fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Final Cut Pro not recognizing Sony Camera 03 Aug 2021 15:39 #115627

I just got a new MacBook Pro and installed the FCP "Pro Video Formats 2.0.4", but when I connect the camera via usb, it loads the import drive for about 5 seconds and then disappears. Same camera imports fine on my old mac, has anyone had similar issues? Big Sur maybe, anything on newer Macs I am overlooking? Thank you in advance!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Final Cut Pro not recognizing Sony Camera 03 Aug 2021 17:21 #115630

Which MBP is this? Exactly how is the camera connected to the computer? What camera is this and what format did you shoot?

Final Cut Pro not recognizing Sony Camera 03 Aug 2021 17:26 #115631

Mac is a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), I shot the video at XAVC S 4K at 2160/30p 60mbps. The camera is a HXR-NX80. Oddly, it loads fine on my older macs and transfers fine. Guessing it is a laptop port issue. I also tried using the Catalyst Browse app, no luck either. Thanks

Final Cut Pro not recognizing Sony Camera 03 Aug 2021 17:34 #115632

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 456

I just got a new MacBook Pro and installed the FCP "Pro Video Formats 2.0.4", but when I connect the camera via usb, it loads the import drive for about 5 seconds and then disappears. Same camera imports fine on my old mac, has anyone had similar issues? Big Sur maybe, anything on newer Macs I am overlooking? Thank you in advance!

I just connected my Sony A7SIII to my iMac Pro running Big Sur 11.5.1 and also to my 2017 iMac 27 running Catalina 10.15.7 and both machines mounted the camera as a USB storage device and I could download files. However on the A7RIII I had to use the camera menus to select USB mass storage mode -- without that it would not connect. The A7SIII apparently auto-detected the right mode.

I used a short, high-quality USB-C-to-USB-C cable. Sony cameras may be finicky about cable type.

As a side point, the Sony firmware update utility won't work without a kernel-mode driver, which is increasingly problematic since those have been deprecated since 2019 and Big Sur by default doesn't load them:

developer.apple.com/support/kernel-extensions/ 

I think starting in Catalina that Pro Video Formats were absorbed into the MacOS install sequence, so you update those in System Preferences>Software Update, not by running a download package. But Pro Video Formats support decode and encode of certain codecs. They are not for USB transfer. Mounting the camera as a USB storage device should work regardless of whether FCP or Pro Video Formats is installed.

Last edit: by joema.

Final Cut Pro not recognizing Sony Camera 03 Aug 2021 17:43 #115633

I don't usually connect camera via USB, I plug SD card to a reader, but FCPX has problem with recognizing "Untitled" SD card (card formatted in the camera). Just rename the card and it should work ;)

• Page: