• Page:

TOPIC: Mac Pro Purchase Qs

Mac Pro Purchase Qs 06 Jan 2014 16:57 #38259

• Jim
  • Jim's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I need some advice about buying a Mac Pro. I feel the base model ($2,999) will give me all the power I need now with the understanding that in 2 to 3 years I can upgrade the CPU, GPU, SSD, and ram. I run FCPX and do 2k projects (1920x1080) but want the option to go to 4k. Should I get 16GB memory as an option now?

I have no thunderbolt external drives. No budget now for the thunderbolt 2. Looking at LaCie 6TB 2big thunderbolt 2-bay RAID. Is that a good way to go? Or for the same cost what about two Seagate Thunderbolt Adapters (daisy chain as a RAID) with two Seagate 3TB drives? Which set-up would be faster, LaCie or Seagate?
Would the Seagate adapters be more expandable in the future? Would they work with thunderbolt 2 drives (when available) or are they limited by the 10Gb/s?

Any other suggestions before I pull the trigger? Thanks for your advice.

Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mac Pro Purchase Qs 07 Jan 2014 20:53 #38336

• Darren Roark
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 61
I have the Seagate adapters and I use them mostly for backups. The drives inside are the bottleneck, not Tbolt 1.

The LaCie eSATA thunderbolt hub works great with eSATA RAID drives if you are on a budget. I get around 250mb/s read and write speeds on older G-Raids which can be picked up on clearance on many sites.

I would upgrade the GPU to at least the D500s now as it's the only part you can't purchase later if you want.

Although it's likely, there isn't any info regarding plans for Apple or a 3rd party to sell GPU update kits. I can't imagine used pairs of upgraded cards will be for sale anytime soon on ebay. The D300s you trade in for the D500s are applied to the price of the MP. If you can upgrade them later, you are eating that cost as they would be hard to sell.

All that said, no matter what version you get, it's still going to be one amazing computer.

Mac Pro Purchase Qs 08 Jan 2014 14:56 #38383

• Jim
  • Jim's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The Lacie 2big Raid (specs show about 350 Read/right) would be faster than the eSata hub right?

Mac Pro Purchase Qs 08 Jan 2014 15:42 #38386

• Makki
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
I was also thinking about La Cie hub. But Ben Balser advices me to use USB 3 as a good start, inexpensive. Something like Pegasus is overkill for my needs and overpriced. I am note sure that I will feel any difference with La Cie hub, but a different opinion would be welcomed.

Last edit: by Makki.

Mac Pro Purchase Qs 08 Jan 2014 18:31 #38421

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1279

Jim wrote: The Lacie 2big Raid (specs show about 350 Read/right) would be faster than the eSata hub right?

Yes, since it is a T'bolt RAID with SSD drives.

• Page: