19 Jan 2018 12:46 #93500

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 329

RSK wrote: ...is there in fact no way to cut and paste an entire section of a timeline?? No way to set a range and have that section and all the connected clips go along for the ride??...

You just draw a box round the timeline region you want to copy and paste. If that selects a clip you don't want, de-select it with CMD-click, then cut/copy/paste. You can make multiple selections by holding down shift while drawing boxes, and toggle individual clip selection off/on by holding down CMD and clicking. It works similar to Finder.

FULL cut and paste of project timeline? 19 Jan 2018 14:49 #93508

• RSK
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

joema wrote: You just draw a box round the timeline region you want to copy and paste.

Thanks. And yes, I of course realize that's an option. Only that's clearly not what I want to have to do, since more often than not I just need a segment of a much longer underlying clip or clips with it's connected material.

Say for example I need the last 10 seconds of one 5min. clip, 30 seconds of other material in-between, then 15 seconds of the beginning of another 7 min. clip at the end of the line. Doing as you suggest would get me twelve and a half minutes of clips when I in fact only need and want forty seconds. Meaning I have to edit the segments AGAIN at their new location. Completely counter-productive and inexcusable imho.

I simply do not get WHY in the world the connected clips within a timeline selection can't simply come along by default?!

FULL cut and paste of project timeline? 19 Jan 2018 14:58 #93509

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 733
Sounds like you need to cut the primary to the size you need to move and either marquee drag the selected area or use the timeline index to select the clips in the region.

FULL cut and paste of project timeline? 19 Jan 2018 15:05 #93510

• RSK
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
As I already said in my initial post:

"And no, I do not want to have to make an edit or compound clip or the likes first, since that would triple (if not more) the effort and time needed for such a simple, rudimentary task.[/color]"

Again, it completely escapes me why this would not work as expected and am amazed that I had never noticed this until now.

- RK

FULL cut and paste of project timeline? 19 Jan 2018 15:18 #93511

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 489
You want to select multiple sections of a timeline at once and copy/paste all at once? Not sure how that would work.

FULL cut and paste of project timeline? 19 Jan 2018 16:02 #93514

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 733
If you want to cut and paste, what’s the objection to making and edit?

FULL cut and paste of project timeline? 19 Jan 2018 17:11 #93516

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

RSK wrote: ...I have to edit the segments AGAIN at their new location. Completely counter-productive and inexcusable imho...I simply do not get WHY in the world the connected clips within a timeline selection can't simply come along by default?!

You said the past 6+ years you've never needed this, but suddenly it's now "inexcusable" it doesn't work this way?

I agree that might be an interesting enhancement. You aren't the only one to mention this -- it's currently listed 50th out of 128 feature requests on fcpx.tv/top.html

Each person has their own feature priorities that reflects their workflow needs. A lot more people have requested a scrolling timeline than have requested an "all layers" range selection, but I think the enhanced range selection has merit. However the current behavior is "per spec", not broken.

I personally would rather see them fix some things that are broken or clearly deficient such as management for proxy only workflow, unreliable relink when using external proxies, broken XML processing when handling duplicate filenames, and some kind of multi-user collaborative locking system for both LAN and disconnected cases.

I've heard some commentators say "they should just implement all of them, there's no conflict". Those people have usually never worked in software development of a complex product.

FCPX is extremely performance-sensitive. If Adobe throws in a feature and Premiere slows down, people complain a bit and keep using it. Premiere's "hover scrub" is already slow, it just becomes slower.

If adding some FCPX feature significantly slows down the skimmer, or the rapid SQLite database calls which manage the Event Browser, it's not a slow FCPX, it's unusable. There are already some "drag lag" cases where the timeline is sluggish. I'd personally rather they prioritize keeping it as fast and reliable as possible and only add features when it does not adversely impact that.

FULL cut and paste of project timeline? 19 Jan 2018 17:49 #93517

• RSK
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Tom Wolsky wrote: If you want to cut and paste, what’s the objection to making and edit?

Typo/brain fart. Copy and paste.

joema wrote: Each person has their own feature priorities …

Didn't think this would turn into a "my niggle is bigger than yours" discussion or App Dev 101 lecture. A simple "Nope, doesn't do it." would actually have sufficed, thanks.

joema wrote: I'd personally rather they prioritize keeping it as fast and reliable as possible and only add features when it does not adversely impact that.

Er… no idea what that has to do with anything, but yeah. Simply parsing more of the underlying XML is sure to be a tricky performance issue and would require >100 man hours to implement. :lol:

Oh well, off to the ol' Bug Reporter! Cheerio.

FULL cut and paste of project timeline? 19 Jan 2018 19:52 #93519

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
I'm totally lost as to what the OP was requesting as a feature.

FULL cut and paste of project timeline? 19 Jan 2018 20:11 #93522

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

FCPX.guru wrote: I'm totally lost as to what the OP was requesting as a feature.

He wants item 50 on this page, titled "Drag a range in the timeline ruler area": fcpx.tv/top.html

He also specifically asked *why* -- twice -- it was implemented the current way, and since he asked why, I tried to answer that. It's a reasonable feature request, and has been on the above request list since 2015.

While a reasonable enhancement request, it has to contend with the other 127 reasonable feature requests listed on that site, plus many more. Each one entails development cost and technical risk, especially if in a "hot" code path on a performance-critical product.

Apple also has to evaluate how many people are requesting it and how frequently. The OP stated he hasn't needed this in the past six years. I think a lot more people have requested a scrolling timeline, and we're still waiting on that.

FULL cut and paste of project timeline? 19 Jan 2018 21:20 #93526

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
Ah, yeah, never needed that. Never mind...

FULL cut and paste of project timeline? 19 Jan 2018 23:01 #93528

• haysoos123
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
There's a way to do this, but it DOES require you to make a compound clip of the entire timeline. CMD-A, and then opt-G to make an big compound clip. From there you can select a range or select an in and out, copy, and paste it into a new timeline. In the new timeline, select that segment and shift-CMD-G to break apart clip items.

It takes an extra step to create a compound clip, and then break those apart, but it's hardly "tripling" the work. Feature #50 would work exactly like this except you wouldn't have to make the initial compound clip or break it apart afterward.

FULL cut and paste of project timeline? 20 Jan 2018 06:05 #93530

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 660

FCPX.guru wrote: I'm totally lost as to what the OP was requesting as a feature.

… just guess:

when you actually 'lasso' clips + connected parts, it selects 'all' (fig A)
but you can not select a 'range' (which would ask for new 'connectors' (fig B )

… like that, Robin?
Attachments:

Last edit: by Karsten Schlüter.

FULL cut and paste of project timeline? 20 Jan 2018 09:40 #93533

• RSK
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Set an IN, set an OUT, copy, and get everything, i.e. everything connected as well within the selected range.

Pretty simple. And no, not the overblown "number 50" version… but I'd rather take that than this if given the choice, sure, whatever. Whether the rest has a yellow box around it or not, I don't care. Not sure how the notion that something so basic that should/could easily be worked in, turned into such a "You'll break the entire app if that were to be implemented!" rabbit-hole, but oh well. :lol:

And again, I guess I worded it poorly, since it's not that I've NEVER needed it before, just that I guess I blew over it a lá "I'll figure that out later" until now. Probably because it was always just a one-off. Only this time I need it over 50 times! And yes, having to use any one of the awkward and , for me, nonsensical edit/compound workarounds has doubled to tripled the amount of time/clicks/paying attention than one should need for something so basic and imho obvious. Very disappointing. Oh well.

- RK

FULL cut and paste of project timeline? 21 Jan 2018 06:48 #93551

• Karsten Schlüter

RSK wrote: … , for me, nonsensical edit/compound workarounds has doubled to tripled the amount of time/clicks/…

ahh, a pic tells more than a 1000 … ;)

just 'lassoing' storyline plus attached stuff doesn't work for you, because your range is within the 'master' clip(s) in the storyline, right?

see no urgency in compounding everything, would just blade at the In/Out points (which you have to set anyway … okay, not by mouse), and lasso then everything … how's that?

FULL cut and paste of project timeline? 21 Jan 2018 10:28 #93563

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Karsten Schlüter wrote: ....would just blade at the In/Out points (which you have to set anyway … okay, not by mouse), and lasso then everything … how's that?

If it would help any, you can also blade all layers in a single step with SHFT+CMD+B.

FULL cut and paste of project timeline? 21 Jan 2018 12:00 #93564

• RSK
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes, Karsten, you're exactly right. That's the super-duper simple something I'm looking for and exactly as I would (at minimum optionally if not by default) expect it to work.

And again, for the 3rd or so time, no I most definitely do NOT want to make any edits each time, since, as I've said also, I need to do this up to 50 times within individual projects, which would mean adding up to 100 completely superfluous edits! If that actually seems reasonable to one of you, all the power to ya. Go for it.

And please don't anyone write something along the lines of "Then just undo afterwards", since that would only raise the level of ludicrous for such an otherwise benign (and herewith thankless) task.

Cheers.

FULL cut and paste of project timeline? 21 Jan 2018 13:56 #93566

• Karsten Schlüter

RSK wrote: Yes, Karsten, you're exactly right. That's the super-duper simple something I'm looking for and exactly as I would (at minimum optionally if not by default) expect it to work.
….

… I'm by far no engineer, nor an salesman or attorney in defense for Cupertino, but I dare to say, the 'compound the whole thingy, then chop it into pieces' is the only manageable option DUE to the 'trackless' nature of FCPX.

Here a, I confess: 'constructed' example-from-hell:

you select a range in the storyline…
hit cmd-X
… for a start:
shall it ripple, or replaced with a gap?
the Title is connected to the x-ed part … so, what is with its rest? Any way, its 'synch' to the clip under neath gets lost.

What about the dissolve in the secondary? The range goes unfortunately (harhar) thru the middle. So, no dissolve but only parts of the right clip? Or a bit of the left clip too and the dissolve? Does the left clip end without dissolve? …

'Unfortunately' (harhar) the connector btw storyline and secondary is within the x-ed range … how or to what should the 2nd connect? And synch?

Speaking of synch, my construct lacks dozen of tiny soundbites … how do they stay in synch?

I don't have to tell you, Robin, FCPX is a clip- not track-based editor. So, range-selections is more a track-thingie, based upon time-code/in/outs, not whole clips. Impossible for me to imagine, how to implement such a 'super duper simple' feature, with all understanding you like or need it, into such concept … (??)

Therefor that Compound suggestion: then its one solid clip and you can chop into as many pieces you like …
But maybe some future, enhanced version proofs me wrong!
Attachments:

FULL cut and paste of project timeline? 21 Jan 2018 14:49 #93570

• Andreas Kiel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 174
I'm totally with Robin.
I any other NLE you just select a portion of a timeline and think about what you need, press cmd-C go to another timeline and press cmd-V - and you're done. No need for stupid things like blade all or so :evil:

• Page: