fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2010 Mac Pro vs 2013 Macbook Pro

2010 Mac Pro vs 2013 Macbook Pro 21 Mar 2016 15:58 #74521

• david.schamis
  • david.schamis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Does it surprise anyone that my late 2013 2.6GHz i5 16GB Macbook Pro absolutely smokes my 2010 3.33GHz 6-core 32GB Mac Pro?

When it comes to Compressor, the Macbook Pro is about twice as fast as the Mac Pro. Seems crazy but its true.

I have been eagerly waiting for Apple to get around to releasing a new Mac Pro, which is taking longer than I ever expected - its kind of a joke already!

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2010 Mac Pro vs 2013 Macbook Pro 07 Apr 2016 15:31 #75037

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196
Hi David
Welcome to the forums!
Sorry no one commented on your post.
There are lots of reasons any one system may be faster than another. Many variables. You do not give the tech specs on your MP tower (legacy) and how it is configured plays a very big part in how it handles various tasks in editing.
There is a topic here called BruceX that folks use to compare systems…

www.fcp.co/forum/hardware/18250-brucex-t...-cut-pro-x-benchmark

BareFeats does a better job in comparing system configurations with various configurations. Scroll through the landing page index or use the Site Map to find relevant articles. BareFeats has lots of comparisons regarding the legacy towers reconfigured and compared to many other Macs.

barefeats.com

So in answer to your question, not really. But you can max out your 2010 tower and get more useful life out of it while waiting for the next killer MacPro. Maybe coming soon.

Hope this helps, Greg

2010 Mac Pro vs 2013 Macbook Pro 08 Apr 2016 12:49 #75054

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
What Greg said, plus...

We (and Apple) have been waiting on a desktop class CPU upgrade from Intel, which should be released later this year, we hope. There's not really been a CPU our yet to replace what the late 2013 Mac Pro uses. So no, it's not a joke, it is the reality of CPU development. Faster, more powerful CPUs simply don't get released as fast or as often as they used to. I've yet to see a production desktop yet that will "smoke" the current Mac Pro all around yet. But hopefully, later this year, we'll see it happen, from Apple. "Slightly" better does not justify upgrading a pro product. Need something majorly better. Not to mention newer more powerful GPUs.

As for your comparison, you can't go by cock rate of a CPU. There's much more to the equation than that (I'm a retired IT engineer, sorry for the rant). The MBP you're using does in fact have more powerful CPUs than your old MP, plus I'm guessing more powerful GPUs.

What sort of secondary media drive are you using on each?

Last edit: by BenB.

2010 Mac Pro vs 2013 Macbook Pro 09 Apr 2016 06:29 #75087

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 664

BenB wrote: ...you can't go by cock rate of a CPU. ..

ROTFLMAO!!!

esp. in German we have the phrase 'cock comparison' when playing 'mine is bigger/faster/better/more expensive/..." - "no mine",........ :silly:

back2topic:
finding BruceX helpful
www.fcp.co/forum/hardware/18250-brucex-t...-cut-pro-x-benchmark

Question to the engineers:
What about Nvidias Pascal ...?
'no Nvidias on Apple' in general, or 'too high power consumption', or is this 'beast' of no use at all?
interesting the bts story, showing no board/mockup, but talking of 'in production' on keynote - time window would fit ........

2010 Mac Pro vs 2013 Macbook Pro 13 Apr 2016 11:25 #75293

• dorin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The latest versions of FCPX are heavy GPU / OpenCL dependent. A powerful GPU will make all the difference using FCPX. Also Intel's QuickSync has an important roll on export process, the integrated iGPU form the newer hardware will almost take over the CPU on export using H264 single pass based codecs. This explains why the MacBook Pro is so much faster: almost hardware export. Also the flash based NVME SSD is much faster than a Sata based SSD from the MacPro Mid 2010.

I'm no engineer but...
At the release time, the best CPU for MacPro 6.1 was E5-2697 v2 with 12 cores / 24 threads on soket FCLGA2011. Since than Intel has released an entire new FCLGA2011-3 socket and line of CPUs up to 18 cores / 36 threads based on Haswell architecture. This summer Intel will reveal the Brodwell-EP family of Xeons with up to 22 cors / 44 threads also on FCLGA2011-3. So the actual Mac Pro 6.1 will be at least 2 generations behind Intel's line of products. On the graphics side, AMD is working on Polaris architecture and will release a consumer grade line of products this summer but no word about FirePro variants of that architecture. The second best FirePro will be S9170 based on GCN GPU architecture but I don't see that in a Mac Pro any time soon. I hope Apple will refresh the MacPro with the new architecture and also with 2 or more M.2 NVME SSD slots for more internal storage. Also a Quadro M6000 will be nice but this is wishful thinking.

On the consumer side, nVidia confirms that a mobile version of Pascal will be available since mid June so it can be an option for the next iMac or MacBook Pro this year. Also Intel is preparing Kaby Lake line of CPUs probably for the last Q of this year, but I don't think Apple will bring us a Pascal + Kaby iMac this year.

Last edit: by dorin.

2010 Mac Pro vs 2013 Macbook Pro 13 Apr 2016 12:40 #75304

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277

2010 Mac Pro vs 2013 Macbook Pro 15 Apr 2016 08:04 #75404

• dorin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Great - Mac's now updated every 2 years, and in the case of the Mac Pro, every decade.

Pretty accurate statement. But at least the user can upgrade the CPU from MacPro three times.

Last edit: by dorin.

2010 Mac Pro vs 2013 Macbook Pro 15 Apr 2016 13:06 #75415

• david.schamis
  • david.schamis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

dorin wrote:

Great - Mac's now updated every 2 years, and in the case of the Mac Pro, every decade.

Pretty accurate statement. But at least the user can upgrade the CPU from MacPro three times.

I know that Apple is making a fortune on iPhones but its really amazing that they are so slow to upgrade their computers. There is no question in my mind that if this company was still just a computer company, and management focus was entirely on the computers, we would see more frequent updates.

In a world where 99% of what I do is in either Photoshop/Lightroom, FCP (which can be switched for Premiere Pro if I had to) and Chrome, its getting harder and harder to justify waiting around for Apple to take a break from making phones to update their computers.

2010 Mac Pro vs 2013 Macbook Pro 16 Apr 2016 03:59 #75444

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196
Mac Pro's have never gone a "decade" between updates. Not at all a "Pretty accurate statement".
In fact, right now is the longest that a MP has gone without any updates, ~2.4 years. The last legacy MP5.1 was last updated on June 11, 2012 and the new MP6.1 came out December 19, 2013 thou in very limited quantities.
The actual release history for MPs is roughly 12-18 months.
If people mean a total revamp of the entire computer, "Cheese Grader" 2006 intro to "Cylinder" 2013, that still isn't a decade and there were numerous "Updates" 2007/08/09/10/12. Where is there a decade???
I think we are due for a new model soon.
Yes Apple is dependent on Intel and many other manufactures schedules but Apple has not abandoned "Professional" users. Cool your jets everyone, Apple is busy improving the underlying frameworks and it is really the software that makes real improvements and that is on an annual basis.
It is really easy to fact check release dates.

Hope this helps, Greg

• Page: