fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Basic Resolution Questions 05 May 2021 22:54 #114353

I recently uploaded to FCPX some mini DV footage shot on a canon XL2. I have some basic questions. Any help is much appreciated!The footage was imported at 720 x 480 SD. I created synced compound clips on a timeline that was set to 1280 x 720.
  1. Is it preferable to create compound clips and edit at the same resolution that they were imported at (720 x 480)? Why or why not?
  2. Is it possible to edit with clips at different resolutions and then export them all as 1?
If these are stupid questions, what am I missing?

Thank you!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Basic Resolution Questions 06 May 2021 00:31 #114354

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 637
There are no stupid questions, just stupid... well.. we're all stupid, nobody notices, don't worry about it.

Putting them into a compound clip will do nothing to help increase resolution, 720x480 is all the data you have, and not much can change that ( maybe Topaz Video Enhance AI, which I like).

Yes, you can mix clips of different resolutions and frame rates in the same Project just fine. Normally you make the Project the resolution of the smallest frame size.

Basic Resolution Questions 06 May 2021 18:04 #114364

haha thanks Ben! I appreciate it.

If we want a uniform resolution to the final project, then our best bet is to edit everything at 720 x 480? And then export at 720 x 480? Or you're saying that we can edit clips at different resolutions and when we export them at 720 x 480, they'll all be the same?

Basic Resolution Questions 06 May 2021 20:48 #114365

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 637
Your project is one frame size, but you can place videos of other sizes in it. Then resize them to fit as you want. 720x480 is old standard def video, and if you want to output high def video, you have to make a choice on how to handle the SD video. Enlarging it to HD size will pixelate it and it will look horrible. You could put a copy on top of itself, enlarge the bottom copy and apply a Gaussian blur to it. That way you have the SD at it's native size, small in the center of the screen, and the screen behind is filled with a blurred, enlarged copy. Or find someone to enlarge it with specialty (expensive) software. But as far as doing the whole thing at standard def resolution, I'd not do it. Even 99% of YT is HD now.

• Page: