fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help developing FCPX plugin from scratch (Hello World plugin source code & Xcode project anywhere?)?

Help developing FCPX plugin from scratch (Hello World plugin source code & Xcode project anywhere?)? 04 Aug 2011 19:36 #717

• karoliinasalmin
  • karoliinasalmin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

I was looking the Apple developer documentation, and I did not find a single code example for creating FCPX plugins (fxplug 2.0). Where could I find a "Hello World" -style plugin which would do the followings?
- Would have Xcode template project with all the necessary stuff to compile the plugin
- read the video frame by frame
- do something simple to the frame, such as reading a pixel and drawing a pixel
- write the frame back to the video

I think this would be all I would need to get started, after this the protocol reference might be useful.

I would like to try to do something simple. All I could find from the developer documentation was a protocol reference, and for a newbie it is a bit huge task to create app from protocol reference alone without getting started from even a short sample code. I think there are people on this forum that have done FCPX plugins, so maybe you could help a noob to get over the initial step? Btw, would it be possible to do the plugins with C++ instead of Objective C? I am very fluent with C++, but not so with Objective C (although I can live with Objective C, if it is completely impossible with C++).

I have never created any FCP plugins before, my software development background is from elsewhere (actually from Linux), but I would like to learn to do plugins for FCPX. Thanks in advance.

Best Wishes,
Karoliina

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Help developing FCPX plugin from scratch (Hello World plugin source code & Xcode project anywhere?)? 04 Aug 2011 21:07 #718

• alex4D
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 249
I've posted the relevant links in the Final Cut Pro X reference material forum.

The only other place you'd find any content on this subject is here.

Alex

Last edit: by alex4D.

Re: Help developing FCPX plugin from scratch (Hello World plugin source code & Xcode project anywhere?)? 04 Aug 2011 21:26 #719

• karoliinasalmin
  • karoliinasalmin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I saw your link to reference. I was looking for source code rather than protocol reference.
However, I found out that I had to install fxplug 2.0 sdk first. Found it and installed from:
connect.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Mem...tware?bundleID=20854

Ok, I was able to create fxplugin with xcode but the problem is that it does not compile.
Comes with 6 warnings and 2 errors. Errors are undefined symbols from linker, warnings (from generated code) is for use of deprecated functions. Not too finished sdk yet?

Last edit: by karoliinasalmin.

Re: Help developing FCPX plugin from scratch (Hello World plugin source code & Xcode project anywhere?)? 04 Aug 2011 21:36 #720

• alex4D
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 249
I think the best place to start is on the Pro Apps Developer list .

I haven't seen any code for FxPlugs anywhere else.

Re: Help developing FCPX plugin from scratch (Hello World plugin source code & Xcode project anywhere?)? 29 Oct 2011 00:02 #1851

• bfredo123
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

I am also very interested in getting a "Hello World" project.

Would you have any link for that?

Many thanks in advance,
Frederic

Re: Help developing FCPX plugin from scratch (Hello World plugin source code & Xcode project anywhere?)? 31 Oct 2011 03:38 #1905

• peteramwiggins
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The Administrator :)
  • Thank you received: 376
Frederic,
Check out the developer site, they have a load of sample code

Peter
Administrator

• Page: