fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Is 64gb ram REALLY a benefit? 16 Mar 2014 17:53 #42762

• Living Smart TV
  • Living Smart TV's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • TV-vært, blogger, fotograf, forfatter - tjek www.livingsmarttv.dk Sprællemand :)
  • Thank you received: 0
I know, today everybody seems to say "the more RAM, the better", but......

In terms of a nMP running nothing but FCPX....... in what cases will we actually benefit from having more than 32gb RAM?

In our studio right now, we have Mac Pro with 32gb ram and a MacBook Pro 15" Retina with 16Gb and neither of them seems to max out the RAM anytime we're in FCPX ?

Can someone please shed a little light on this? :)

Update: I just checked them both after a week of work and no reboots. Both machines have been used for FCPX and several other tasks in that period. The MacPro (with 32gb) has 0 page outs and the MacBook Pro (with 16gb) has 110.000 pageouts. Not much, but stille that shows us that 16 is too little because it then needs to page out the RAM, right?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Living Smart TV.

Is 64gb ram REALLY a benefit? 17 Mar 2014 03:39 #42797

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
Depends on what tasks are causing the page outs.

I have noticed differences in performance between 4, 8, and 16 GB RAM on several systems over the years. But over 16, I don't see much improve.

The way Mavericks compresses RAM makes things even more of a mystery.

Is 64gb ram REALLY a benefit? 15 Jun 2014 04:39 #47839

• SDP
  • Thank you received: 0
You would only require that much RAM if you're jumping across edit suites and have and using other resource heavy programs like any of the Adobe products. Even more so if you're working with lots of resources, layers etc. But, having said that. I think 32Gb would be more than sufficient.

Is 64gb ram REALLY a benefit? 19 Jun 2014 22:16 #48178

The magic number seems to be at the moment 4GB per core, so yes with some tasks 64GB is a good thing.

I was testing out rendering Red footage to prores on a 12c nMP and Resolve was using the majority of the memory.

For an 8c, 32GB should be fine.

• Page: