fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Your back up system 25 Jun 2022 10:01 #121076

I lost a project today (timeline 0000), Its not in a clip. My question is bigger than that. So FCP crashes, date (project) lost, set to 0000. Searched FCP backups, all 0000. I use Backblaze, restored the library and its worse, not assets at all. In my project I can still see the yellow segments saying they are in use. But there is no project.

Here is my question. If all my back ups did not work, I can I use FCP in bigger projects. Till now I have only done face to camera, limited edit stuff. But now I am editing heavy and I am seriously put off by. this data loss and all backups empty. How do you insure you data is safe? I attached to library views so you can see there are no "clips". I don't wanna switch to adobe but I don't feel I can rely on FCp? This would be an absolute night mare if it was one of my other projects with 2-4 days worth of editing. Pleae help, I'm gutted to find this out. Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Your back up system 26 Jun 2022 17:30 #121086

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 542
I've used Premiere, Resolve and FCP on large projects. In general FCP is very reliable regarding data integrity. Fcp.co just had an article on "Watchtower of China" which used 300 TB and 24,000 clips, all handled by FCP: fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/2597-watch...ted-in-final-cut-pro

I've edited documentaries in FCP which contained 150 multicam interviews and 220 camera hours of material. It worked generally OK. I've had FCP crash many times over the years but mostly have never lost a significant number of edits. Internally FCP uses the SQLite database which has transactional integrity. It tends to be reliable.

However there is no guarantee of this. You can have failures from the MacOS file system, the database, the hard drive (inc'l SSDs), hard drive firmware, etc. I just used the commercial tool DiskTestTr to do a write-intensive stress test on a 4TB APFS Sandisk Extreme Portable V2 SSD, the drive malfunctioned and required reformatting: diglloydtools.com/disktester.html But I have about 10 of those drives and still use them.

All NLEs can crash and all NLEs can corrupt data. Not long ago I had Resolve's "media management" feature severely and repeatedly corrupt data, although that seems fixed in the latest version. The original version of that feature had a "move" option that was so unreliable they finally removed it from the product.

My normal backup procedure on FCP includes:

- Use the built-in MacOS Time Machine feature, which can make multiple incremental backups of the library. That can provide many incremental file-based backups, not just a single one to roll back to. I also use Time Machine to back up the FCP auto backups, so they are on another drive in case the main drive fails.

- Make periodic XML exports of the project and library. This is easy and quick. You save each one, thus providing another series of incremental project backups in a different format.

- Use a "lean library" approach with all media and cache external. This allows easy periodic duplication of the library using Finder. You just right-click on the library and pick "duplicate" (while FCP is shut down).

- Media is backed up via on site and off site physical storage.

Most UNIX-heritage file systems do not have mandatory file locking, only advisory locking. That means if you back up or copy a database file such as the FCP library, it may be in an inconsistent state. So if I duplicate a library using Finder or want to be certain Time Machine has a good backup of the library, I shut down FCP. The FCP auto-backup libraries are closed and should be internally consistent after FCP makes them.

Reliability of FCP media and libraries seems better if using only locally-connected drives formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled or APFS. If using an ExFAT or network drive there might be less certainty.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: