• Page:

TOPIC: OSC as a template in Motion:

OSC as a template in Motion: 06 Apr 2017 15:23 #87010

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Karsten Schlüter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 661
The latest rippletraining tutorial comes with the fun title
Get your Molo Mojo back

Based upon that, I’m demoing here, how to simplify creation of OnScreenControllers.
All you have to do, is, create it once, drag it into your Favourites, and re-use it over and over again.

Based upon that, I’m demoing here, how to simplify creation of OnScreenControllers.
All you have to do, is, create it once, drag it into your Favourites, and re-use it over and over again.

Or, for the really lazy ones:
dl, unzip and install (follow Mark’s advice) my ‘generic OCR template’ (for 1080 res)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Karsten Schlüter.

OCR as a template in Motion: 06 Apr 2017 15:32 #87011

• Deyson
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 97
I am starting to worry about OSC. It is not an official way of doing things and more of a workaround or hack. So my worry is that if filter or code changes in the future will OSC continue to work as intended? Hacks are great, but as I have learned, they are not always future proof.

OCR as a template in Motion: 06 Apr 2017 15:54 #87015

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Karsten Schlüter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 661

Deyson wrote: I am starting to worry about OSC. ….

hmm, 'workaround'? Yes.
But 'hack'? …nah?

out-of-the-box, M5 doesn't offer in its 'box of lego bricks' OSCs. But many filters do. And all this 'workaround' does is, linking to such filter....

So, if in some future MotionX, Apple in its wisdom changes somehow the usage of OSCs, all those (Apple) filters have to be changed … hard to imagine that. And even if so: the linkage is still valid.

And, the other option to create an user-friendly, visual controller? Learning programming and using the plugin-SDK … still looking for a book 'Motion pluginSDK for Dummies' … LOL

No, I hope, some future version of Motion comes with a 'box of GUI', controllers for on-screen, dividers and other eye-candy for the Inspector, switchable overlays, etc etc etc …

OCR as a template in Motion: 06 Apr 2017 16:16 #87016

• Deyson
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 97
That is my dream. Something "official" like a box of GUI. From what I understand the proper way of doing OSC is with objective C programming through the official FxPlug API.

From what I understand Apple has changed, moved and removed filters and features in the past.

I have over 70 templates on my store, so you can understand my hesitation, as one simple change can cause tons of work for me. :)

OCR as a template in Motion: 26 Jun 2020 01:52 #108194

• Alej
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have just started to take a look at OSCs as I found some plugins I have been using fascinating with nice controls exposed in FCPX for easy manipulation...
Agreed with the FxPlug path, that’s the holy grail of unlocking all the underlying power that FCPX/Motion have to offer, including the Metal API... however this is advanced stuff.
Regarding your published OSCs question, if Apple decides one day to get rid of some of the filters/features I think it would not matter? I mean, as it is right now even when using a filter in a project it keeps the old instance, if the controller or effects gets updated it needs to be dragged again on the clip and that effect is pretty much baked, nothing outside would be able to change it barring saving back again the Title/Effect motion file?
I say this because, personally, even if one day I manage to get all the knowledge that be regarding FxPlug, I think I would still create some proxy filters that just expose parameters and widgets of all sorts (but do nothing themselves on images) whose sole purpose is to be dragged on a group and be linked via parameters behaviors to other graphics targets..

• Page: