fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Newbie Questions 06 Mar 2021 14:56 #113136

I realized that although I downloaded the openers and transitions and so on. I couldn't use them within fcpX. I googled and many times it just repeated the things I knew from a tutorial I was following along. However I then found a video that showed all the mistakes you can make and I found one.

Okay step by step...
1. I downloaded fcpX trial version
2. I found the plug ins on mixkit.co
3. I made sure that my folders in Motion Templates have the ending .localized as well as the Motion Templates folder
4. I downloaded some of the mixkit plug ins and placed them in folders where I thought they belong to. I stumbled across a youtube tutorial that said it's important to place the right plug-ins into the right folder otherwise they won't appear within fcpX.
5. This are the plug-ins I tried to load:
6. mixkit.co/free-final-cut-pro-templates/c...stortion-glitch-668/
* which I thought to be a transition but if I place it in the folder of Transition, neither the empty Transition folder nor the plug-in is visible
7. https://mixkit.co/free-final-cut-pro-templates/broadcaster-style-lower-third-670/
8. which I placed into the lower thirds folder but again neither the empty lower thirds folder nor the plug-in is visible
9. same for this: mixkit.co/free-final-cut-pro-templates/c...ame-lower-third-719/
10. https://mixkit.co/free-final-cut-pro-templates/light-leak-motion-opener-728/ or mixkit.co/free-final-cut-pro-templates/c...l-glitch-opener-726/
11. does fcpX support an "Opener" folder?
12. https://mixkit.co/free-final-cut-pro-templates/pixel-grid-glitch-promo-730/
13. does fcpX support an "Promotion" folder?
I just wanted to see if I can work with the free stuff so that I now what I should be considering buying. And not just buying stuff from which I really have no clue.

Conclusion:Even though I have multiple folders like "Transitions", "Titles", "Generators" etc. the only two folders that appear within fcpX are "Titles" and "Generators".mixkit.co/free-final-cut-pro-templates/shape-glitch-reveal-655/ is the only plug in I could see in fcpX after downloading and placing in the folder.Thank you very much for your help!
Best wishes
yvesbou

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by peteramwiggins.

Newbie Questions 06 Mar 2021 16:10 #113145

Please post Screen shots of your Motion Templates folder in column View so we can see what you’re doing. Dud you .localized the Titles and Transitions folders?

Newbie Questions 06 Mar 2021 20:21 #113149

yes I added .localized ...

Newbie Questions 06 Mar 2021 20:31 #113150

Please post the screenshots. If they look correct, then you'd have to contact the developer, but the category should show up at least in the Transitions browser of FCP.

Newbie Questions 06 Mar 2021 22:01 #113152

How do I unsubscribe from all these topics?

Newbie Questions 07 Mar 2021 00:11 #113154

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 614
"...the only two folders that appear within fcpX are "Titles" and "Generators"

You do know that Effects and Transitions are in the bottom right of the GUI, not the same location as Titles and Generators, yes?

Newbie Questions 08 Mar 2021 19:46 #113213

I added them to the initial post

Newbie Questions 08 Mar 2021 19:49 #113214

I don't know anything, which folders does one need to store the different plug-ins?

Newbie Questions 08 Mar 2021 20:05 #113215

Motion Templates should only contain Effects, Titles, Generators, and Transitions. Those folders should be localized as well. The other items that are in Motion Templates folder should be moved to out of there to their appropriate location. Inside each of the folders in Motion Templates can create category folders. The plugins need to be in category folders, they can't be on their own. You can either use the exiting FCP categories or create your own category names. The actual plugin you got goes into the category folder. That's the normal way. Other developers might do things differently and might structure their folders differently. Check the exact method they give for installation. That said some developers tell users to do stupid things.

Attachments:

Last edit: by peteramwiggins.

Newbie Questions 11 Mar 2021 20:56 #113327

Thanks for your explanations.
So I delete Compositions -> since nothing in there
A few questions remain though.
To which folder do lower thirds belong to?
What do you think.. to which folder do "opener" and "promotion" belong to?

Last edit: by yvesbou.

Newbie Questions 11 Mar 2021 21:04 #113328

Lower thirds are titles. Look inside the folder and see what the Motion project extension is. Effects are .moef. Generators are .motn. Titles are .moti. Transitions are .motr.

Newbie Questions 12 Mar 2021 01:07 #113332

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 614
Do not delete Compositions, Motion and FCP use that. Just leave it and ignore it.

• Page: