fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

10 bit colour 24 Sep 2016 17:04 #80260

• hyphen
  • hyphen's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all

I was wondering wether I could get some advice from you guys. After installing switchresx I can switch the colour settings to billion of colours, i.e. 10 bit. Is it safe to assume that if I switch to billion colours, even with a 10 bit monitor, I will only see 8 bit since the GTX 980 I use does not support 10 bit in opengl? And finally, is rendering of 10 bit video affected by the 8 bit limit of the GPU? I do plan to get a 10 bit UHD monitor (store.asus.com/us/item/201605AM050000027) to use along with my 1920x1080 one. Hopefully the 980 can support both of them.

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 bit colour 25 Sep 2016 10:04 #80265

There is no 8-bit limit on your GPU. OpenGL has supported floating point textures for a fair while. This means that it can do render calculations at precisions well beyond 10 bit.

However it looks like that the monitor output might be limited to 8 bit, so even if you connect a 10 bit capable monitor you will still only see an 8 bit image.

Does that answer the question?

10 bit colour 25 Sep 2016 10:36 #80266

• hyphen
  • hyphen's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you so much for your reply. I does answer it indeed. I guess the "billion colours" setting in SwitchResX, only reflects the OS's capability for 10 bit colour...

Once again thanks!

• Page: