fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Mac Pro tube memory configuration question 12 Mar 2014 19:58 #42532

• haysoos123
  • haysoos123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 71
Hi guys,
I've been searching around but have not found a good answer for this question about memory configuration. I'm about to spec out an 8-core, D700 Mac Pro, but I'd like to see if I can get 2x16 memory modules for a total of 32 GB at OWC with trade-in. That way, going to 64 GB in the future is more straightforward. Now my questions is: does it actually run in a more optimized way with 4x8 32 GB memory, with all for slots populated? I would like to go 2x16, but if that means lesser performance, I will stick with 4x8 modules. Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mac Pro tube memory configuration question 12 Mar 2014 22:37 #42566

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
Shouldn't really matter. This RAM is plenty fast in this machine. The cards will all read/write data about the same speed. You may want to verify with OWC tech support. I'd actually be very interested in what they had to say about it.

Last edit: by BenB.

Mac Pro tube memory configuration question 30 Mar 2014 19:56 #43806

My educated guess is that it would be technically faster with 4x8Gb, but I highly doubt you would be able to tell a difference, even when using tons of RAM on a complicated task. Like BenB said, the RAM on this machine is pretty darn fast. I doubt you'd be able to tell a difference unless you were using benchmark software measuring speeds down to the millisecond.

Mac Pro tube memory configuration question 03 Apr 2014 23:27 #43991

• haysoos123
  • haysoos123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 71
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I actually chatted with OWC and they said pretty much the same thing. Technically 4x8 would be faster, but the real-world difference may not be enough to worry about. However, after thinking about it some more, I went just went with the default 4x8 Apple configuration because I didn't really want to deal with the trade-in at this time. I figure I'll do the trade-in if I need to go to 64 in the future.

• Page: