fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lengthen/Shorten Clips (when transition already exists)? 18 May 2022 16:28 #120603

I use FCP extensively every day.
How can you lengthen/shorten a clip after a transition has been place on it? I know that you can "change duration", but I have 50+ clips for every project and am constantly adjusting clip length.

I have created template backgrounds/titles, etc complete with transitions installed. When copy and paste them I have to delete the ending transition, adjust length, and re-install the transition. I want to just change the length of the clip without having to "cut and paste" the transition for every single clip. Help!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Lengthen/Shorten Clips (when transition already exists)? 18 May 2022 17:19 #120604

• DaveM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 32
If you zoom in enough, you should be able to hover the cursor over the edit points of the clips with transition applied (with the Select tool active). You need to stay near the top of the clip (over the gray transition area). The cursor changes from the pointer to an edit icon with a little film strip. If you hover lower in the transition region, it will just show an edit icon, which will only affect the transition. Subtle but easy once you figure it out.

Cheers.

Last edit: by DaveM.

Lengthen/Shorten Clips (when transition already exists)? 18 May 2022 17:26 #120605

Wow, how had I not seen that all this time! Thank you.

Lengthen/Shorten Clips (when transition already exists)? 18 May 2022 18:11 #120607

Assuming your transition is at the tail of the clip:
- Select the transition
- Nudge it in whichever direction you need using the comma / period keys

Or, simply drag the transition to the spot you want it. If that aligns with the clip below, enabling Snapping will speed up this process.

Last edit: by dmetz.
  • Page: