fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Power Mac G4 dual 1.25 w/FW800 12 Dec 2015 03:46 #71372

• DigiGal
  • DigiGal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Blast from the past here if there is any hope for resurrection. It is an old Media 100 system that was running OS X 10.2 and the Media 100 cards failed.

I had hoped to configure it with FCE4 and use an AJA Io LD for SD SDI. They had lost the system password so I was unable to install OS X 10.4 Tiger. I took the system drive out put it in a FW400 enclosure and erased the disk then formatted it with one partition Apple Partition Map from an Intel iMac Snow Leopard that has been set up with FCE4 and an old deck with Firewire.

It however appears I'm getting a boot kernel panic consistently when trying the drive back in the Quicksilver Tower and the Tiger install DVD in its DVD drive. Sometimes it boots with a flashing question mark but ultimately ends with a gray screen of death prompting to "Hold down power button for several seconds". The Media 100 cards were removed prior to the re-format of the disk and the machine booted into 10.2 fine. It's got 2G of RAM, dual 1.25 G4 procs, new PRAM battery, a SCSI interface card, no other devices connected except keyboard/mouse/monitor. Tried reseating all cards and RAM even tried removing the SCSI card and all but one 512 RAM and still no joy. The machine even acts the same with all drives removed by itself and with the drive connected via FW400. The IDE drive cables look fine but tried a different still no improvement. The machine should be capable of running 10.5 Leopard so 10.4 Tiger shouldn't be a problem for it. It is too bad they lost the password but the machine hadn't been used for several years due to the bum Media 100 cards. It seems to have gone wrong somehow with erasing & formatting the drive while it was in the FW400 enclosure connected to a Snow Leopard machine.

Is there any hope or is it a lost cause, suggestions? It wouldn't be a great loss if it is a complete write off but it could be beneficial for them if it can be up and running.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by DigiGal.

Power Mac G4 dual 1.25 w/FW800 13 Dec 2015 16:42 #71411

• DigiGal
bumpity, bump.

Power Mac G4 dual 1.25 w/FW800 13 Dec 2015 17:40 #71412

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
I don't remember how things worked that far back... sorry...

But sounds like a bad OS install. You should boot from the install DVD, and run a clean install on the system drive while installed internally in the Mac.

Power Mac G4 dual 1.25 w/FW800 13 Dec 2015 17:50 #71413

• DigiGal
^ That's what I am trying to do, the drive was wiped and re-formatted/apple partition map in the other machine then re-installed in the Quicksilver G4 and I'm booting up the G4 with a Tiger OS X DVD in the drive. I'm hoping there's something I'm just overlooking but it is not going as I would have expected from previous experience. I've never encountered a kernel panic before, lucky I guess but I've no idea how to overcome this roadblock at this point.

Power Mac G4 dual 1.25 w/FW800 13 Dec 2015 20:53 #71415

• DaveF
  • Thank you received: 3
Boot from the DVD holding the C key, when it's booted use the installer menu option > Disk Utility, re-partion and format in the Mac G4 then try again.

Power Mac G4 dual 1.25 w/FW800 13 Dec 2015 21:54 #71416

You could try removing the air port card, installing the operating system, installing the air port drivers, and then reinstalling the air port card.

We installed an airport card in a FW800 G4 tower and it would kernel panic when turned on until we removed the airport card, installed the airport drivers, and reinstalled the airport card.

Hope this helps,
-Mark

Power Mac G4 dual 1.25 w/FW800 16 Dec 2015 23:50 #71555

• DigiGal
Thanks for the suggestions but I've found out that what is happening is the GSOD message is ultimately saying "the machine drivers are missing" so "we're halting here". The reason being; is the OS X 10.4 Install disk(s) on hand are from an old Intel iMac and don't contain the needed drivers.

Bottom line without full retail install disk(s) for OS X 10.4 or 10.5 it looks like this project is halted. I've asked them to look for the 10.2 install disk(s) that would have come with the system. If they've got them then it can be set up with 10.2 and FCE4 or maybe if real lucky will allow a clean install of 10.2 (bypassing the lost password) with an upgrade to 10.4 from the Intel iMac Tiger Install disk which would in turn allow the full update to be installed for 10.4.11

Power Mac G4 dual 1.25 w/FW800 17 Dec 2015 05:40 #71557

• DaveF
  • Thank you received: 3
Try eBay - there's genuine full retail 10.4 install disks from $10 on there ATM.

Power Mac G4 dual 1.25 w/FW800 21 Dec 2015 22:38 #71672

• DigiGal
Thanks, I found a full retail Tiger DVD on eBay and donated it to them for the cause along with the old AJA Io LD and FCE4. Now at least they'll be able to use the machine as an NLE even if it no longer Media 100.

• Page: