fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Library and media on one M.2 external SSD drive 13 May 2021 17:01 #114489

Normally I edit with two external SSD drives. One for my media and one for the FCPX library. Currently I am rethinking my workflow. I am thinking of buying one fast and big M.2 SSD drive for both the media and the library. Is there a known problem for this workflow and if yes, what is a better way? Till a new 16" is annouched, I am using FCPX on a base M1 Air. So I am going to use Thunderbolt 3. I am working with mainly ProRess and occasionally BRAW. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Library and media on one M.2 external SSD drive 14 May 2021 13:08 #114502

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 637
I use one HHD RAID and all my Libraries are self-contained (managed media) and I have zero issues with performance. I think the two SSDs as you have now is a bit overkill.

Library and media on one M.2 external SSD drive 14 May 2021 22:14 #114506

I have used a Thunderbolt 1-connected SSD with an old 2012 MBP in the past with Library and media in one folder on the SSD. Basically, I had a project folder with the Library inside it along with other folders containing original footage, stock footage, music, SFX, GFX, etc. So everything associated with the project is in one place. I had no problems at all.

I now have an M1 Mac Mini 16GB RAM using the same approach. I'm using a 2TB M2 NVMe SSD (in an OWC Envoy Express enclosure) connected with TB3. So far, absolutely no problems )other than an unrelated audio issue).

• Page: