A new Workflow Extension for Final Cut Pro allows editors to preview, manage and set fonts without having to go through the dropdown list.
We love fonts, we have loads of them, maybe too many and that results in trouble finding regularly used ones from that long font menu.
So we are very pleased to see the release of FontAudition, a workflow extension for Final Cut Pro that manages fonts and has some very clever tricks up its sleeve. The extension allows the previewing of fonts with custom text as you would expect, but it also allows the saving of custom collections and... You can drag and drop your text with the chosen font directly onto the FCP timeline.
The £9.99 FCP workflow extension has been released by Edit Tools, the company that released ARC-X, a backup tool for Final Cut Pro.
Tony from Edit-Tools explains-
FontAudtion's goal is to make managing and selecting fonts easier for FCP editors. Many of us have hundreds or even thousands of fonts loaded on our computers and wading through them is time-consuming and really not much fun. FontAudition is a new way to look at fonts. It gives you a unique, 'Big Picture' view of your text displayed in every font available and interfaces directly with Final Cut Pro.
Here’s how it works. Launch FontAudition from FCP’s extension menu and a font display window will open that you can endlessly customize. Enter your title text into FontAudition and instantly see it displayed in every font available. Resize the display, change the number of columns or change it in any way you wish. It’ll all be saved and recalled when you reopen FontAudition. Scroll through the font display and, when you see a font you like, simply click its gold star.
Once you have the fonts you need, send them to FCP or save your selections as a permanent font collection using the Font Collection menu. It’s all intuitive and easy to keep your essential font collections organized and up-to-date.
Once you’ve found the right font for your title, you can send it to Final Cut Pro two easy ways, copy it to the clipboard and paste the text into the FCP viewer or simply drag & drop the text directly onto the FCP timeline. It’s that easy!
- A fast, responsive user interface that’s able to handle thousands of fonts
- Finding accented characters can be a pain. Simply double-click any font to display its complete extended character set. Copy & paste extended characters directly into your FCP title
- FontAudition has a powerful search function. Want to see all you BOLD, CONDENSED, ITALIC fonts? Just enter your search criteria and they are instantly displayed
- Select traditional font styles such as Serif, Sans Serif, Modern, Handwriting, etc. with a simple menu selection
- All language fonts are displayed correctly with accented and extended characters easily accessible
- One click is all it takes to hide fonts that can’t display your text, such as Non-Roman fonts
- Conveniently integrated into Final Cut Pro as a Workflow Extension
- Optimized for both Intel and Apple Silicon processors
If you use a lot of text in FCP, this could really help. We can see it being very useful when having a client present or screen sharing during a session.