fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: change of background of a M5.4 template in fcpx preview window

change of background of a M5.4 template in fcpx preview window 31 Jan 2018 18:47 #93810

• Schnurr
  • Schnurr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Hi,
was searching the forum and google but unfortunately didn't found the answer. When you create own templates and include them in fcpx my templates have as a preview a landscape picture plus preview of the title or effect. I am wondering how I can change the landscape picture to either black, dark grey or an own selected picture as this is done by other templates. Any idea how to achieve that. Thanks
Changing the background color under M5.4 template -> project -> settings doesn't work in my case.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

change of background of a M5.4 template in fcpx preview window 31 Jan 2018 20:20 #93814

• Deyson
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 93
Hi!
If you mean the poster frame thumbnail we see in FCPX's browser, one way I know of is to change the thumbnails we find in the Motion Templates folder. Create your own and replace it in the folder with the same dimensions. I hope that helps. Have an excellent day!

change of background of a M5.4 template in fcpx preview window 01 Feb 2018 04:19 #93824

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 659

Schnurr wrote: …Changing the background color under M5.4 template -> project -> settings doesn't work in my case.

no, that defines first of all the bg in Motion (for example, I prefer a. dark grey as bg while tinkering my stuff) and/or allows a 'solid' bg without an extra layer of a solid generator.

The preview icons in the Effects/Generators/Title Browsers are preset with that less meaningful generic 'landscape' artwork (ok, audio plugins are same UX disaster ) which can easily replaced.

Just goto to your ~/Movies/Motion Templates / Effects folder, open your Custom plugins folder, and you'd see 4 elements:

the plugin itself, a Media folder (if your plugin contains any applied pics, movs, audio - HIGHLY recommended to have a look inside there and cleanup before publishing , I'm finding frequently 'left-overs' from development - and finally small.png and large.png.

Replace those with your own artwork (keep res and format!) => own icon.

… adds homebrewn plugins this pro touch … :woohoo:
Attachments:

Last edit: by Karsten Schlüter.

change of background of a M5.4 template in fcpx preview window 01 Feb 2018 08:35 #93827

• Schnurr
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
thanks for your comments. a very very handy way (Apple come on thats a joke, having to create a screenshot and then convert that 2 times arrrr)

I assume the larger one is for the case when the mouse moves over. Smaller one works but when I move the mouse over again the old landscape appears again. Took over the setting from the large landscape one.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Schnurr.

change of background of a M5.4 template in fcpx preview window 01 Feb 2018 09:18 #93828

• Karsten Schlüter
no joke - not meant to fumble with … that simple.
so, from the start;

This is a plugin (just for you! See attachment) which blurs and adds some text to the clip the Effect will be applied to.
As you see: in the Effects Browser, the effect is demoed to the generic 'clip' placeholder, the landscape…
But when a clip is selected in the timeline, and the mouse hovers over the icon, two things happen:
the icon replaces the generic clip by the real clip, and in Preview the Effect is in effect…

Opened in Finder my plugin (its Folder), created a new icon in Pixelmator, using the correct two diff. res…
Replace the pngs

'Refresh' (close+open) the Effect Browser in FCPX, and the icon has its customized look.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Karsten Schlüter.

change of background of a M5.4 template in fcpx preview window 01 Feb 2018 09:48 #93829

• Schnurr
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
simple maybe if you want to change 1 or 2 but lets say a user wants to change 20-30 then you can understand my comment.
My changes do work with effects templates but currently not with title. Made the changes with the preview App. (size and res)

as you can see for a bunch of 1 sec the changed one is displayed (just t took the one from the effect) but then the landscape appears again.

change of background of a M5.4 template in fcpx preview window 01 Feb 2018 12:37 #93831

• Schnurr
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Ah just see that in some text effects from eg LenoFX (Basic lower thirds) freebie while moving the cursor over the preview the landscape appears as well instead of the small or large preview .
Well I think this is due to the animation in text templates. Strange is then that in other ones this doesn't happen.

change of background of a M5.4 template in fcpx preview window 14 Feb 2018 09:29 #94125

• sc_fox
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
I made these Automator Scripts ("droplets") that will convert any size image to the large.png and the small.png (renames them too).

You can download it here:
fcpxtemplates.com/free_stuff/templateThumbsMakers.zip

Just make sure you are dropping duplicates of the original on the droplet (the image is "consumed" - literally changed from its original size to the thumbnail size and renamed). You can make an instant duplicate of a file in the Finder by selecting it and typing Command-D.

—HTH

change of background of a M5.4 template in fcpx preview window 14 Feb 2018 09:47 #94126

• Karsten Schlüter

sc_fox wrote: I made these Automator Scripts ("droplets") that will convert any size image to the large.png and the small.png …

any size… but doesn't process the ratio…  so, source has to be 4:3
And doesn't change the format = jpg stays jpg, should be png…

And, for beginners: macOS will warn you 'unknown developer', allow to 'Open Anyhow' in the SysPrefs… one can trust fox a 100% …

Sorry F., for just criticizing… ;)

change of background of a M5.4 template in fcpx preview window 14 Feb 2018 18:59 #94141

• sc_fox
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
Idea was to Export Current Frame from a project (or from FCPX) and convert the frame (using PNG). Source should be HD aspect. These droplets were just shortcuts I built for myself, so the UI details were not really a consideration. Besides — I struggle with automator — feel free to make a better script!

As for the unknown developer thing? I apologize for that (although I shouldn't have to) ! A developer's cert to sign these things is $100. I don't do enough code signing to make the purchase worth it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

• Page: