fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cutting a Zoom video

Cutting a Zoom video 29 Nov 2020 17:33 #111113

• Rosie70
  • Rosie70's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Evening all. This isn't a pretty sounding project I know - a friend's client recorded a zoom video interview between themselves and a guest (it's over 40 mins long). Even though the audio track syncs well for the first few minutes, it drops out of sync slightly when the guest appears on screen. I don't know if this is zoom dropping frames, a separate latency issue or something else. Has anyone here cut a video recorded on Zoom on FCP 7 and if so what issues did you have ? Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cutting a Zoom video 29 Nov 2020 18:11 #111116

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 571
I do lots of editing of Zoom footage.  First, I don’t bother with the audio tracks, as I don’t really need to.  The audio on the video track is good enough.  But, if you do need to use separate audio for each person, yeah, you’re glad those audio files are there.  
So, anyway, it’s about the audio sample rate.  Video standard is 48kHz and your FCP projects default to that.  Zoom is I think only 44.1.  I’d verify the audio sample rate of your Project and clips match.  Mis-matched sample rates is what causes audio drifting out of sync.

Cutting a Zoom video 29 Nov 2020 18:24 #111117

• Rosie70
  • Rosie70's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Ben, that's really kind of you and helpful. Appreciate it. Zoom audio now converted to 48.

Cutting a Zoom video 29 Nov 2020 21:46 #111119

Aren't Zoom calls always going in and out sync? That's what I was seeing during the FCP Summit presentations. 

Cutting a Zoom video 01 Dec 2020 04:12 #111142

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 571
I have weekly Zoom meetings for work.  I record Zoom based interviews for a couple of TV shows weekly.  No, Zoom usually does not go in and out of sync.  The Summit had issues I’ve never seen in Zoom before, but then, they’re broadcasting that out to a lot of people, and if a presenter had sub-par internet in their home, yeah, that could have done it.

Cutting a Zoom video 01 Dec 2020 12:32 #111148

Thanks Ben.

• Page: