fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Will FCPX run on a MacBook?

Will FCPX run on a MacBook? 06 Apr 2017 14:14 #87009

• Brian S
  • Brian S's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey everyone, I'm a part time FCP user, I make instructional videos for my business, talking head, single camera, usually not more than an hour long, about 5 videos a year, editing .264 directly off an external USB drive. My trusted late 2011 MacBook Pro just died and it's time for a new computer.

I love the size of the new MacBook for my lifestyle and I'm wondering if it will run final cut. I don't care much about export times, just that it runs no worse than on my old machine. I'll get a pro if I need to, I'm just wondering if anyone has tried to work off a MacBook and how it went?

Thanks for any answers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Will FCPX run on a MacBook? 06 Apr 2017 18:41 #87019

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 369
It should run FCPX just fine for the workload you describe. I have done a fair amount of editing on a top-spec 2013 MacBook Air, which is roughly the same performance as the MacBook. I have even edited H264 4k material using proxy and that works OK.

I don't like the single USB-C connector on the Macbook, nor the lack of an SD card slot, nor the lack of MagSafe charging connector, but it is thin and light. OTOH USB-C means you can charge it from a portable battery pack, provided you have a USB-C cable.

To use your current USB drive with the MacBook, you'll need a USB-A to USB-C cable, or some kind of dock/dongle: www.cultofmac.com/451446/adapt-macbook-pro-docks-dongles/

Will FCPX run on a MacBook? 07 Apr 2017 03:56 #87021

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 664

Brian S wrote: … just wondering if anyone has tried to work off a MacBook and how it went?

not getting tired to share my hobbyist set-up:
MacMini 2012, 16GB Ram, int SSD and a handful of usb3 connected ext HDDs and SSDs = Multicam, no proxies, flawless …

ok, export times of complex projects need some time … anyhow. :lol:

• Page: