• Page:

TOPIC: Looking for SAN advice for 2 editors using FCPX

Looking for SAN advice for 2 editors using FCPX 16 Jan 2015 20:52 #58578

• kpardue
  • kpardue's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
We're a small company that's now just on the cusp of needing a larger solution. We currently have a Drobo 5D with 12TB of 7200RPM drives that we've been sneaker netting between a Macbook Pro and a Mac Pro. Our FCPX library is large, and performance in FCPX is slow. We're looking for a solution that will let us collaborate. Only one person would need to be in the FCPX library at a time, but we need some way to both access the volume with the video on it without having so much legwork.

As I understand it, we need a SAN solution for this, but I'm admittedly overwhelmed looking at them, with costs ranging between $7k and $30k. I don't think we'd be able to budget more than $5k for a solution at this time.

Would the Drobo D800i be an adequate solution, or would the connection via gigabit ethernet slow us down even more than we already are? Are there any faster solutions that don't require an arm and a leg investment?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Looking for SAN advice for 2 editors using FCPX 27 Jan 2015 10:23 #58920

• Ed Stevens
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

kpardue wrote: We're a small company that's now just on the cusp of needing a larger solution. We currently have a Drobo 5D with 12TB of 7200RPM drives that we've been sneaker netting between a Macbook Pro and a Mac Pro. Our FCPX library is large, and performance in FCPX is slow. We're looking for a solution that will let us collaborate. Only one person would need to be in the FCPX library at a time, but we need some way to both access the volume with the video on it without having so much legwork.

As I understand it, we need a SAN solution for this, but I'm admittedly overwhelmed looking at them, with costs ranging between $7k and $30k. I don't think we'd be able to budget more than $5k for a solution at this time.

Would the Drobo D800i be an adequate solution, or would the connection via gigabit ethernet slow us down even more than we already are? Are there any faster solutions that don't require an arm and a leg investment?

Hello,

I think the key point is what the format of your video is. To decide what kind of equipment you need depends on the needs of your company.

If you mainly work on Apple ProRes with only two Macs online reading or writing files, then the iSCSI SAN with about 1Gb bandwidth for each Mac will be quite enough for you. You may choose iSCSI SAN equipment such as Drobo for your company.

But if you need to edit 2K/4K DPX files and there will be 2 workstations online reading from the storages, I will suggest you adopt Fiber Channel or PCIe storages--although they are too expensive for you.

Storage adopts Fiber Channel such as Promise Pegasus series can be used in building a SAN environment with high performance and high expandability for your Macs. But, it costs quite a lot--or I have to say that's far beyond your budget.

You also can choose Accusys ExaSAN PCIe series. It adopts PCIe interface and you may connect your Mac Pro and Macbook Pro to their PCIe switch via converters. That's a quiet simple configuration without complicated installation process and will provide you a high performance as Fiber Channel does. But, the advantage of Accusys ExaSAN is that the total cost will be lower than other solutions adopting Fiber Channel.

However, although Accusys ExaSAN costs not as much as Fiber Channel, SAN environment with Accusys ExaSAN also goes beyond your budget. (You may use Google to see how much it will cost)

Anyway, I think you might clarify what you need first, and only in this way you can find an appropriate one with appropriate cost. That's my experience, hope this may help you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Ed Stevens.
  • Page: