TOPIC: DVD Burner for Mac Mini

DVD Burner for Mac Mini 27 Dec 2013 01:22 #37374

• MrGatoPardo
  • MrGatoPardo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, this is Israel from Puebla, México.
I've recently changed my C2D MBP for a i5 Mac Mini, and the difference is huge, editing in FullHD, adding filters, etc.
The situation here is that the Mac Mini doesn't come with a DVD recording unit, my mainly job consists on social events, like weddings and other similar stuff and starting business on commercial videos. Most or the majority of the deliver are in DVDs, none of my clients has asked for Blu-Rays, none of them. The question is should I buy an Apple USB Superdrive (pros: only design, cons: no blu)? or get a Blu-ray Writer (Pros: blu burn, cons: non oriented Apple design, I haven't never burn (and I really don't know if I will) a Blu disc.
Which you suggest? thanks in advance...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DVD Burner for Mac Mini 27 Dec 2013 02:21 #37377

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1280
The Apple USB SuperDrive is as good as anything else on the market.

If you want to go Blu Ray, there are lots that are Mac compatible. But only you can decide if you want to go the Blu Ray route or not. I'd wait until someone demanded it. It is more expensive and a bit more involved than standard def DVD.

DVD Burner for Mac Mini 27 Dec 2013 05:41 #37390

• MrGatoPardo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you BenB. You know? The Superdrive is about $20 dollar cheaper against blu. I'm really interested on Apple design, I love it.
I don't know where my future clients will deliver content (thinking on commercial videos, now weddings are boring for me, need some more creative work). So I think I will go for the Superdrive because some Blu-Ray and DVD players also comes powered with USB inputs.
And... Correct! I'll wait until someone ask fox Blu-ray meanwhile I'll buy the Superdrive, thank you!

DVD Burner for Mac Mini 27 Dec 2013 13:22 #37407

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1280
My philosophy is, don't buy stuff just because you want it. Unless you admit it is money after your wants. If you're in business, buying stuff because you want it is throwing money away. Buy only what you need to get a job done. And throw that cost into your bills for clients who make you use that stuff. You are trying to turn a profit, and that only happens when your clients pay for the stuff their jobs require you to have.

I used to be shocked when I first started teaching nationally. I'd hear videographers talk about their new powerful Mac Pro! I'd ask how many jobs they'd need to do before it had paid for itself. It was rare to meet the guy know actually knew. Most "assumed" it would get paid off eventually. Bad business, and they wonder why their dirt poor. Its not the industry, it is good common business sense (or lack there of).

Thus, why I said to buy what you actually need now. If you don't have any solid future plan to incorporate Blu-Ray, wait until it is demanded. Then buy it, and put that cost into the clients' bills.

Rant over...

DVD Burner for Mac Mini 27 Dec 2013 16:48 #37426

• MrGatoPardo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Excellent! You're rigth! thank you for this advice, thank you for your experience, things are getting clear. :)

• Page: