fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Issues with M1 Macbook Pro/ Big Sur

Issues with M1 Macbook Pro/ Big Sur 28 Nov 2020 11:28 #111093

This YouTuber experienced some issues with his new M1 MacBooks, which he talks about in this video:

He gives a fair and interesting overview of the problems. Some seem to be MacOS Big Sur bugs (e.g. according to comments, the display malfunctions happen on their Intel Macs as well).
I'm curious about the playback stuttering in Final Cut, because he speculates, it could be the XAVC codec that is not optimised yet for Apple Silicon and/or Big Sur.
Does anyone here have an M1 Mac and XAVC material to test it on? Or did anyone have experienced the same issues with XAVC/Sony codecs?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by cybersalt. Reason: Testing video embed issue

Issues with M1 Macbook Pro/ Big Sur 28 Nov 2020 12:17 #111094

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 401

JossJoss5000 wrote: ....I'm curious about the playback stuttering in Final Cut, because he speculates, it could be the XAVC codec that is not optimised yet for Apple Silicon and/or Big Sur.

Does anyone here have an M1 Mac and XAVC material to test it on? Or did anyone have experienced the same issues with XAVC/Sony codecs?

He said after rebooting the M1 Mac, the XAVC-S laggy playback went away and he can no longer reproduce it. If it was an inherent issue with decoding efficiency of that codec it would be consistent.

At 07:46 in the test by iJustine "M1 Mac Review - Which M1 Mac Should You Get?", she states a 4k/120 10-bit clip from her A7SIII is very smooth in FCP on the M1 MBP 13. She briefly shows her Finder folder with the same Sony A7SIII filenames used in her timeline. This allows dividing the file size by clip duration, which indicates a bitrate of 280 mbps. That is the Sony bitrate used for 10-bit 4k/120 on two different codecs.

That means the footage she showed was either 10-bit XAVC-HS (HEVC) at 4k/120 or else it was 10-bit XAVC-S 4/120. I've played the same codecs from my A7SIII on my 10-core Vega 64 iMac Pro using FCPX 10.5, and they are very sluggish.

I don't have an M1 Mac for testing but based on the above it does not appear there is any problem with Sony XAVC-S material on FCP on Apple Silicon Macs. The first guy said it was a one-off issue he could not reproduce it.

iJustine M1 Mac FCPX video editing tests

Last edit: by joema.

Issues with M1 Macbook Pro/ Big Sur 28 Nov 2020 12:47 #111095

Yeah, thank you, I missed that... Than it seems to be software related. It wouldn't be Sony, if they didn't cause any trouble 😅 So, let's wait some time for updates and bug fixes

Issues with M1 Macbook Pro/ Big Sur 28 Nov 2020 14:44 #111097

joema wrote:

JossJoss5000 wrote:
At 07:46 in the test by iJustine "M1 Mac Review - Which M1 Mac Should You Get?", she states a 4k/120 10-bit clip from her A7SIII is very smooth in FCP on the M1 MBP 13. She briefly shows her Finder folder with the same Sony A7SIII filenames used in her timeline. This allows dividing the file size by clip duration, which indicates a bitrate of 280 mbps. That is the Sony bitrate used for 10-bit 4k/120 on two different codecs.

That means the footage she showed was either 10-bit XAVC-HS (HEVC) at 4k/120 or else it was 10-bit XAVC-S 4/120. I've played the same codecs from my A7SIII on my 10-core Vega 64 iMac Pro using FCPX 10.5, and they are very sluggish.

I don't have an M1 Mac for testing but based on the above it does not appear there is any problem with Sony XAVC-S material on FCP on Apple Silicon Macs. The first guy said it was a one-off issue he could not reproduce it.

iJustine M1 Mac FCPX video editing tests

Very interesting, alright, thank you for that. That is very helpful. And I feel your pain. e.g. my 2017 high end iMac turns into a blowdryer when I edit XAVC Long GOP in Multicam.  

• Page: