fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Buffalo MiniStation Thunderbolt anyone used for on the road editing?

Buffalo MiniStation Thunderbolt anyone used for on the road editing? 19 May 2014 09:30 #46230

• beatleben
  • beatleben's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Has anyone used the Buffalo MiniStation Thunderbolt which is 1TB SSD with Thunderbolt for on the road editing. www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0095PO9QC/r...44027&pf_rd_i=468294

Looking for something that I can use as a temp editing drive while away with my Macbook Pro.

To me seems a little too cheap to be true!

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by beatleben.

Buffalo MiniStation Thunderbolt anyone used for on the road editing? 19 May 2014 12:58 #46245

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
Some time ago I was looking for the same thing, and found a lot of complaints about Buffalo drives failing a lot. No clue if that has changed or not. But I settled on a Elgato 240GB, bus powered, SSD, T'bolt drive. Not sure about the price difference. But I think that Baffalo is much cheaper. Also consider a USB 3.0 bus powered drive. Good performance, less cost. What video codec to you anticipate editing with?

Buffalo MiniStation Thunderbolt anyone used for on the road editing? 19 May 2014 17:36 #46253

• beatleben
  • beatleben's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the advice That does not sound good about Buffalo drives! Never used them myself.

Well was thinking of using proxies for editing while on away and fast drive for transfers in the future. Maybe edit something on it one day.

Buffalo MiniStation Thunderbolt anyone used for on the road editing? 19 May 2014 18:16 #46257

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
With a T'bolt or USB 3.0, proxies may not be necessary.

Buffalo MiniStation Thunderbolt anyone used for on the road editing? 09 Jun 2014 00:00 #47502

• lotech
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Just a heads up theres a huge variance in Thunderbolt and USB3 enclosures - a lot of drive less enclosures have average SATA chipsets and so do a bit of hunting/reading.

I ended up buying a 256GB SSD Lacie Rugged and then replacing the internal drive with a 1tb SSD - 400MB/s R/W. Interestingly their HDD based model that looks identical and also uses thunderbolt doesn't have the same chipset inside and maxes out at around 200MB/s.

• Page: