fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

FCP 10.5.2 soft image for H265 15 May 2021 17:07 #114514

I've made a move over to Apple Silicon. My trusty iMAC didn't hold out long enough to be able to get the M1 iMAC so I bought the Mini. For a little tiny thing it is amazing. I edit a lot in FCP and I've noticed an anomaly with H265 files. This the HEVC codec typical in DJI drones. The clips appear quite soft when scrubbing or with the play head just sitting there. During playback the clip is very sharp and crisp. This is not a problem with H264 or ProRes, just H265. At some point that I haven't been able to figure out the image sharpness "snaps" into place. All of sudden the still image on the screen is nice and sharp. If I do a colour adjustment the clip immediately goes soft and stays soft for usually 15 to 30 seconds and then snaps back to place. It's a real pain because you simply can't evaluate sharpness. Or even decent colour. But on playback, under any circumstance, the image appears sharp. All the software is up to date. I use the Better Quality Optimized Original settings. This was not an issue on my old 2013 iMac with FCP 10.4. I've included a couple of examples, soft and sharp of a small section of a clip.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: