fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Optimum workflow for Sony RAW

Optimum workflow for Sony RAW 10 Nov 2020 16:54 #110779

I am gonna receive Sony RAW files from a F55

MXF (OP-1a)
Sony RAW SQ

Seems it wont' import out of the box into FcpX 10.4.6. (can't do higher)

Best workflow ? thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Xavier Novembre.

Optimum workflow for Sony RAW 11 Nov 2020 13:22 #110789

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 401
I think you can convert that to ProRes with Sony's Catalyst Browse or maybe Catalyst Prepare or DaVinci Resolve. However I've never done it.

Edit/add: there is Sony RAW viewer here, not sure if it can convert: www.sonycreativesoftware.com/rawviewer

There was a discussion in this thread: www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/...ny-f5-raw-4k-footage

We have an FS5-II but use ProRes RAW to a Shogun 7. The benefit of ProRes RAW is it's just like ProRes -- plays in Finder, roughly same size as regular ProRes, no conversion or transcoding required, and is fast to edit. Some short ProRes RAW test clips from an FS5 and Shogun Inferno can be downloaded from here: www.dropbox.com/s/e1jhakc2wx4f39i/Filmpl...estfiles-16.zip?dl=0

I realize you were given the Sony RAW SQ files and must deal with those. This situation illustrates the benefit of a standardized RAW format vs a camera-proprietary format.

Despite these advantages, I am still not totally convinced if ProRes RAW is worth it, vs regular ProRes. My team is doing a lot of testing on this using the new A7SIII. Since we already have and use several Ninja Vs, we essentially get ProRes RAW for free -- it's just a config option on the camera and recorder. However (as implied by RAW) it is totally unprocessed and tends to be a bit noisier than regular ProRes, requiring more use of Neat Video in low light shots. It cleans up very nicely but Neat Video is a performance hassle. I'm also not convinced that HSL masks are working correctly on ProRes RAW, but I have more testing to do.

Last edit: by joema.

Optimum workflow for Sony RAW 12 Nov 2020 10:16 #110801

Thank you, very informative

(I confirm that the Sony viewer doesn't transcode )

• Page: