fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: 10 bit colour

10 bit colour 24 Sep 2016 17:04 #80260

• hyphen
  • hyphen's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all

I was wondering wether I could get some advice from you guys. After installing switchresx I can switch the colour settings to billion of colours, i.e. 10 bit. Is it safe to assume that if I switch to billion colours, even with a 10 bit monitor, I will only see 8 bit since the GTX 980 I use does not support 10 bit in opengl? And finally, is rendering of 10 bit video affected by the 8 bit limit of the GPU? I do plan to get a 10 bit UHD monitor ( store.asus.com/us/item/201605AM050000027 ) to use along with my 1920x1080 one. Hopefully the 980 can support both of them.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 bit colour 25 Sep 2016 10:04 #80265

• Seamusvfx
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
There is no 8-bit limit on your GPU. OpenGL has supported floating point textures for a fair while. This means that it can do render calculations at precisions well beyond 10 bit.

However it looks like that the monitor output might be limited to 8 bit, so even if you connect a 10 bit capable monitor you will still only see an 8 bit image.

Does that answer the question?

10 bit colour 25 Sep 2016 10:36 #80266

• hyphen
  • hyphen's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you so much for your reply. I does answer it indeed. I guess the "billion colours" setting in SwitchResX, only reflects the OS's capability for 10 bit colour...

Once again thanks!

• Page: