TOPIC: External Raid Recommendations?

External Raid Recommendations? 24 Feb 2015 14:48 #60352

• adamschoales
  • adamschoales's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to get an external RAID setup for my rMBP (which if I'm not mistaken supports Thunderbolt 2). There's a few options out there but wondered if people had any favourites. I had my eyes on the G-RAID Studio since I like G-technology drives the most out of any that I've tried. I'm also intrigued by their EV system. Looks expensive, but the idea of having easily hot-swappable drives is nice, especially because you could simply have each drive correspond to a specific project.

At our studio we've got 2 Pegasus R6 units but both of them have given us trouble over the years, and I don't really trust them to be honest.

Of course there's also options like Drobo, and I do like the fact that you can expand their storage quite easily. That said, I don't know how great they are for editing...

Anyways, just wanted to get peoples thoughts on what external RAIDs they like. Thunderbolt 2 isn't a requirement (especially since it's so expensive) but always appreciated.

Everything is still very expensive of course, so I'm trying to find that sweet spot where the price is reasonable, but the RAID will also be functional.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by adamschoales.

External Raid Recommendations? 02 Mar 2015 18:09 #60718

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 195
Hi Adam,
Early rMBPs were TB1 and later ones are TB2.
More and more choices, finally, for TB RAIDs.
G-Tech (and other companies, if I am not mistaken) requires that you only use their drives and using a different drive voids warranty(?) I don't really like this, and sometimes the supplied drives are not the fastest/best.
G-Tech is now owned by HGST/Western Digital.
You already know about Promise. There are also RAID enclosures by OWC, Star Tech and some others.
You can also do software RAID.
Barefeats has a couple of reviews… barefeats.com
Also DigLloyd runs some tests, but he is heavily into OWC products… macperformanceguide.com/index.html
Not really a recommendation, just info.
Hope this helps, Greg

External Raid Recommendations? 02 Mar 2015 18:11 #60719

• adamschoales
  • adamschoales's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
thanks Greg.

I have the second gen rMBP so I have TB2 which is nice!

• Page: