fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Large RAIDs on M1 Macs 17 May 2022 09:11 #120567

Hoping to get some feedback on people's experience on using new, large RAID drives on M1 Macs.

We have a LaCie 6big on location for our media offloads and are currently getting a whopping 50MB/s write speed on RAID 5. via our M1 iMac.

LaCie acknowledges the issue and says this is all that can currently be expected, and that the onus is on Apple to fix the problem.

I've seen a couple of other references to connectivity issues and reduced performance with G-RAIDS too.

Can anyone share any good experiences (and what speeds you are getting) with new RAIDS and M1s — I say new because apparently some older Thunderbolt 2 drives don't seem to have the issue)?

Thank you kindly,
A

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Large RAIDs on M1 Macs 17 May 2022 11:01 #120571

Is this a TB3 drive? I have a LaCie RAID (set to mirrored) that is TB2 and gets ~130 MB/s. It's not used for media, so that's acceptable for me.

I ran into a lot of compatibility issues with older Promise RAID drives due to the driver not being updated to work with ARM processors.

I have had good experiences with my OWC Thunderbay Flex 8, which delivers around 600 MB/s and does not seem to have any issues with driver compatibilities on M1 Macs. Across the board, OWC hardware (Helios 3S, Thunderbay 4) has been solid on ARM processors except for my Mercury Pro LTO which had a controller card that was not compatible with ARM processors and had to be swapped out.

I don't know if this all comes down to firmware (LaCie, Promise) RAID controllers versus software (OWC, SoftRAID) but trying to maintain older hardware compatibility with new Apple processors may be what's causing problems on some of these drives. We're all conditioned to think that if the device can be physically connected it should work. Never seems quite that simple.

Large RAIDs on M1 Macs 17 May 2022 15:42 #120575

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 521
I have a 16TB OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini connected via Thunderbolt 3 to my Mac Studio M1 Ultra. It is four 4TB SATA SSDs in RAID-0 using AppleRAID (not SoftRAID). It does about 1225 megabytes/sec write, 1336 megabytes/sec read. They are formatted HFS+ (MacOS Extended Journaled). It also works OK on my M1 Max MacBook Pro 16. See attached.

LaCie apparently uses a MacOS kernel extension for their Lacie RAID Manager software. Since 2017 Apple has been advising developers to move to the more reliable system extension architecture, and each successive version of MacOS since 2017 has further deprecated kernel extensions.

Intel kernel extensions do not work on Apple Silicon, since Rosetta cannot translate those. A developer must at least build the kernel extension as a Universal app and must contain all ARM64 code necessary for that extension. Besides that there's a list of procedures required to enable an Apple Silicon or Universal kernel extension:

"Kernel extensions in macOS": support.apple.com/guide/security/kernel-...ons-sec8e454101b/web

LaCie "How to change startup disk security settings on an Apple silicon Mac":
www.lacie.com/support/kb/how-to-change-s...n-apple-silicon-mac/

I believe SoftRAID now works on Apple Silicon but I haven't tested that since I've moved away from SoftRAID due to previous problems. Here are their procedures for Apple Silicon; maybe it gives some ideas of what's required for Lacie RAID Manager (assuming LaCie has an Apple Silicon or Universal version): www.softraid.com/docs/softraid-quick-sta...-apple-silicon-macs/

Obviously one problem is if you have a RAID array that uses software or a driver (vs a hardware RAID box) and you want something besides RAID-0 or RAID-1 (which are available via the built-in AppleRAID). 3rd-party software or drivers would be required and those must work with Apple Silicon. It is apparently possible to do that on *current* versions of MacOS because SoftRAID is shipping a product. So if LaCie says they are waiting on Apple for something, I'd be curious about what since SoftRAID has already delivered a similar software-based RAID product.

Why your system is stuck at 50 MB/sec, I don't know. However I see on other forums some LaCie owners saying they went to SoftRAID or switched to USB 3.1 on the LaCie array and it worked better: developer.apple.com/forums/thread/669095
Attachments:

Large RAIDs on M1 Macs 17 May 2022 22:08 #120581

I'm running an OWC Thunderbay 8 - got 8 x 4TB SATA SSDs w/SoftRAID (RAID4).

Connected to an M1 Mini via TB3/4.
It replaced an Areca 8050T2 in RAID6 with spinners. There was trepidation initially, but the SoftRAID install went smoothly and setup was fairly straightforward. I did initialize and 'verify' all drives (simultaneously) with SoftRAID prior to setting up the array.

Old TB2 RAID - Read = 668 MB/s, Write = 612 MB/s [HFS+]
New OWC RAID - Read = 1962 MB/s, Write = 2026 MB/s [APFS]

I am absolutely thrilled with the upgrade.

Last edit: by dmetz. Reason: Added array format info

Large RAIDs on M1 Macs 18 May 2022 05:46 #120591

Is this a TB3 drive?

Yes, TB3 6 big 96TB.

I don't know if this all comes down to firmware (LaCie, Promise) RAID controllers versus software (OWC, SoftRAID) but trying to maintain older hardware compatibility with new Apple processors may be what's causing problems on some of these drives. We're all conditioned to think that if the device can be physically connected it should work. Never seems quite that simple.

Yes, seems to be an issue with Hardware RAID vs Software RAID.

Large RAIDs on M1 Macs 18 May 2022 18:29 #120608

I just built a 4 x 2TB NVME Raid 0 in an OWC Express 4M2.
I formatted each drive as APFS and set the Chunk size to 128k.

After a BM Disk speed test of 2724 Mbs Write & 2154 Mbs Read,
Now FCP is jumpy & crashing on a simple drag clip to timeline.
In Finder giant clips play flawlessly.

Is Raid 4 better with NVME?
Is a chunk size of 64 preferred?
Any thoughts or solutions for this?
Are things too fast now?

M1 Max Studio Base / Monterey 12.4

Large RAIDs on M1 Macs 18 May 2022 19:19 #120612

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 521

I just built a 4 x 2TB NVME Raid 0 in an OWC Express 4M2.
I formatted each drive as APFS and set the Chunk size to 128k...Now FCP is jumpy & crashing on a simple drag clip to timeline....Any thoughts or solutions for this?...Are things too fast now?

M1 Max Studio Base / Monterey 12.4

It's not because it's "too fast", otherwise the much faster Mac Studio internal SSD would make it crash.

Go to System Preferences>Security & Privacy, select Full Disk Access and in the right pane select FCP. It might be some kind of permissions issue FCP is not handling properly.

I assume you are running SoftRAID? Make sure you are on the latest version and check if any problems are reported in their support forums for Monterey 12.4, esp. on Mac Studio.

Try the simple things like reboot the machine, verify you have plenty of disk space, reset FCP preferences, create a test library and simple test project, try to drag the same clip to that. You are on 12.4 (which should be OK) but I've seen FCP preference files somehow get damaged during a MacOS upgrade.

If FCP still crashes it should raise a dialog. Save the crash log to a .txt file or select all with CTRL+A, copy/paste it from the crash dialog to TextEdit, then save that as a file. Then attach that as a file to a post (do not post in line). If that's not possible send it to me here and I'll examine it: www.transferbigfiles.com/dropbox/joema

Large RAIDs on M1 Macs 19 May 2022 20:42 #120649

I chose RAID 4 on the recommendation of SoftRAID. Less wear on the SSDs is the reason. We'll see, I guess.

To the OP - is your 6big connected to a hub/dock of any kind, or is it straight into the iMac? Also wondering if they're using decent cables. I've had plenty of speed issues with other drives, due entirely to cabling. USB-C / TB3-4 all look the same, but definitely do NOT perform equally.

• Page: