fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How do you get the HDMI port to work on the new Mac Pro? 21 Mar 2014 03:14 #43100

• Redifer
  • Redifer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 85
Just got mine in. Finally running FCPX 10.1.1. HDMI does not work. There is no way to turn it on. HDMI cable is securely connected to a more-than-capable display. How to turn it on? A/V Out is greyed out.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

How do you get the HDMI port to work on the new Mac Pro? 21 Mar 2014 06:56 #43104

• Redifer
  • Redifer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 85
I found the answer. It was the particular input on my monitor, which is odd but whatever.

I notice that it treats the HDMI out as a second monitor which I do not want. My mouse keeps going off the edge of the screen. I only want the monitor on when I'm editing, not when I'm doing other things. Is there a way to strictly dictate that for an AV monitor instead of a computer display? You know, like friggin' Final Cut Pro 7?

Last edit: by Redifer.

How do you get the HDMI port to work on the new Mac Pro? 23 Mar 2014 17:44 #43253

Do what you were doing, and then just turn on output in the A/V menu.

The system treats it like another desktop, which in the past made it a no-no for accurate monitoring.

But the difference now is that the system is also putting a HD709 Colorsync profile on that desktop (which actually does nothing in FCPX use), and then FCPX is NOT putting a color profile on the data it sends to that desktop, UNLIKE what it used to do in years past.

Net result is that the data that gets sent through the HDMI is broadcast accurate, and correctly mapped.

My broadcast monitor has waveform, and I have checked the new FCPX/new Mac Pro HDMI vs the output of my Blackmagic minimonitor. The blacks, whites, and gamma all map out identically. One added benefit of this method is that there is zero lag between the FCPX canvas window on your computer monitor and the HDMI output. Very snappy. My Blackmagic Minimonitor via Thunderbolt lags a few frames.

In other words, HDMI/desktop output always had the ability to do this correctly. They just had to take the time to get it right (and having full system control over a built in HDMI port helped too)

[edit: maybe I read you wrong and you were just bummed about the mouse being able to wander into the HDMI monitor. Can't do anything about that except to go buy a Minimonitor for $140. Blackmagic's drivers don't present that output as a desktop]

Last edit: by Direktor.

How do you get the HDMI port to work on the new Mac Pro? 04 Apr 2014 18:13 #44022

One question, though. I'm not aware that FCPX can display the video full-screen on the second monitor without the transport controls. Is there a way for it to do this?? It seems like a no-brainer to add this, since you can hook up a 1080p monitor to the HDMI, but since it adds the transport controls and OS menu at the top, you can't see the video at 100%! Am I missing something?

Currently I've got a grading monitor and HDTV connected to a 4K Decklink, but it would be really great to go HDMI out to our large TV WITHOUT audio lag. Also, the HDTV is a consumer Sony, and it doesn't support 23.976fps signals, so you have to switch it 1080i or 720p 59.94 in the Blackmagic settings for it to work.

How do you get the HDMI port to work on the new Mac Pro? 04 Apr 2014 18:19 #44024

The combination of FCPX 10.1 and the HDMI port on the new Mac Pro outputs out that HDMI port without the GUI window and transport controls.

It treats the HDMI port just like a Blackmagic or Aja device. Try it, it's great.

How do you get the HDMI port to work on the new Mac Pro? 04 Apr 2014 18:53 #44028

Great! I did not know that. Our Mac Pro has not arrived yet, so I'm sure it'll be the first thing I try when we get it. It's a real shame that they didn't add an HDMI port to the iMacs.

How do you get the HDMI port to work on the new Mac Pro? 05 Apr 2014 05:32 #44058

The Mini display port to hdmi adapter should work when plugged into in the thunderbolt port of your iMac.

How do you get the HDMI port to work on the new Mac Pro? 05 Apr 2014 14:37 #44090

The Mini display port to hdmi adapter should work when plugged into in the thunderbolt port of your iMac.

Right, but the only question is does 10.1 see that HDMI port the same as the built-in ports in the new Mac Pros?

Or does it pipe out the same "desktop" canvas window with GUI over top that it always has when getting HDMI in that method?

How do you get the HDMI port to work on the new Mac Pro? 06 May 2014 01:46 #45652

Hi guys, a follow-up to this even though I'm thread-jacking, because I think it's relevant:

We just got a Mac Pro in, and it's great so far, but is it possible to get two monitors in addition to the HDMI connected as an A/V display? I can only seem to get either a second monitor OR the HDMI display, but not all three. I searched around about the problem and it seems it has to do with needing a dual-link connection to the monitors or something like that? I'm simply using displayport->DVI for the two Dell Ultrasharps, and then a standard HDMI to the A/V display.

How do you get the HDMI port to work on the new Mac Pro? 15 May 2014 11:51 #46111

go to system preference and setting custom size and framerate for the monitor you want on hdmi out (4k 1080 or 720 , remember that if you have connected as i do a monitor with a native resolution of 1800x1200 for example fcpx preference will not recognize it (none a/v) message) . open fcpx check if your monitor appear in the preference and if done , close preference go to : window and check the A/V output....now you can finally see a clean out , for the third monitor you have only to go again to: window and chose between show viewerr or events on second display... ;)

i hope it's clear , i'm italian sorry for my english :S

How do you get the HDMI port to work on the new Mac Pro? 15 May 2014 22:26 #46136

Once you go past 2 displays you'll need to start using ACTIVE mini Display port adaptors. The HDMI port on the MacPro when used is considered 1 of the 2 PASSIVE adaptors you can use (aka almost all miniDP->DVI/HDMI adaptors).

If your displays support it I'd recommend switching to Displayport as they're all active and allow higher resolutions above 1920x1200 without an expensive DualLink DVI adaptor.

We use ours for both editing and running multi output shows so I did some tests specifically at trying output connections here - blog.lotech.co.nz/2014/03/macpro-2013-pt1/

How do you get the HDMI port to work on the new Mac Pro? 28 Jul 2014 21:50 #50611

• qbe
  • Thank you received: 1
Does anyone have experience with interlaced material going from FCPx through HDMI port to TV?

When i play it with default settings, it looks progressive. Somehow it gets deinterlaced (bad quality too). When i turn on "show both fields" in FCPx, i see that its showing interlaced, but the image stutters a lot.

Tried this on LCD screen and on plasma, both have deinterlacing options off, set as 1080i and correct Hz in osx preferences.

Wonder if I'm making some mistake, or my hw is wrong, or its not really working yet.

progressive works beautifully, i live in PAL land, i have hack

same results on my rmbp

Last edit: by qbe.
  • Page: