fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: rMBP vs 5K iMac?

rMBP vs 5K iMac? 11 Oct 2015 11:29 #69420

• DmitriZigany
  • DmitriZigany's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Hey!

I have a retina MacBook Pro (2.6ghz, 16gb ram, 1gb GeForce GT 650M). It works great for the most part, but starting to feel like I'd like a little bit more power...
I wonder, how much of a difference would getting the maxed out 5K iMac make? (4ghz, 32gb ram, 4gb 295X)

Anyone have any experience with this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

VidGreg 11 Oct 2015 17:04 #69428

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196
Hi Dmitri
Here a couple of articles from BareFeats comparing rMBP (2015) to iMac 5K (2014). You would then need to check BareFeats for comparison of 2012 rMBP vs 2015 rMBP to see the speed differences to come to a conclusion about how much improvement you will see by buying a new iMac 5K.
While Tim C hasn't called me to let me know for sure, I think the iMac line will be refreshed soon. :P
It will be interesting to see what processor Apple decides to use in a new iMac 5K. There is a Skylake xeon now available.

BareFeats links… barefeats.com/imac5k10.html
barefeats.com/rmbp15b.html

Hope this helps, Greg

rMBP vs 5K iMac? 12 Oct 2015 01:15 #69431

• DmitriZigany
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks!

Seems like most rumour sites think there will be a new 21" retina iMac but the 27" won't be updated. Maybe they mean the non-retina 27". The retina 27" came out October last year so should at least get some small refresh one would think!

Either way, not in a hurry so will wait until there's an updated 27" anyway...

Was curious about experiences with FCPX in particular but will check out the bare feats thing!

VidGreg 12 Oct 2015 16:24 #69446

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196
You're welcome Dmitri
BareFeats does do some testing using FCPX and other tests that apply, so give them a look. Unfortunately, Rob is not as active as he used to be, but I like his testing.

I am also considering a new computer, but waiting for some CPU/GPU upgrades. Got to admit to being interested in the 27" 5K iMac. My old MP has died, miss having the flexibility of upgrading the old beast. Have the same 2012 rMBP as you as my main computer.

Hope this helps, Greg

rMBP vs 5K iMac? 13 Oct 2015 14:56 #69461

• DmitriZigany
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
So now there's a new iMac out... still tops out at 4ghz and 4gb vram but the new Skylake processor and a newer graphics card... And as my second monitor was most likely killed by a flodded basement, this looks rather tempting... But I also want a ODyssey 7Q for my FS700... hmmm... ;)

• Page: