fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lost all original media, how to substitute them with proxy media from backup? 27 Nov 2022 11:39 #123083

I'm on a deadly deadline for a screening on friday and my hard drive with all my original material is completely gone. Now I'm stuck with a FCPX library and project file with proxy media.

I want to export all the generated proxy media + the audio contained within the project file and relink them as the original media. So I can move them and share them around for sound and coloring.

I'm planning to use AI Video Enhancing software to better the footage quality. But I can't do any of that without extracting the proxy files first.

Is there a way to do that as quickly as possible?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Lost all original media, how to substitute them with proxy media from backup? 28 Nov 2022 02:45 #123087

• DaveM
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 105
You could select your Library in the sidebar and look at the storage locations in the inspector. If you used a location outside of the Library to store optimized and proxy media, look there. Otherwise, you'll have to dig through the Library package file.

Lost all original media, how to substitute them with proxy media from backup? 28 Nov 2022 18:11 #123096

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 587

I'm on a deadly deadline for a screening on friday and my hard drive with all my original material is completely gone. Now I'm stuck with a FCPX library and project file with proxy media.

I want to export all the generated proxy media + the audio contained within the project file and relink them as the original media. So I can move them and share them around for sound and coloring...

Sorry to hear this; if you work long enough in video production something like this will happen to everyone.

While there are various ways to export the clips, they may not relink if after re-encoding in another app such as an AI upscaler. Due to the deadline, one approach might be to simply export the timeline in proxy resolution and (if the colorist is using Resolve) let them use Resolve's built-in auto scene cut detection to re-cut the clips for grading. If the originals are 4k and if you used 50% proxies that is 1080p which isn't that bad.

You could try running the AI upscaler on the entire exported timeline before sending to color, but those are normally not designed for multiple scenes.

Alternatively you could export the individual clip ranges used in the timeline, run the AI upscaler on each clip, then manually do edit/replace of each clip in the existing timeline. Then you'd have an FCP timeline composed of upscaled clips which could be sent to color. That could be exported as a full timeline and recut in Resolve or you could try the XML workflow mentioned below. To export the used timeline clip ranges, open the project, create a smart collection for used media, select all clips in the Even Browser with CMD+A then batch export them.

For audio, one procedure is segregate the audio lanes using FCP roles, e.g, dialog, music, sound Fx, etc, then export separate .wav files, each the length of the timeline. The people doing color and sound would have to understand they cannot trim or shorten the length else it won't stay in sync.

The workflow for FCP to Resolve and Resolve to FCP is discussed in this article and various other places: www.premiumbeat.com/blog/how-to-migrate-...diting-applications/

• Page: