fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Constant Spinning ball on FCP 10.6.3 21 Jun 2022 19:09 #120971

Hello everyone,

I recently upgraded to a Macbook Pro M1 Max and even though it's been incredible, I have found a very bizarre behaviour with FCP 10.6.3 on MacOS 12.4

I am working on a relatively simple project with Sony A7Siii 10bit footage and FCP locks up all the time with spinning ball, sometimes it even crashes while trying to move footage around the timeline.

The same exact project runs super smoothly on an i9 Macbook Pro (even though it struggles to play the 10bit footage in realtime without proxies.

No plugins are used at all which as me scratching my head as this machine should be able to play this project just fine without any sweating.

Any ideas on what's going on and does anyone of you get similar behaviour with the M1 Max machines?

Many thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Constant Spinning ball on FCP 10.6.3 21 Jun 2022 19:23 #120972

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 521

Hello everyone,

I recently upgraded to a Macbook Pro M1 Max and even though it's been incredible...relatively simple project with Sony A7Siii 10bit footage and FCP locks up all the time with spinning ball, sometimes it even crashes while trying to move footage around the timeline.... same exact project runs super smoothly on an i9 Macbook Pro...No plugins are used at all...

I have two A7SIII cameras, an i9 MacBook Pro, an M1 Max and M1 Ultra. I've edited a lot of material from that camera, typically 10-bit 4:2:2 XAVC-S and so far I haven't seen a major problem on the M1 machines.

That said, I have seen some issues with certain external SSD drives, apparently unique to Apple Silicon. Is all your material on an internal drive? If not can you specify where the library and media are, what type of drive and connection? Can you run Blackmagic Disk Speed Test on each drive to verify the I/O bandwidth?

How much free disk space is available on each drive?

Suggest you reset FCP preferences, that often solves problems. The procedure is item 11 on this page: support.apple.com/en-us/HT203477

Constant Spinning ball on FCP 10.6.3 21 Jun 2022 19:27 #120973

Hello everyone,

I recently upgraded to a Macbook Pro M1 Max and even though it's been incredible...relatively simple project with Sony A7Siii 10bit footage and FCP locks up all the time with spinning ball, sometimes it even crashes while trying to move footage around the timeline.... same exact project runs super smoothly on an i9 Macbook Pro...No plugins are used at all...

I have two A7SIII cameras, an i9 MacBook Pro, an M1 Max and M1 Ultra. I've edited a lot of material from that camera, typically 10-bit 4:2:2 XAVC-S and so far I haven't seen a major problem on the M1 machines.

That said, I have seen some issues with certain external SSD drives, apparently unique to Apple Silicon. Is all your material on an internal drive? If not can you specify where the library and media are, what type of drive and connection? Can you run Blackmagic Disk Speed Test on each drive to verify the I/O bandwidth?

How much free disk space is available on each drive?

Suggest you reset FCP preferences, that often solves problems. The procedure is item 11 on this page: support.apple.com/en-us/HT203477

Thanks so much for this,

I am using a pretty standard Samsung T5 SSD. Blackmagic Speedtest doesn't give me anything out of the ordinary. Around 400mb/s both read and write. SSD is half-emty too.

Any particular SSDs that are reported to have issues?

I'll try trashing the preferences too (even though this was a vanilla install)- is there an easy way to do this without losing my key commands and redoing all my preferences from scratch?

Many thanks!

Last edit: by Domscillator.

Constant Spinning ball on FCP 10.6.3 21 Jun 2022 19:59 #120977

• DaveM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 35
Deleting your preferences as joema suggested won't affect your custom keyboard settings, etc.

If you want to back up your custom keyboard command sets, workspaces, etc., you can back up this folder:

/Users/your_username/Library/Application Support/Final Cut Pro/

To recall your FCP preferences, simply take a screenshot for each tab in the FCP preferences window. Should take less than a minute to reconfigure things after deleting preferences...

Cheers.

Last edit: by DaveM.

Constant Spinning ball on FCP 10.6.3 21 Jun 2022 20:11 #120979

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

...is there an easy way to do this without losing my key commands and redoing all my preferences from scratch?..

You can export your custom keyboard commands by using Final Cut Pro>Commands>Export, which writes them to a file with the file extension .commandset. Then after resetting preferences (if needed) you can use Final Cut Pro>Commands>Import and point to that file to reload your custom commands.

There are a few config items not stored in preferences such as Browser>Continuous Playback, View>Clip Skimming, Browser>Used Media Ranges, etc. Just take note of those and manually restore them.

Once you have reset FCP preferences a few times, this process becomes like muscle memory :)

Constant Spinning ball on FCP 10.6.3 23 Jun 2022 16:38 #121042

Quick update- I trashed the preferences and now Final Cut Pro just crashes on playback with a crash report message.
So it wasn't the preferences in the end.

Constant Spinning ball on FCP 10.6.3 24 Jun 2022 10:39 #121054

Please post an EtreCheck report etrecheck.com giving the application Full Disk Access in Privacy System Preferences. Copy the report and paste it in your reply.

EtreCheck is a diagnostic tool that’s useful to look for system issues.

Constant Spinning ball on FCP 10.6.3 24 Jun 2022 13:19 #121056

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Quick update- I trashed the preferences and now Final Cut Pro just crashes on playback with a crash report message. So it wasn't the preferences in the end.

Run the console utility (in Applications>Utilities), in the left sidebar click on Crash Reports, look for an FCP crash report, copy/paste all the text to a .txt file in TextEdit, do not post that in line but attach it as a file to a post.

If there are no FCP crash reports there, the next time it crashes and raises the crash dialog, copy/paste all that text to a .txt file. Save each FCP crash report as a separate file to have a record of the problem for later examination.

Edit/add: if it does not actually crash but just hangs, run Activity Monitor, select the FCP process do View>Run Spindump, save that as a file, in Finder right-click and compress that to a .zip file, post as an attachment. The next three times it hangs save those as .txt files for comparison.

Last edit: by joema.

Constant Spinning ball on FCP 10.6.3 25 Jun 2022 15:15 #121081

Quick update- I trashed the preferences and now Final Cut Pro just crashes on playback with a crash report message. So it wasn't the preferences in the end.

Run the console utility (in Applications>Utilities), in the left sidebar click on Crash Reports, look for an FCP crash report, copy/paste all the text to a .txt file in TextEdit, do not post that in line but attach it as a file to a post.

If there are no FCP crash reports there, the next time it crashes and raises the crash dialog, copy/paste all that text to a .txt file. Save each FCP crash report as a separate file to have a record of the problem for later examination.

Edit/add: if it does not actually crash but just hangs, run Activity Monitor, select the FCP process do View>Run Spindump, save that as a file, in Finder right-click and compress that to a .zip file, post as an attachment. The next three times it hangs save those as .txt files for comparison.

Thanks so much joema!

here you go ( I hope it's the right one - I had quite a few of those)
Attachments:

Constant Spinning ball on FCP 10.6.3 25 Jun 2022 16:42 #121082

• DaveM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 35
Would you mind going back into Console, select Crash Reports in the sidebar, then choose one of your FCP reports and right-click and choose "reveal in Finder"? It should take you to the folder containing all of your crash report files. They should end in ".ips". You could zip the FCP report files and upload those here, if you don't mind.

(By copying and pasting as you did, all of the formatting characters/code is included with the report, making it difficult to read.)

Also, I'd second Tom's suggestion to download and run EtreCheckPro. When you run it, make sure the "full disk access" box is checked (you may need to add the application to Full Disk Access in the Privacy and Security System Preference pane). You can select "applications crashing" from the pop-up menu in the EtreCheckPro window before clicking "Start". EtreCheckPro gives you a lot of info, some of which may clearly point to your issue (and you don't need to be a computer engineer to read and understand most of the report info). You can choose File -> Save to save a copy of the EtreCheckPro report and then upload it here.

As an initial wild guess, I wonder if you could check to see how much drive space you have available, or have used, and the capacity for all of your drives. This would include your internal drive, as well as what appears to be a Samsung T5 SSD (from looking at what you uploaded). One possible explanation for your issues with FCP is not having adequate free drive space. Thanks.

Update:

I copy and pasted your crash report file contents into Digital Rebellion's Crash Analyzer application. The analysis suggests that you may have a duplicate or corrupt font that is causing the issue (as one potential source of your issue).

Here are some suggested actions:
  • - Use Font Book's Resolve Duplicates and Validate Font functions to determine the problematic font, then remove it.
  • - Clear your application font cache (there are many tools that can help with this).
  • - Clear your system font cache.
Let us know how things work out (and feel free to upload the reports as mentioned above).

P.S. - Perhaps the safest way to remove all font caches is to start your Mac in "Safe Mode" (holding the Shift key right after powering on, or right after the startup chime, and continuing to hold Shift until you see "Safe Mode" on-screen). Go ahead and log in, but then restart your Mac before you start doing anything, so that the Mac starts up normally (with all system add-ons and extensions enabled, i.e., "normally"). I'd suggest running the functions in Font Book first (and clear your caches with this method even if Font Book doesn't find any issues).

P.P.S. - One of the reasons Apple and others suggest deleting and re-downloading/re-installing FCP is because several fonts are included in the application bundle itself. The font troubleshooting instructions apply to system- and user-installed fonts. Font Book can't detect (or even show) a bad font that's in an application bundle. So, if there is a bad/corrupt font in the FCP application bundle, the only way to resolve it would be to delete and FCP and re-download and re-install it.

Last edit: by DaveM.

Constant Spinning ball on FCP 10.6.3 25 Jun 2022 23:59 #121083

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Besides everything DaveM said (which is great advice), next time FCP crashes and raises the crash dialog, copy/paste that to TextEdit, with TextEdit configured for plain text. You do that in TextEdit with menu Format>Make Plain Text. Then save it as a .txt file. It should be in a readable format, see example of translated FCP crash attached. The crash dialog displays a *translated* format which is human readable.

For some reason my recent FCP crashes are not saved as .ips files or anything else I can find using Console. However I can still copy/paste from the crash dialog to a plain text file using TextEdit.
Attachments:

Constant Spinning ball on FCP 10.6.3 29 Jun 2022 12:54 #121102

• TGC
  • Commercials, music video & film editor at Trim
  • Thank you received: 8
We have this exact problem showing up on multiple M1 Max machines where I work (MacBook Pros and Mac Studio).

It's happening to different editors all working on totally different jobs. Some with media on the internal SSD (even with 8TB SSD), some on Samsung T7's. All media is ProRes 1080p.

It's seems to be worse with multiple displays and to happen randomly. Goes from being usable to totally unusable, even on a simple string out of rushes.

The only common factors seems to be M1 Max (haven't had reports of it happening on M1 Pro yet).

Constant Spinning ball on FCP 10.6.3 29 Jun 2022 14:48 #121103

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

We have this exact problem showing up on multiple M1 Max machines where I work (MacBook Pros and Mac Studio)...

Thomas, if you can send me the crash dump or spin dump files I will examine them. If FCP actually crashes and raises the crash dialog, please copy/paste that to a plain text (not rich text) file using TextEdit. If possible edit the top of that .txt file to add any known actions immediately preceding the crash. Also the media/codec type being edited. If you have the RED workflow package installed, indicate that. Also if any outboard video hardware is used.

If you could send 2-3 of them that would help me determine if there is any commonality.

If it is an FCP hang, please take a spindump of the FCP process. Select it in Activity Monitor in the CPU tab, then View>Run Spindump. You can zip those and put them on my private file transfer site: www.transferbigfiles.com/dropbox/joema

My documentary team has several M1 Ultras and M1 Max MBP 16s, but so far we haven't seen many crashes. I just edited a lot of Sony FX6 XAVC-I and RED V-Raptor R3D material and that worked OK. Most of us don't run multiple monitors but a few do and they haven't reported it so far.

Constant Spinning ball on FCP 10.6.3 30 Jun 2022 07:31 #121109

• TGC
Thanks. I’ll gather some of this and let you know when I have a bunch.

Constant Spinning ball on FCP 10.6.3 30 Jun 2022 10:38 #121112

Hi guys, thanks so much for the help, I am going to try things as soon as I find the time.

One thing I noticed though that might give you an indication:

I found out that this behaviour with the spinning wheel in my case happens for the first 5 minutes when I load a project. After a while things get back to normal- it feels like there's a background task happening somehow (I have disabled rendering in the background of course).

It still doesn't explain why it doesn't happen on my i9 MBP but only on the M1 Max one but this is the pattern I've noticed.

Constant Spinning ball on FCP 10.6.3 30 Jun 2022 10:47 #121113

• TGC
Just to be clear, do you mean within 5 mins of loading a new Sequence (Project). Or within 5 mins of loading up a library?

Constant Spinning ball on FCP 10.6.3 30 Jun 2022 16:48 #121138

Just to be clear, do you mean within 5 mins of loading a new Sequence (Project). Or within 5 mins of loading up a library?

A project :) Sometimes it takes over 5 min for things to get back to normal though .

Constant Spinning ball on FCP 10.6.3 30 Jun 2022 22:36 #121149

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

...I found out that this behaviour with the spinning wheel in my case happens for the first 5 minutes when I load a project. After a while things get back to normal- it feels like there's a background task happening somehow (I have disabled rendering in the background of course)....It still doesn't explain why it doesn't happen on my i9 MBP but only on the M1 Max one but this is the pattern I've noticed.

As a test can you move the project & media or a subset of that to your internal drive and try that? First make sure that subset still manifests the problem on the T5 external drive, then move it to internal, eject and unplug the drive then reboot the machine and try it. I've seen numerous issues whereby certain SSDs cause problems only on M1 Ultra or M1 Max. I have lots of T5s and haven't seen that but it makes sense to try it. As always use only the short, thick OEM USB-C cable, do not use a hub if debugging a problem.

If it is sluggish and shows intermittent beach balls the 1st 5 min, examine in Activity Monitor's CPU/Memory and Disk tabs what is happening then. What are the top CPU consumers? Do those processes change after 5 min is over? In some cases the Spotlight index processes can run haywire and consume CPU for several minutes. To rebuild the Spotlight indexes, use this procedure: support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

Even though you have background rendering disabled, it may still be trying to process some analysis files or optical flow effect. Unfortunately deleting render files will not delete those. You have three options:

1 - Relocate the cache files (which in this case will include analysis and render files) to a designated folder. That's done with FCP Library Inspector, Storage Locations>Modify Settings>Cache, and give it a folder on the internal drive. It then asks whether to relocate the cache, you say yes. The resultant bundle file in your designated folder can subsequently be safely deleted using Finder. That will safely delete render cache, analysis files, optical flow files, waveforms and thumbnails.

2- Use the 3rd party utility Final Cut Library Manager. It lets you safely delete all those, plus has many other features: www.arcticwhiteness.com/finalcutlibrarymanager/

3 - Open the library bundle by right-clicking with Finder>Show Package Contents, go into the event folder and delete the folders Analysis Files and Render Files. It should be safe but only do this if you feel comfortable and have good backups.

Constant Spinning ball on FCP 10.6.3 01 Jul 2022 17:30 #121161

• TGC
I’ve now been told by 2 editors that disconnecting external displays totally fixes the issue. And the beach balling returns the second they reconnect.

This is with LG 5K and Studio display. Issue even happens when no other peripherals are connected. So feels like some kind of display/GPU issue. (Still waiting for editors to send me spin dumps)

Will get and pin down the issue further and document.

Constant Spinning ball on FCP 10.6.3 01 Jul 2022 18:41 #121164

I’ve now been told by 2 editors that disconnecting external displays totally fixes the issue. And the beach balling returns the second they reconnect.

This is with LG 5K and Studio display. Issue even happens when no other peripherals are connected. So feels like some kind of display/GPU issue. (Still waiting for editors to send me spin dumps)

Will get and pin down the issue further and document.

Thank you for the updated!
FWIW, in my case, I have no external monitors connected.

• Page: