fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Learning FCP X as a former FCP 6 expert 27 Jan 2021 04:08 #112353

I used to edit video professionally in the 2000's. I worked with FCP versions 3 through 6 and was fluid with just about everything. I changed careers in 2009, then recently decided I'd like to pull in my video skills to bolster what I'm doing now. I figured I could live with learning the usual moving of buttons and adding of features, and dove in buying 10.5. (I did similarly with Photoshop and it wasn't too bad.) Holy crap is FCP 10.5 frustratingly different from what I knew! It's a good thing I wasn't hoping to continue with my old projects because the software won't even open it's own old project files -- crazy. But enough whining.

I have loads of questions but let me just pick a couple, so as not to annoy everyone as new person on this forum.

1. Is there a way to work with keyframes in multiple video layers in the timeline, while keeping each clip small so I can see all the layers (say 10) at once? I'm used to importing layered photoshop files and animating them like this, and want to do that again. I also like to manually do my opacity fades on dual layers rather than rely on transitions, for more control and less rigidness if things have to move. In FCP 10.5, it seems that I need a cumbersomely wide Video Animation Bar on each layer to see any keyframes in the timeline, even if I'm just messing with opacity (see pic for example). Can that be customized and made smaller? I want to see my keyframes on many many layers at once. Is there some better way?

2. Could you point me in the right direction for general guidance on making the transition to FCP 10.5, as a former expert who's never used FCP X? Any good tutorials out there on this? The ones I find either (A) are about tiny recent changes for folks who have kept with the times, or (B) spend most of the time on introductions to the whole concept of video editing.

Thanks very much in advance.

Joe
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Learning FCP X as a former FCP 6 expert 27 Jan 2021 08:00 #112354

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 590
First, forget everything you knew about FCP in the old days. NOTHING about it translates to FCP 10. macProVideo and RippleTraining are the two best trainings out there. Do a course, learn it the right way, and NEVER try to compare 10 with the legacy versions, and you'll be good.

As for your first question, well, keyframing isn't as detailed as before, but, I've personally never needed it to be. Make markers on. your primate storyline clips, you're good.

Learning FCP X as a former FCP 6 expert 27 Jan 2021 11:36 #112356

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 405

j0equ1nn wrote: ...Could you point me in the right direction for general guidance on making the transition to FCP 10.5...

These tutorials are aimed at experienced Avid editors transitioning to FCP, which could also apply for your FCP 6 (circa 2007) background: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZEWB-9BQ2DW-gwBlJJaWNg

As Ben said, do not try to use FCP like older versions. FCP is designed for a different workflow and if used properly is extremely fast. See the free 60-sec Ripple Training "Quick Tips, Vol 1":

www.rippletraining.com/blog/final-cut-pr...ck-tips-volume-1/Vol 2:

www.rippletraining.com/blog/final-cut-pr...ck-tips-volume-2/Vol 3:

www.rippletraining.com/blog/final-cut-pr...icktips-volume-3/Vol 4:

www.rippletraining.com/blog/final-cut-pr...icktips-volume-4/Vol 5:

www.rippletraining.com/blog/final-cut-pr...-quicktips-volume-5/

Additional free tutorials:

www.youtube.com/channel/UCOE_zSaeU1xd9yIk6kfwf_A

Last edit: by joema.

Learning FCP X as a former FCP 6 expert 27 Jan 2021 15:49 #112359

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 590
This Apple white paper on moving from legacy FCP has helped a lot of folks, also.
www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/docs/Final_C...ut_Pro_7_Editors.pdf

Learning FCP X as a former FCP 6 expert 27 Jan 2021 19:13 #112363

That reference is great! Thanks. To anyone having my general problem, I recommend you download that white paper.

If I may offer an opinion, I think Apple should have called this a new application all together. To not support file types of the previous version is drastic enough of a change to warrant that. This isn't buying a new guitar; it's changing what instrument you play.

Learning FCP X as a former FCP 6 expert 27 Jan 2021 19:30 #112364

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 405

j0equ1nn wrote: ...I think Apple should have called this a new application all together. To not support file types of the previous version is drastic enough of a change to warrant that...

The need for a better transition was discussed in the documentary "Off the Tracks": 

Learning FCP X as a former FCP 6 expert 27 Jan 2021 22:53 #112372

Cool. This doesn't solve the problem of course, but is nice for sanity purposes, as it shows I'm not crazy for feeling this way!

Learning FCP X as a former FCP 6 expert 28 Jan 2021 08:35 #112377

What you're asking for is probably impossible to do exactly like that, in FCP X. You may be able to achieve the final effect you're looking for within FCP X, but the tools, the UI, and the moves you have to make, in FCP X are quite different.
If animating layers of Photoshop is what you wish to do, then Premiere Pro will do it as well. And with UI elements more similar to FCP 6 than FCP X is to FCP 6.
Resolve 16 and 17 are also good substitutes for FCP 6/7 as far as motion graphics within the edit timeline is concerned.

Although, since you've paid for FCP X, investing further time, and in an online course, will give you other benefits of features in FCP X which don't exist in other NLEs.

Stuff to remember...
Library = Project
Project = Sequence
Event = Bin
Clip = Clip
Keyword = No substitute

A timeline (FCP 6/7) is a racetrack, clips are cars in lanes, many cars stuck one behind the other.
A project (FCPX) is a tree on its side, clips are leaves attached to branches, many trees sideways, one behind the other.

Neil Sadwelkar

• Page: