fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Replace source videos with different same-length sources, keeping all edits?

Replace source videos with different same-length sources, keeping all edits? 14 Nov 2020 11:54 #110845

I recently finished editing a project that has three source videos as its underlying footage. There are many cuts. After finishing the edit, I was able to do some restoration work on the source material, but I don't see any way to link the new source videos to the already-existing edits. Is this possible?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replace source videos with different same-length sources, keeping all edits? 15 Nov 2020 14:24 #110872

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 401
In some cases you can relink to new source media files and preserve existing edits. Known relink criteria below. This is also a good reason to use multicam clips wherever possible, as all downstream timelines inherit changes in the parent multicam. Even if using a single camera and external audio, use multicam for that reason. That way if relink doesn't work you can simply swap the existing clip within the multicam and all timeline edits using that multicam will immediately get the new material.

FCPX relink constraints:

- Files must have the same audio config (same number of channels), but sample rate can differ.

- Pixel aspect ratio should be the same, but it may relink even if different. This could result in a squeezed or stretched frame.

- Clip duration must be the same or longer. If longer, then later relinking to the original clip won't work because the new target will then be shorter.

- File suffix must be the same.

- Codec need not be the same, e.g. you can create 720p H264 proxies and relink to those as original media.

- After relinking to a different resolution file, the viewer may show a window-boxed screen. This is typically a cache issue and can sometimes be resolved by deleting the FCPX cache, which is either stored in the library or outside as defined by the library inspector. The cache is a file bundle named LibraryName.fcpcache.

If relink fails it is often beneficial to try and relink a single file. In that case (but not the multi-file case), FCPX may state why the relink failed.

It is often informative to use the 3rd-party tool Invisor to compare side-by-side the video header metadata from the two files when relink fails: apps.apple.com/us/app/invisor-media-file...or/id442947586?mt=12

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: