fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Identifying plugins in old projects - The dreaded revisiting old projects request

Identifying plugins in old projects - The dreaded revisiting old projects request 16 Oct 2017 10:05 #91137

• bigfrankblue
  • bigfrankblue's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, All.

So today I got a request from an old client to revisit an old project. Despite providing them with the master at the time of completion they've asked for me to supply a rendered video.

The problem I'm having is that it was 4 years + 3 Macs ago and despite having the project files and all the footage - when I fire up the project I get of dread red missing element screens - everywhere.

What I don't have is a record of the plugins used in the project. I've spent time today going through and reinstalling them in an effort to banish as many red missing elements. I wondered if there's an easy way to find what plugins were used at the point of mastering a project? I've restored 80% of the project so far but am left scratching my head as to what I've missed.

Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Identifying plugins in old projects - The dreaded revisiting old projects request 16 Oct 2017 10:28 #91139

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72
I am not at home right now, so I can't check. What I know for sure is that Library Manager puts a exclamation mark in the overview that indicates missing FILES. You can then hit "show list" or sth. like hat, and you'll get a list of all missing clips with their former paths. Perhaps this also works with effects/plugins. But as I said, I don't know. I also don't know if this feature is part of he free LM version.

Identifying plugins in old projects - The dreaded revisiting old projects request 16 Oct 2017 10:38 #91140

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 322

bigfrankblue wrote: ...if there's an easy way to find what plugins were used at the point of mastering a project?...

You can find what plugins are missing via the X-FX Handler utility:
www.spherico.com/filmtools/X-Files/X-FXHandler/

MacBreak Studio #374 covered this:

Identifying plugins in old projects - The dreaded revisiting old projects request 16 Oct 2017 12:08 #91141

• bigfrankblue
  • bigfrankblue's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for the information. It's enabled me to get it all sorted! Big thank you!

Identifying plugins in old projects - The dreaded revisiting old projects request 16 Oct 2017 17:21 #91142

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Wow! If there was something like that to identify what fonts were used in titles, that would be cool. I still save a copy of all fonts used in a project. A hold back from the FCP 7 days.

Identifying plugins in old projects - The dreaded revisiting old projects request 18 Oct 2017 23:50 #91187

• Andreas Kiel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 174
Will be there soon.

- Andreas

Identifying plugins in old projects - The dreaded revisiting old projects request 23 Oct 2017 20:08 #91252

• Andreas Kiel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 174
The promised update is online.

- Andreas

• Page: