fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: QNAP TVS-871T Thunderbolt NAS?

QNAP TVS-871T Thunderbolt NAS? 11 May 2016 01:57 #76547

• nate.haustein
  • nate.haustein's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Colin,

Sorry you're having permissions issues. I'm no expert at them, but messing around with the users and permissions in the QNAP utility (the web interface) has worked for me well enough so far. I've been trying to wrap my head around it a bit better, but I'm short on time at the moment and while the occasional permissions modifications in the finder is inconvenient, (Get Info, then allow staff access and apply to all items in folder), it's not overly debilitating to our workflow.

I want to run the new QTS update and rework the users and permissions, but before that happens I need a full backup (or two) and the free time to make it happen. Sorry I'm not more help than "poke around a bit" to see what works.

I've got direct thunderbolt to 2 computers, and Ethernet to the other 2. The Ethernet can be pokey. I'm looking to run 10GbE to the third computer soon, direct from the QNAP (small office), versus a switch. For now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QNAP TVS-871T Thunderbolt NAS? 11 May 2016 06:52 #76549

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
Hi guys,

I am going to do a comparison test between the QNAP and the Jellyfish, but first I will have to get my hands on a QNAP with sufficient bandwidth and connectivity. Otherwise the comparison would be unfair.

I just got back from Madrid where I did an FCP X presentation at the national film school. For this event, Lumaforge sent us a Jellyfish to demo and I must say we have been very impressed with it.

Installation:

1. Power up the Jellyfish, connect your computers to the unit and install the ShareClient utility on each computer.
2. In the ShareClient: press Scan, Initialize, Mount (3 clicks). The Jellyfish instantly recognizes your computer and the port it is connected to, it optimizes the NFS settings for every computer and it mounts your NFS share (takes about 2 minutes per machine).
3. Import footage and start editing.

We were up and running with 3 5K iMacs and 1 new MacPro over 10 GigE in less than 15 minutes.

We demoed multicam editing running 6 streams of ProRes422 on multiple machines at the same time without any latency or dropped frames, which was quite impressive for such a small box. More on this later.

- Ronny
Attachments:

QNAP TVS-871T Thunderbolt NAS? 11 May 2016 13:26 #76577

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
Very impressive Ronny! Thanks for the info! I was very impressed with Jellyfish at NAB last month, too. Why use anything else?

• Page: