fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Split-Screen With Animated Map? 17 Feb 2022 16:44 #119070

I'm a hobbyist who enjoys making home movies of our family's travels, and am trying to up my game with FCP and Motion-5.
The effect I'm going for is a split-screen, with driving footage on the bottom, and an animated map on top (see attached photo, or reference youtube video "From the Show Me State to the Land of Lincoln" 7:48 mark).
An initial contact with this video's creator revealed he used Motion5 for the animation, then used a FCP crop effect to create the split screen, but that's all I know.
I was able to create a similar map animation, and I was able to split the screens in FCP by stacking the clips on top of each other, then using the "transform" command to move the animated clip to the top half of the frame, but the problems I can't resolve are....
1) Keeping the animated line in frame as it moves across the map (mine always moves out of frame--even when trying to use Ken Burn Effect to pan within the clip).
2) I can't figure out how he's able to get the clip to follow the animated line for so long (45 sec) with such zoomed in HD detail. My experience so far as that I need to use a zoomed out (not as much detail) map to cover that many miles traveled, and even then I'm only getting about 15 sec worth of clip. Is he seamlessly stitching several zoomed in map clips to make a long 45 sec clip, or is there a function in Motion 5 that makes this possible using one map?
3) Finally, I can't figure out how he fades the two split clips together so well with that blended look. I've got another message out to Robert looking for help but haven't heard back.
I know that's a lot guys, sorry. I'm at the point of giving up on this effect, but it would be such a nice one to create for so many of our videos!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Split-Screen With Animated Map? 08 Apr 2022 01:56 #119868

• sc_fox
  • Thank you received: 21
1) Keeping the animated line in frame:

Assuming you used a line shape (Bezier?) with an arrow head End, you can keyframe the Outline > Last Point Offset to emulate the travel (including speeds).
Assuming you have this line grouped with the map graphic — Name this group "Map-Route" (just to make referencing it easier).

Select Map-Route and type Command-Shift-G to Add another group "layer" and name it MapAnim.
With MapAnim still selected, type Command-Shift-N and name the new group MapMask.

Select MapAnim AND MapMask and type Command-Shift-G to create a New top-level Group. Name the group "Display".

With Display selected, type Command-Shift-N to create a new (parallel) group and name it Tracker.
With Display still selected draw a small rectangle. Doesn't matter the size as long as it is not too large.

To this rectangle, add Behaviors > Basic Motion > Motion Path. To the Path Shape, add your Route line. Set the Speed to Custom and right click on the Custom Speed and select Add Parameter Behavior > Link.
In the Link Source Object, add the same Route line. [Still assuming the Route line is being drawn with keyframes on Last Point Offset]. For the Source Parameter, select Object > Shape > Outline > Last Point Offset.

The Rectangle should follow the tip of the route animation.
Turn off the Rectangle's visibility (checkmark).

This tracking rectangle will be used to "adjust" the Map-Route graphics automatically so that route always remains on-screen.

Select the MapAnim group. Go to Properties Transform and dial down the disclosure triangle. Right click on the X parameter and Add Parameter Behavior > Link. Return to Properties Transform and right click on the Y parameter and Add Parameter Behavior > Link.

In both Links, add the Rectangle from Tracker. For the Position X link, set the Source Parameter to Object Attributes > Edges > Left (or Right). For the Position Y link, set the Source Parameter to Object Attributes > Edges > Top.

If you're wondering, just try finding Properties > Transform > Position parameters — they are not available! That's why you need to cheat a little and use the edges. The smaller the Rectangle, the closer to the center of the Route line end point it will align, but since we're just trying to stay in view, accuracy is a little flexible.

For **both** links, set the Scale to -1.0. That will move the group in the **opposite** direction of the direction of the Last Point position.

Also adjust the Edge Offset values for each to move the Map/Route animation into the view position you want (upper third since you're building in a fade). You can adjust these as needed for your final touches.

Select the MapMask group and draw a Rectangle around the entire canvas. Set the Fill to Opacity and adjust the Opacity values to go from 100% to 0% (you will have to add the right side tab - gradients default to a single opacity control).

The easiest thing to do at this point is go to Properties > Blending and set the Blend Mode to Stencil Alpha.
Edit the gradient Start and End and the Opacity Locations to create the faded edge blend you want.

Here's a demo of description:

2) The length of animation is based on the length of your Motion project and the length of animation of the Last Point Offset keyframing. By default, the project length is generally only about 10 seconds. If you want to change the timing length of your current project, you can click on the small clock icon to the right of the playhead position under the Canvas. That will toggle the current playhead/project length times (so pay attention to which mode you're in). With the project length time showing, you can double click on it and type in the length of time you need. For 45 seconds, you need to type '45.' at a minimum. That's 45 followed by a period (or comma will do). The period is necessary to indicate that you mean 45 seconds AND 0 frames, otherwise the length of your project will become 45 frames long. If you want, you can simply click on the parts of the clock and drag up or down on the number to set the numerical length of the project.

3) answered in recipe above

HTH

Split-Screen With Animated Map? 08 Apr 2022 03:00 #119869

Thank you for the reply sc_fox. So much detail, and the video you attached looks exactly like what I'm looking for. Thank you so much for taking the time to walk through that so in-depth. I'll be following these instructions to get what I'm looking to achieve!

• Page: