fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Needed: Help With Thunderbolt 3 RAID Set-Up

Needed: Help With Thunderbolt 3 RAID Set-Up 05 Nov 2016 14:00 #82243

• RayPaula
  • RayPaula's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I’m looking for some suggestions for a Thunderbolt 3 RAID set-up for the upcoming (fingers crossed) iMac. Once available, I will be maxing it out spec wise with the exception of Apples overpriced RAM.
I’m looking for a smooth 1080 and 4K editing experience without any lagging and/or time consuming issues. My editing events are anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour on the timeline. I do like using some effects, plugins, transitions, chroma keying, pictures and music therefore, I do use multiple timelines. Rendering times are not important to me, I usually do so overnight.
Planned software;
Apple FCPX
Apple Motion 5
Apple Comperssor
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5

My following equipment only consists of;
Sony XDCAM PXW-X70 w/ XAVC L(GOP), AVCHD with 4K
GoPro Hero 2
Sony RX100 V with 4K (near future)

I placed a similar post back in February. At that time, I received great advice and learned alot from many you. I was about to pull the trigger on a maxed out iMac (2015) and a Pegasus2 R8 24TB (8 x 3TB SATA) RAID Thunderbolt 2 System. I held off from that purchase due to rumors of Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C coming in the near future. I’m glad I did...........
Promise Technology has a new Pagasus 3 lineup www.promise.com/Products/Pegasus/Pegasus3-Symply-Edition I’ve been waiting for this all summer wanting a Pegasus3 R8 24TB (8 x 3TB SATA). Unfortunately, this particular one isn’t offered in the Thunderbolt 3 lineup. There are only two being offered in an 8 disc array, 32TB (8x4TB SATA) and 48TB (8x6TB). Also offered are 4 and 6 drive configurations. (Sizes are found accordingly under Specifications)
I came to the conclusion of getting an 8 disc array set as RAID 5. This decision was mainly due to learning the fact that seamless playback/throughput of 4K is directed to how many drives you have and not the overall capacity in a hard drive subsystem.
Now I have a few questions due to the huge difference between Thunderbolt 2 and 3.
As you know, Thunderbolt 3 offers 40gbps which is double that of Thunderbolt 2. Keeping in mind that I plan on running in RAID 5, I have some questions;
1) With the speed of Thunderbolt 3, would you still stick with an 8 disc array?
2) Would a 6 disc array with Thunderbolt 3 offer faster throughput than an 8 disc array Thunderbolt 2?
3) What would you recommend for two separate Thunderbolt 3 disc array drives with one being your RAID editing drive and the other for original media/master backups, what would you purchase?
4) Would you just use a Thunderbolt 3 disc array for your editing RAID drive with a non RAID backup drive?

Please give me your thoughts, ideas and/or recommendations that may come to mind. As always, your help would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks, Ray

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Needed: Help With Thunderbolt 3 RAID Set-Up 09 Nov 2016 18:11 #82493

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 530
I use a T'bolt 2 4 disc RAID 5, Pegasus. I edit 4K mixed with 720 and 1080 and 2K just fine for hour and half hour shows.

But getting the newer stuff helps "future proof" your investment. Give it a few months after your purchase, T'bolt 4 and 5 and 6 will come along. USB-D will take over everything Apple.

I don't know if you'll see real life performance difference between 6 and 8 drives. Technically, 8 would give more potential through-put. It would also help future proof, and be prepared for the most demanding of productions.

As for a backup drive, here's what I do at my home studio, and at the TV station. Spend the money on the working drives. Buy cheap USB-3 for backups. I even have a USB-2 as a backup somewhere. We usually throw 5200rpm drives in them, also. We don't need speed, we need a backup at 2am. Why spend money on performance we don't need? These backups happen overnight. I don't need performance from them, just drive space. The initial backup takes forfreakinever, but the nightly backups after that run 15-20 minutes, even on our slow backups. And that's at 2am when no one is awake anyway.

Expensive fast working RAID, cheap slow backup RAID.

That's going to be a hellofa system once you're up and running!

Needed: Help With Thunderbolt 3 RAID Set-Up 09 Nov 2016 22:20 #82505

• RayPaula
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Awesome!! This is exactly what I'm looking for. Real world users and what they're using for editing RAID drives and backup drives. It's nice to know what can handle 4K along with a mix of other formats. As I stated, I was going for the Pegasus2 R8 24TB (8 x 3TB SATA) simply due to having 8 drives spinning for 4K editing. Even with Thunderbolt 3 I'm sure an 8 drive array would be the wow factor. I do understand that it's the number of drives that's needed over capacity. As you know, the price of these drives are very pricy. With that being said, I was in hopes that a Thunderbolt 3 6 drive array in RAID 5 would match the 8 drive array Thunderbolt 2 in regards to read/write speed/throughput. As I stated, I do mix alot of different things while editing which of course eats up read/write speeds. You are so right about tomorrows technology. Once you're all set up and running, it becomes yesterdays tech. I feel the same as you do about backup drive/s, what's the hurry, let it backup over night or use time machine. I do like having a backup of a backup when I can. I just need to decide on a 6 drive or 8 drive RAID 5 for video editing. I do have a handful of 1TB and 2TB USB 3.0 drives, but wouldn't mind a nice 4 drive array running RAID 5 as well. Thanks for your input, I sincerely appreciate it! Ray :)

{modulepos kunena-ct-1}

Needed: Help With Thunderbolt 3 RAID Set-Up 10 Nov 2016 05:06 #82510

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 530
I have 4TB drives in my 4 bay P2, so 12 TB working space.

Needed: Help With Thunderbolt 3 RAID Set-Up 10 Nov 2016 12:43 #82522

• RayPaula
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the reply....... When you're editing about an hour or so on the timeline do you ever use multicam, multible effects, plugins, transitions, chroma keying, pictures, music, etc.? As you know, with all that going on it's labor intensive on an editing drive. If you do, are you getting any lagging with your Pegasus? Are you running in proxy? I would like to work in real time without using proxy. Thanks again, I sincerely appreciate all your help and input. Ray :)

Last edit: by RayPaula.
  • Page: