Internal SSD 12 Jun 2014 04:15 #47700

• sulaimansibai
  • sulaimansibai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • www.sulaimansibai.com
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi folks,

I'm experiencing major lag when editing 4k on MBP mid 2010 with 8gb-ram so have decided on upgrading the HD to SSD.

Have purchased 250 GB SSD from crucial - shall I install OSX onto the SSD and run FCPX off it? I was advised that I should move the project I'm working on to the SSD for even faster results? Or should I keep the Library on an External HD (FW 800).

Also any thoughts with what I should do with the current internal HDD (500GB)

Thanking all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Internal SSD 12 Jun 2014 05:32 #47705

• Bobbyco
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
SSD will help since they are so much faster. However the graphics card of that MB Pro is not to the standards of the current line. I know, I have a mid 2010 myself. I don't edit 4k and I couldn't imagine this era machine will do well.

I have 2 SSDs in mine as I also replaced the SuperDrive. The performance improved dramatically in terms of none to few dropped frames during edit 1920x1080 and other aspects related to disk I/o. What won't improve detectably is the time to transcode for export. That's a function mostly of the GPU, CPU and available RAM.

Couple things that can help, when transcoding, disconnect any external monitor-frees up GPU a bit.
Turn of background rendering in Preferences.

I didn't quite understand your wording on the question of how to use the SSD. Basically SSD for the library hands down outperforms FW800. But you need OS X somewhere, ya? It's not recommended to have the system drive also contain a Library. The FCPX Application, yes, but not a Library.

Internal SSD 12 Jun 2014 18:06 #47725

• sulaimansibai
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • www.sulaimansibai.com
Hey - thanks for the speedy reply! I know, it's such a shame - I had a feeling that it was my GPU effecting overall performance. It has been crashing the MBP on export and general rendering. It's driving me insane!

In terms of where to place FCP X Library for optimum performance I guess the best set up would be to have 2x SSD in the MBP like yourself. One for the OS X and the other for Library.

Will it still show improvement if I have OS X on the SSD and libraries on an external FW 800?

What would you advise on doing with the other internal 5400rpm HDD I will have?

Many thanks Bobbyco!

Last edit: by sulaimansibai.

Internal SSD 12 Jun 2014 20:14 #47728

• Bobbyco
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

sulaimansibai wrote: Will it still show improvement if I have OS X on the SSD and libraries on an external FW 800?

It would show very little, though some, improvement. Thing is, Firewire 800 is a slow pipe. What I mean is as you edit, scrub, apply effects, etc. FCPX will have to constantly read from the FW800HD. That is slow compared to an SSD. With a boot SSD, yes the OS and FCPX will load and execute faster, but your Library of Events and Projects will still be slow across FW.

If you look around, a 120GB SSD can be had for $100 or even less. Then, replace the Superdrive with a larger SSD to use as a data volume. I've seen 480-500 GB SSDs for as little as $250, maybe a little less.
Note that with a smaller boot SSD you may need sim links to store Documents, Photo, Videos Home folders on the 2nd HDD. I don't have time at the moment, but if you want, I can send you links to the Data Doubler, set up, etc.

As for the extra 5400 drive. BACK UP. Yep, use it for backup :)

Internal SSD 12 Jun 2014 21:14 #47730

• sulaimansibai
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • www.sulaimansibai.com
Yeah I think I will go for that set up! Sounds great .

Although when researching online I have noticed people claiming remarkable results when using an internal SSD for boot and the secondary external HDD over FW800 for Libraries and Projects. See link:

robotics.usc.edu/~ampereir/wordpress/?p=646

Clearly having two SSD's would be better I just want to clear it all up before I spend my bucks..!

What are sim links? As in reference files? Appreciate your help, that would be great!!

Thanks in advance Bobby!

Internal SSD 13 Jun 2014 16:30 #47785

• Bobbyco
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
In the link you post, there is no reference to FW 800 external drive. The speed text posted is only representing the new internal boot SSD.
Watch this very short youtube clip:

That is a FW800 external disk. Doesn't matter of the source computer has SSD or not, that's the throughput.

Don't take this following comment as an insult, it's not intended that way at all. If you aren't sure what a sim link is, then let me back up and help you reevaluate what to do, 2-SSDs or 1+1HDD in a different way.

How big is your Home folder of your user account? In other words Pictures, Music, Movies, Documents... folders etc. (But, note that Movies size won't matter much as you can have your FCPX libraries elsewhere.) I ask because that will determine how large an SSD drive you need to have OS X boot SSD with no need for the geeky sim link possibility.

Basically, are you only using FCPX on this Mac or is it a day-to-day computer used for editing too?

Internal SSD 13 Jun 2014 18:01 #47788

• sulaimansibai
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • www.sulaimansibai.com
Ah - I missed that.

Sure, I use around 100GB on my main drive. Which has FCP X, spottily and maybe a few other apps.

ALL movies photos etc are on external HDDs.

I'm just trying to figure the best possible workflow. This 2010 MBP is just too old...It has now thunderbolt, or USB 3 which makes my have to use SSD, which I don't mind. I just want to figure out how I can achieve the best results when working.

thanks again! Really appreciate your time.

Internal SSD 13 Jun 2014 18:08 #47789

• sulaimansibai
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • www.sulaimansibai.com
PS Would I get better speeds having FCP X Libraries on internal HDD and running the app and OS X on SSD?

thanks

Internal SSD 13 Jun 2014 21:34 #47801

• Bobbyco
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Well, answering your next post first, internal HDD would be a little better. Thing is, again, you want to edit 4k. Your absolutely right, the Mid 2010 is old. no modern fast external interface. I'm only editing HD and so I'm trying to wait for even newer MB pros before I buy a new machine. Spending money now for SSDs I figure useful as I'll pull them and transfer to thunderbolt 2 external enclosures at a later date. BTW, sorry I missed that you said you'd already purchased a 250 GB SSD. That will suite fine for an OS boot drive given your 100GB description of usage.

Even with two SSDs you will be dealing with the 250MB graphics card ram limit. So your edit live performance can improve with the SSDs but the export rendering will be painful at processing the 4k frames.

Upgrade what you have now to buy time as I did or go get the $2600 MB Pro with discrete Graphics 2GB card now.

Internal SSD 13 Jun 2014 23:54 #47806

• sulaimansibai
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • www.sulaimansibai.com
Hi, yeah I think by the time I am constantly editing 4K I would have most probably upgraded to a mac pro by then.

However in the meantime it's nice to upgrade my system to its limits to try and do so.

The SSD is a god send - silence and speed. What more could I ask for.

I used Blackmagics speed app and selected the target drive to my external FW800 which is giving R/W speeds of 60mb/s - there has got to be something wrong there surely right?!

Internal SSD 14 Jun 2014 12:53 #47830

• Bobbyco
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationFood for thought B)
?

• Page: