fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Multicam Clip Problem... 26 Jul 2021 14:30 #115530

• DavisS
  • DavisS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1

Update:
It seems that I wasn't thinking clearly, after 18 hrs. straight working.

Anyway, when I choose "Favorites" from the Browser filter pop-up menu (or choose a keyword or Smart Collection from the Event), several instances of the MC clip appear in the listing (one instance per Favorite of the MC clip).

For each instance listed, the duration appears correct, so you might think that you just select all instances and type "e" to add every instance to the Project timeline. Nope. Adding one or more instance of the MC clip listed will add the entire MC clip to the timeline the same number of times as the number of instances selected.

The solution is to open the disclosure triangle for each instance of the MC clip listed (select all instances you want and then type the right arrow key) and then manually select each Favorite range, then add to the timeline.

Hope this helps someone...

Cheers!

I have created a multicam clip for an interview. Everything syncs fine, plays back, and I can edit the MC clip in a Project timeline to switch angles, etc. (all as expected).

I have marked various parts of the MC clip (in the Browser) with keyword ranges and different ratings (Favorites, Rejected). Almost the entire MC clip in the Browser has keywords assigned to it. In parts of the MC clip that were Favorite-d, I also created a keyword range.

The problem I'm having is when I try to select portions of the MC clip to edit into a timeline. If I have the MC clip selected in the Browser and then choose the Favorites filter, then edit things into the timeline, the entire duration of the MC clip appears in the timeline.

Alternatively, if I selected a particular keyword in the Event to filter what's shown in the Browser (with the MC clip selected), I then see many instances of the MC clip listed. Editing any of those instances into a timeline results in a clip in the timeline of the total duration of the original MC clip.

I must be missing something. I am approaching the MC clip as I would any regular clip in the Browser... Any thoughts?

Thanks for any assistance or guidance!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by DavisS.

Multicam Clip Problem... 27 Jul 2021 03:41 #115542

Just tested here and can't replicate your problem. Are you sure you selected a new range after you switched to Favourites only view?

Multicam Clip Problem... 27 Jul 2021 13:15 #115549

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 456

Just tested here and can't replicate your problem. Are you sure you selected a new range after you switched to Favourites only view?

I normally don't see a problem, although there is apparently a bug (see below for details). Note he is in list mode, but whether the browser is in filmstrip mode or list mode, after filtering on favorites you must re-select those (ie use CMD+A) before adding to the timeline.

In list mode you can filter on favorites, then do CMD+A, then press "e" to add only the favorited multi-cam ranges to the timeline. It should not be necessary to twirl down and expose each favorited range in list mode before doing that.

However -- there is apparently a bug whereby the described problem can happen under specific conditions -- only in list view, not filmstrip view. In list view if you filter on favorite ranges of an MC clip, then select those with CMD+A, then hover your skimmer over the filmstrip, then add the selected, filtered ranges to the timeline with "e", it *may* instead add the full unfiltered MC clip.

It is apparently state-related and doesn't do it every time. Above is the simple case. You can make it happen every time by: filtering on the MC clips in list view, select with CMD+A, select the filmstrip, de-select the filmstrip with OPT+X, then re-select the favorites with CMD+A, then hover skimmer over the filmstrip and add the selected favorite ranges to timeline with "e". It will instead add the entire MC clip.

Once you do that, the program state changes and it will do it every time using the simple method. However it does not happen if you just select the filtered favorite ranges with CMD+A, then click "e", and keep the skimmer away from the filmstrip.

I will test some other FCP versions to see if it's a recent problem or has always been like this, then I'll report it to Apple.

Multicam Clip Problem... 28 Jul 2021 02:35 #115556

• DavisS
  • DavisS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
joema wrote:

In list mode you can filter on favorites, then do CMD+A, then press "e" to add only the favorited multi-cam ranges to the timeline. It should
not be necessary to twirl down and expose each favorited range in list
mode before doing that

Thanks for your thorough response. I thought I was going crazy, somehow forgetting things I thought were pretty straightforward about FCP. I'm amazed that you took the time to read my post and seemed to understand what I wrote... Bravo to you!

So, I can confirm that if I select the Favorites filter, I see all instances of the MC clip name listed, corresponding to the number of Favorites for the MC clip. If I now change the view to filmstrip mode, select all, then "e", everything works as expected (the favorite ranges of the MC clip are added to the timeline).

Switching back to list view mode and selecting one or more instances of the MC clip and adding it/them to the timeline results in the entire MC clip being added as many times as the number of instances selected.

(In both cases above, filmstrip mode then list mode, I didn't move my cursor over the filmstrip, in case it matters.)

I'm glad the workaround is easy. I'm under some time pressure, so I doubt if I'll experiment any more with this, for now...

Again, I am very grateful for the time you spent to help me.

Cheers.

Last edit: by DavisS.
  • Page: