fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Laggy Multicam Editing 05 Mar 2021 02:09 #113093

• CapTan
  • CapTan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
New to FCP. I have a 2019 Macbook Pro 16. 32GB RAM and 5500M 8 GB. Shouldn't this laptop be able to handle 4 angles and main view without lag or stutter. 4K content 30 Frames.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Laggy Multicam Editing 05 Mar 2021 11:34 #113100

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 419

CapTan wrote: New to FCP. I have a 2019 Macbook Pro 16. 32GB RAM and 5500M 8 GB. Shouldn't this laptop be able to handle 4 angles and main view without lag or stutter. 4K content 30 Frames.

I have that same laptop -- it is fast. FCP is also the fastest and smoothest of all editing software. However even *it* cannot always edit four 4k H264 angles with perfect smoothness, nor can any other editing software.

There is some variation in how each H264 or HEVC file is encoded. Some are more compressed and difficult than others. Typically material from a DJI drone is very sluggish and hard to edit. But some 4k 10-bit 4:2:2 content from various cameras can also be difficult -- especially four simultaneous angles.

You can try turning the viewer from "better quality" to "better performance" or create proxies for those files, then set the viewer to proxy mode.

Some cameras can simultaneously record in-camera proxies that newer versions of FCP can link to, avoiding the need of generating them on your computer.

Using camera-generated proxies in FCP:

FCP media formats:

Laggy Multicam Editing 05 Mar 2021 18:31 #113124

• CapTan
  • CapTan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for your input. The editing starts off ok. Better performance helps. I need to try proxies as you mentioned as it’s a pain to edit with all the lag. I’m editing aviation videos with multiple angles Before this feature I would have stayed away from using more than 2 go pros.

Laggy Multicam Editing 06 Mar 2021 15:11 #113142

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 614
Laptops do not have the GPU power of desktops, and are not great at 4K multicam work, especially with H.264 formats like GoPro uses. I would never agree any laptop ever made is good at 4K multicam work without proxies. Proxies are the way to go with editing 4K multicams on any laptop.

• Page: