fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

On Export, Out of Application Memory - FCP 10.2.1, El Capitan 10.11.16 12 Jun 2021 21:24 #114971

Hello,
Long-time reader, first-time poster.
I'm editing my first feature in Final Cut Pro X, 10.2.1. 65 minutes. I've exported many, many files beforehand with no issue, including long projects with a variety of quality, resolution, and file-type.
Recently, I moved, and was careful to keep my external hard drive and Mac safe. Upon booting up Final Cut Pro to continue work on the feature, I found I couldn't export anymore. Whenever I attempted to do so, I would get the "Out of Application Memory" error, and am forced to force quit Final Cut Pro.
I've deleted the only folder in the Motion Templates folder, mLut, and it didn't help. So I re-installed mLut (which had an update).
I've deleted preferences, generated render files, and booted up in safe mode.
Is it possibly an audio plug-in causing this? Fonts? I've looked everywhere, and can't find an answer to the situation. I was laughed off of Reddit for having an "elderly" system. It's the best I can afford right now.
Help!

Thank you!

System:
Mac Pro: El Capitan 10.11.16
Final Cut Pro X 10.2.1
32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB

Please Log in to join the conversation.

On Export, Out of Application Memory - FCP 10.2.1, El Capitan 10.11.16 12 Jun 2021 21:38 #114972

How much free space do you on your system drive?

On Export, Out of Application Memory - FCP 10.2.1, El Capitan 10.11.16 12 Jun 2021 22:33 #114973

The system currently has about 15 GB left on a 500 GB drive. The library file is on an external 1 TB capacity hard drive with about 80 GB of space. I’ve also consolidated the project files.

On Export, Out of Application Memory - FCP 10.2.1, El Capitan 10.11.16 12 Jun 2021 22:59 #114974

The system drive is full and useless at this point. You need at least 10-15% free space to run the system effectively. The external is essentially full as well. You have to free up space on the drives.

On Export, Out of Application Memory - FCP 10.2.1, El Capitan 10.11.16 12 Jun 2021 23:25 #114975

I’ll do that, thank you! I appreciate the help! Will check back in if that doesn’t solve it!

On Export, Out of Application Memory - FCP 10.2.1, El Capitan 10.11.16 13 Jun 2021 02:35 #114977

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 644
That system drive should have minimum 75 GB free space.
That external should have minimum 150 GB free space.
Do what Tom says, save. yourself a ton of headache and heart ache.

On Export, Out of Application Memory - FCP 10.2.1, El Capitan 10.11.16 14 Jun 2021 02:04 #114986

Thank you both for the advice!
Today I cleared off more than enough GB for both, and I’m still getting the error. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

On Export, Out of Application Memory - FCP 10.2.1, El Capitan 10.11.16 14 Jun 2021 11:25 #114989

Up early troubleshooting! I’ve trashed preferences, disabled background rendering, deleted render files, disabled titles, all to no avail, still getting the same error. I’m going to try logging in as a different user next.

On Export, Out of Application Memory - FCP 10.2.1, El Capitan 10.11.16 14 Jun 2021 13:12 #114990

I opened an older backup, and that can export just fine. I’ve since mixed all of the sound and made specific trims, a month’s worth of work, so I don’t want to redo all of that.
What could have changed in-between?!
Still troubleshooting...thank you both for your help so far.

On Export, Out of Application Memory - FCP 10.2.1, El Capitan 10.11.16 14 Jun 2021 21:58 #114992

Now the project won’t even open without running out of application memory. Pulling out my hair!
I have backups, but none are recent enough.

On Export, Out of Application Memory - FCP 10.2.1, El Capitan 10.11.16 15 Jun 2021 00:14 #114993

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
Have you deleted all render files?

On Export, Out of Application Memory - FCP 10.2.1, El Capitan 10.11.16 15 Jun 2021 00:52 #114994

I thank you for your patience and help.
I did do that; if I can get the latest and greatest version of the project up and running, I’ll try it again.

I tried many things today; copied the project to another external drive and tried running it off of that. It opened, so I made a copy of the project into a new library, which promptly didn’t copy over. Same file size, but I don’t see the project.

Then, I decided to try my luck with the main project file again, and it wouldn’t open, with another application memory error.
Perhaps I need even more space on the disks, but I am over 20% freed up on both.

The only thing I can think of that changed when I moved, is that I copied the project file onto an external from the system drive, and consolidated it, and it hasn’t been the same since. I seemed to start getting that error after that. Only thing I can think of.

Again, I thank everyone for their patience and help so far; this movie is my passion project, I wrote, directed, acted, filmed, edited, and scored this flick, and its 95% finished, if I can figure this application memory problem out.

On Export, Out of Application Memory - FCP 10.2.1, El Capitan 10.11.16 15 Jun 2021 16:00 #115001

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 205
Hi Scarecrow88
Welcome to the fcp.co forums. Sorry to hear about your problems. Especially hard for passion projects, so I hope you get your work back.
Your situation has multiple complications that could be the cause.
Older computer
Older software
Drives too full to function properly
Corrupt data on copy
Incompatible plug-ins
Any of the above may be a cause

Some suggestions…
Run EtreCheck on your system and look for flags in report. etrecheck.com or App Store

If you have Chrome installed this has been known to cause memory issues, get rid of it and reboot.
You have done complete re-boots right? This will flush caches and temp files.

What codecs, resolution, size of files are in your project? Sometimes camera codecs can conflict. Do you have lots of stills? Sometimes very large photos can cause problems.
Keep ProApp support up to date.

Older computers and OS's may have conflicts in the firmware/software. Lots of things have changed with the current versions so it is possible to install software that has conflicts like in the FCPX library structure, etc…. Plug-ins are notorious for conflicts.

Yes keep drives 25% empty if possible. The system needs room to breath, it has to write files and if not enough room, it will be crazy sloooooow with lots of spinning beachballs.
Activity Monitor (Utilities folder) is your friend here. Do you see lots of "Swaps" under the "Memory" tab?
What apps are using memory? What percentage of CPU activity is reported in what app?

How did you copy and consolidate the project? Did you consolidate inside of FCPX or did you use Finder?
Did the copying finish before you Quit FCPX? Check file sizes.

Given what you said that older back-ups do work(?) but not later BU files, then it points to something happening between backups. Do the dates match when you "Consolidated"? Any plugins added during this time? Once a file gets corrupted (copying maybe) it will be reproduced in each subsequent auto backup so you may be limited to only back ups prior to issue.
Please make separate hard drive copy/clones now, as you try to restore files. I try to keep ~3 active backups.

Can you export a XML file? Sometimes exporting an XML and then opening it may resolve conflicts, but this is very version specific as to results, but worth a try.

Hope you can resolve this.
Best of Luck, Greg

On Export, Out of Application Memory - FCP 10.2.1, El Capitan 10.11.16 15 Jun 2021 19:34 #115006

Greg,

Thank you so much for this!

I discovered this morning that my Mac read 16GB of RAM, which isn't right. I took out and re-inserted each RAM card, and it read 32GB again. That may have happened in the move.

I uninstalled Google Chrome, and ran EtreCheck.
It told me that my hard drive is slow. I also ran a BlackMagic speed test, and my drive is great for NTSC/PAL, but not so good for 1080p HD, which is what I'm making the film in. Although I don't think any of that has changed since I began the project, which I began editing March 2020. I've dealt with the sluggishness and been patient with it before, and it always came through.

I have done full reboots, and did an SMC reset, an NVRAM reset, and a safe boot today. The Mac overall has been running a little faster.

The film project settings are at 1080p, 23.98 fps. The source files are a combination of .mov, .mp4, .jpg, .png, .mp3, just about whatever I can grab and bring into the timeline. I had stills in earlier cuts/projects, but never had any issues. This current project a few stills, all 1080p or smaller. This current library is the third iteration of the project; I've been "mixing down" each cut into an .mov file, and bringing that .mov into a fresh project and library.
Each project/cut has utilized a multitude of formats, and I haven't had any issues so far. One silver lining is that I do have a rough cut that I could go back to and use to rebuild what I have, BUT...it's from March of this year. Two-and-a-half months of ADR, sound mixing, and fine cut editing out the window.

Any developer plug-ins I used on this current "Third Cut" project film, I'd used on the "Second Cut," which I rendered out and used as a starting point on the "Third Cut," which leaves me scratching my head. |Why wouldn't it work again?" I ask myself. The only thing added to the project was, while doing the sound mix, a laundry list of audio effects, primarily Logic and FCP proprietary effects; various compressors, limiters, EQs, etc.

I consolidated the current project in Final Cut Pro; I've since deleted the copy I'd made onto another external hard drive, in my frustration yesterday. I need to make another. The file size was correct, around 120GB for the library file, but it never showed the project inside the library. I need to re-copy it.

I'm going to re-open FCPX after I transfer some files, and watch the Activity Monitor. I've seen zero memory swapping going on, and Etrecheck also reported 0. I can share the Etrecheck report if it will help! :)

Excellent advice! I will certainly be backing up and making more copies...and I'm going to try and see if any of the Final Cut backups will open now. I tried one again last night, and it again wouldn't open, with the Application Memory error. IF I'm able to open any of the "Third Cut" (current project) library files, I will save an XML. Maybe it'll save my bacon!

Thank you for the kind words and advice, and I'll report back with results!

On Export, Out of Application Memory - FCP 10.2.1, El Capitan 10.11.16 16 Jun 2021 00:14 #115008

Was able to get the library and project open!
I began to export an XML file, and just as it seemed to finish processing, I got an “Operation couldn’t be completed. Invalid argument.”
A different error, so that’s something! I made another attempt, and was greeted with the old Application Memory error again.
BUT, at least I can open the project. I plan to back up what’s there by running the DVI and audio into RCA cables into my DVD recorder, so I have SOME sort of copy of where it’s at. I’ll take SD of my vision over nothing.
Mentioning the large images, the project DOES have one very large still image. I plan to replace it with a smaller version, and trash the large version from the library.
I watched the Activity Log during the library and project boot. It began low, FCP using 330 MB;
then it gradually went up to 800, back down to 300...then gradually up to 70 GB. 50 GB was compressed memory. By then, the library had loaded. The entire time, the memory pressure was perfectly fine and low.
The swap used was 47 MB. The CPU percentage of FCP while the library was open, fluctuated between 60% and 112%.

So, progress is being made, and I’ve got an okay backup plan in case I can never export it. But, I hope I can!

Thank you again for your help so far!

On Export, Out of Application Memory - FCP 10.2.1, El Capitan 10.11.16 17 Jun 2021 14:28 #115030

I’ve used Digital Rebellion’s free trial of Pro Maintenance to do a project repair and housecleaning.
I went to share the master file, and it is now on “Preparing media for share,” and has been for about 20 minutes. It’s usually crashed by now.
There may be hope!

On Export, Out of Application Memory - FCP 10.2.1, El Capitan 10.11.16 24 Jun 2021 00:57 #115134

Any other sage wisdom on this? I’m on the ledge here.

On Export, Out of Application Memory - FCP 10.2.1, El Capitan 10.11.16 24 Jun 2021 11:47 #115149

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
Verify at least 15% of your system drive's total capacity is left as free space.

On Export, Out of Application Memory - FCP 10.2.1, El Capitan 10.11.16 24 Jun 2021 12:29 #115152

Absolutely, I've got 25% +. Thank you :)

I uninstalled VLC last night, and now this morning two of my essential video files have been converted to mov.wav. Any idea how to counteract that?

I'll be gray by the time this film comes out, either from insanity or age!

• Page: