fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fake stop motion over movements of still graphics? 25 Mar 2022 15:46 #119631

• Betancourt
  • Betancourt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi all, I'm trying to mimic the look of stop motion videos while moving objects/graphics/images. I know we have strobe effect that can change fps look but that works over videos. I want to create that effect over the animation path of a still image: ex, a photo coming to the screen from the left and stopping at the center of the scene. In fcpx I could do this manually (time consuming) but in motion I should need to duplicate the object several times and I end with a mess.
Any suggestion appreciated,
Many thanks!

Pablo
Pablo Betancourt

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Fake stop motion over movements of still graphics? 25 Mar 2022 16:55 #119633

• Albo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Stop motion is really hand manipulated objects, puppets etc...
Moving a still image is something else. If you want to create the same feeling it will be a bit difficult.
I think you will need to move the image so that it has a bit of a jitter, even a small one.
It is still more akin to motion graphics.
Imagine moving a still image of a dog (Isle of dogs) It won't get that stop motion feeling.
Maybe if you look at a cut out style it would work better.

Fake stop motion over movements of still graphics? 25 Mar 2022 17:06 #119634

Perhaps you could just animate it without worrying about the stop motion effect, render it out as an image sequence, then delete every other frame, or even every other two frames. Then import back into FCP, drag to the timeline and change the duration on all to a single frame.

Fake stop motion over movements of still graphics? 26 Mar 2022 00:22 #119639

• VTC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 57
Welcome to the world of stop animation. Takes forever to create. Takes 5x forever to mimic.

Do the above. I do this quickly with video by exporting Movie to Image Sequence in QT7. You end up with a folder of images to scatter and time and transform at will.

(May not be exactly what you're looking for but it could give others an avenue to travel.)
Attachments:

Fake stop motion over movements of still graphics? 01 Apr 2022 22:29 #119754

• sc_fox
  • Thank you received: 21
If you haven't found an adequate solution, you can try out SC Stop Motion. You can download it from:
fcpxtemplates.com/downloads/

Please let me know when you have downloaded it.

It has one parameter: Step Size. Just slide the slider until you see the effect you want. The actual effect will be different for each clip based on the length of the clip it is applied to. A value of 0 will play a clip normally. You can ramp the value all the way up to the number of frames in the clip (or more - but that will just be a freeze frame).

You can calculate the number of stills to create by Total Frames/Number of stills and apply that to Step Size... but mostly, you can generally just start sliding until you get the effect you want. If you have a whole bunch of clips that you want all to be timed exactly the same, then I recommend creating a compound clip of them and adding the Stop Motion effect to the compound.

Hope it helps!

• Page: