Written by Peter Wiggins Published: 03 August 2021
Category: Hardware & Software
Top BlogReading time: 02:01
Apple has announced the availability of three new graphic card modules for the Intel Mac Pro.
Well this is interesting, just as everyone was looking ahead to maybe an Apple Silicon Mac Pro, three new graphics card modules have been announced. You can buy them with the machine or as an upgrade.
These will be of interest to anybody running GPU intensive applications such as Final Cut Pro of course!
The new modules are based on AMD’s next-generation graphics processor — the Radeon Pro W6000-Series GPU — and comes in three variants, the Radeon Pro W6800X MPX Module, Radeon Pro W6800X Duo MPX Module and the Radeon Pro W6900X MPX Module.
- Mac Pro supports two MPX Modules and when populated with two W6800X Duo cards delivers an immense 60 teraflops of graphics performance and 128GB of memory.
- These GPUs also features Infinity Fabric Link, now allowing up to 4 GPUs (two Duo modules) to connect at 84GB/s per link in each direction (168GB/s bi-directional bandwidth) – 5x faster than the PCIe bus.
- The Radeon Pro W6000-series MPX Modules each feature 4 additional Thunderbolt 3 ports and an HDMI 2 port, so as users add more graphics, they also get more connectivity with up to 12 Thunderbolt 3 ports.
- These new GPUs replace the AMD Vega II MPX Modules available with Mac Pro today and will be offered both as configure-to-order options for new Mac Pro orders as well as kits for existing customers looking to add more GPU performance to their Mac Pro.
- The new GPU cards for Mac Pro will supercharge pro workflows like never before, delivering huge gains in performance across a variety of pro apps, including:
- Up to 84% faster performance when running Octane X.
- Up to 26% increase in frame rate when doing realtime 3D interaction in Maxon Cinema 4D.
- Up to 23% faster performance when using DaVinci Resolve.
- The new graphics modules will be sold both as a configure to order option when purchasing a new Mac Pro or as standalone kits for existing Mac Pro customers who would like to upgrade.
- The AMD Radeon Pro Vega II MPX Module and AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo MPX Module will no longer be available as a configurable option but will remain available as a standalone kit to existing customers.
You might also want to check out the new Mac Pro White Paper that was published today.