• Page:

TOPIC: Fan problem

Fan problem 19 Nov 2014 11:20 #56205

• Nagel
  • Nagel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Wondering why there is not MAC pro at the Categories at Hardware section...anyway...

The other day I turned on my Mac Pro (early 2009) and two hours later Fans began to go faster and faster, so I turned off immediately the computer.
Now everything is all wright...but what was it? It's the end? It is part of the programmed Obsolescence?
Did anybody had this situation? I recently installed FanControl to preferences. Is it good app?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fan problem 19 Nov 2014 13:24 #56212

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 195
Nagel,
Fans in all Macs are variable speed and tied to temperature sensors. If doing lots of intensive work, especially if it is hot in the room, the speed of the fans will increase. There are many apps that will show you the temps at the various sensor locations and the fan speeds.
On occasion, it is possible that Mac will experience runaway fans do to a glitch in software/firmware. Restarting the computer or resetting the SMC most likely will fix the issue.

Apple KB … support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Finally, when was the last time you cleaned out all the dust bunnies inside your MacPro? Dust, cat hair and lots of other stuff will get vacuumed into the computer and create an insulating blanket on all your electronics. I routinely cleaned the insides of my MacPro every few months and did a total strip down and cleaning every couple of years including the heat risers (fins) on the CPUs.
There are also reports of the hold down clips on the riser breaking allowing separation of the riser and the CPU. This is not likely your problem as it leads to lots of issues all the time.

Fan Control IMHO does fine. I preset fan speeds and would change speeds based on air temperature, work being done. Fan Control sets the minimum speed but does not interfere if the Mac calls for faster speeds to cool off the computer.

Hope this helps, Greg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: