fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Neat Video 5.5. Still worth it? 23 Nov 2022 21:41 #123029

• Smesh
  • Smesh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I have Neat Video 4 which is outdated and on simple projects usually just use FCPX NR (although in the past it's been quite slow and not quite as effective as Neat Video). For larger projects I do an XML round trip to Resolve and do my color and NR there.

Is Neat Video still relevant for FCPX compared to the native NR or has it improved enough to replace Neat Video? I don't really want to pay $70 to upgrade for the few times I use it, but if it's indeed better and faster I will do so for the convenience.

Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Neat Video 5.5. Still worth it? 23 Nov 2022 22:41 #123031

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 579
Neat Video 5.5 has greatly improved performance over version 4.x. and works especially well on M1 Max and M1 Ultra machines. However Resolve temporal/spatial NR is also very good, just not as adjustable. I normally use Neat Video within FCP unless I'm already editing a project in Resolve.

Neat Video has some good tutorials here: www.youtube.com/@NeatClips

Neat Video 5.5. Still worth it? 23 Nov 2022 23:07 #123032

• Smesh
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
That was my workflow as well. I used Neat when in FCPX (if needed) but when Neat 4 stopped working I switched to FCPX NR. When I *did* use Neat, I mainly used in automatic mode anyway. Since I only use FCPX for cutting, audio and sometimes titles, and do all my color in resolve for important projects, I've been too cheap to pay the additional fees and THEY have ben too cheap to run any sales, otherwise I would buy it again just for convenience. ;)

Neat Video 5.5. Still worth it? 24 Nov 2022 14:47 #123038

Not a Resolve user, so I can't compare it well. I did get Neat Video about a year back, and I've been very impressed with the results. I have RAW video from my camera, and the de-noise is super important as the RAW bypasses internal noise filters of the camera. Neat Video decimates it.

I have had some issues with the filter crashing FCPX. But the workflow I use now is, edit my video, get everything ready, enable/add Neat video to the clips I need, move directly to export. This has no issues. Adding Neat to a clip and editing with it enabled (with scrubbing and such) has led to occasional crashes. So just a heads up.

Neat Video 5.5. Still worth it? 25 Nov 2022 04:40 #123051

• Smesh
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Not a Resolve user, so I can't compare it well. I did get Neat Video about a year back, and I've been very impressed with the results. I have RAW video from my camera, and the de-noise is super important as the RAW bypasses internal noise filters of the camera. Neat Video decimates it.

I have had some issues with the filter crashing FCPX. But the workflow I use now is, edit my video, get everything ready, enable/add Neat video to the clips I need, move directly to export. This has no issues. Adding Neat to a clip and editing with it enabled (with scrubbing and such) has led to occasional crashes. So just a heads up.

Thanks. Yeah I used Neat Video for years. Now I use resolve to color so not much.

One thing I learned from resolve that also applies FCPX. Do your noise reduction last, but place it first in the directory. That way the NR is done before anything else. Sharpen is last. I never knew that before I started using Resolve and it makes a huge difference. Don't mess with Neat or any other NR until the very end. You can apply it early, but keep it turned off until you're done grading or everything slows down.

• Page: