• Page:

TOPIC: The New Macbook

The New Macbook 03 May 2015 13:12 #63975

• kymtanxp
  • kymtanxp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm considering the New Macbook for its portability and sleekness. However, I'm also about to start to try final cut for video editing. Is it advisable to get the New Macbook if I wish to install and use Final Cut?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The New Macbook 04 May 2015 13:08 #64015

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 195
Hi Kym,
Welcome to the forums :)
Assuming you are asking about the new 12"Macbook retina model that just came out. Short answer = No.

Picking the "right" video editing system, can be a daunting task. Many factors go into deciding what computer will meet your needs, depends on what type of videos you plan on shooting, (SD, HD, 2,4,6K), how many cams, effects, etc… No matter what, video editing is one of the most taxing/demanding uses of a computer, therefore you need the best you can get/afford.

The new 12" Macbook is roughly equivalent to an Air in performance, and the Air chokes on FCPX. See this thread… www.fcp.co/hardware-and-software/1190-so...-run-final-cut-pro-x

It really does not have the processing power in its CPU, GPU or ram. It is also a fanless design that will throttle its own performance as it heats up, and video editing will heat it up. Finally, it uses the new USBc connector and this port needs to mature.

IMHO, for a laptop, you will be better served with a retina Macbook Pro with an i7 CPU and discreet GPU and include 16GB ram. If $$ is an issue, buy the best you can or consider a used laptop.
If you can get by with a desktop, recent iMacs will all outperform the 12" Macbook "Far, far and away".
The older legacy towers are now getting much cheaper on the used end and can be souped up to really perform quite well. Again vastly faster than the 12" or any other laptop.

Good luck,
Hope this helps, Greg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: